Stage 2 Maf problems?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stage 2 Maf problems?
Right.
Current mods are free flowing exhaust system, egr delete, 2.25" to 3" fmic, air-con delete, 1.5 bar on stock turbo, cg ceramic paddle clutch, ram air cone filter and a stage 2 whippy map.
[attachment=17991]

I've recently realised that if I unplug my maf I seem to be getting better fuel economy and running quicker than if I have it plugged in. Is this shouting out naffed Maf or just the fact im lacking a decent cold air feed in our recent warm weather?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the MAF is shot, but it probably would run even better with a stock airbox with the cold air feed as the cone will be sucking in a fair amount of hot air off the rad
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Busted MAF. Either replace it with a known good one, or have it mapped out.
JP
Thanks given by:
That filter might be too restrictive, worth checking before shelling out for a maf imo.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I did wonder whether that filter may have spunked all it's oil all over the maf....
JP
Thanks given by:
It looks like a dry foam filter to me?
Thanks given by:
Yeah as above, I was more thinking of it being too small.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Fair point, you are right. My ramair filters are the same. Dry.

I'll shut up.
JP
Thanks given by:
Those filters are pretty damn free flowing, i'd be surprised if it was being restrictive (other than sucking in hot air)
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers i'll try a new maf then. As for oil the brether has been removed from the inlet so theres no oil in the inlet (except turbo weeping)
Thanks given by:
The maf is maxed out even on a stage1 remap.. Get your remapper to make it maffless or fit a bigger maf
Thanks given by:
Can't help with your problem but loving your engine bay. Inlove
Thanks given by:
I've been an advocate of the MAF delete for a while, I got shot down when I suggested it a good while ago on this forum. I've had some good success with MAF removal on these cars... just gotta watch the smoke!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
You will never master the smoke mafless on them. The needed maps are too small. Fit the original sendor in a bigger housing instead. 3" is a good size. Smile
Thanks given by:
Ive got a 2.2 hdi maf. 80mm diameter and bigger perameters i belive, will have to ask pro_steve about that though he figured it all out.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm pretty sure Steve still misses a few limiters in his 'bigger MAF remaps' Smile
Thanks given by:
I think mine was the first he did, if you know more im sure he and i would love to know to help fine tune mine any more
Thanks given by:
Sure, send me the file, I'll take a look at it.
Thanks given by:
No offence slam wagon but that isn't very sporting sending someone else's map to another tuner. I would ask steve first tbh.

If anyone can sort it though, tb can!!
JP
Thanks given by:
I dont have a copy, only he has. I was just asking if he could share some knowlege as he seems to have more, especially than me.

And your right jp, as far as im concerned thats his property, his creation.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that's the right way to look at it.
JP
Thanks given by:
May have to give the 2.2 hdi maf a try then Smile been bit busy painting atm
P.s cheers for the bay love lol
Thanks given by:
Iirc the 2.2 maf does not give you much more measurable flow. Fit the original sensor in a 3" housing, like the 2.8 housing.
Thanks given by:
Will the map have to be changed for this?
Thanks given by:
Yep. It will
JP
Thanks given by:
Even if i fit the 2.0 maf sensor in a 2.8 housing
Thanks given by:
Yes, more flow at the same voltage.
Thanks given by:
Ok cheers Smile jammapic, what sort of magic could you work for me then on the setup im running?
Full straight through
Cg paddle clutch
Stock turbo on 21psi
Aircon delete
Ram air filter
Oil breather deleted from inlet
a custom maf (or maf delete if better)
2.25" piping to 3" intercooler

Currently in the ball park of 160bhp 290lbft on a whippy stage 2 map
Thanks given by:
To be honest, without it being really smokey I think you are about where you want to be. Most I've seen from my maps on that setup is 301lbft and 174.9hp.
JP
Thanks given by:
Ok, cheers for the advice fella Smile
Thanks given by: