Free mods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free mods
Hey guys so I've had my hdi for a day or so now and was just wondering if there are any free/cheap mods or little changes that can be made to make things a bit better?
I have a straight pipe back box replacement from my old xud that can go on and a few different air filters to choose from, is there any major problems other than heat soak from running an open filter? Im having a day of tinkering and getting to know the car so any help or advice would be amazing Smile
Thanks
.ant
Thanks given by:
Er.... Not for free but there are loads for cheap

Remap is 50
Decat is 50.
Deegr is 2 quid.
Thanks given by:
Best off leaving standard filter on tbh

Or fittin a k&n panel filter in there

Stage one map as above is a cheap mod and will feel the benefit

Should have got a xud if you wanted free tuning Wink
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Wouldn't go for a cone filter they are worse for power and can damage the maf.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
(26-07-2014, 10:03 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Should have got a xud if you wanted free tuning Wink

After spending £100 on a Bosch... Tongue

As above though, forget the cone filter, no gains, and if its oiled will probably damage the MAF.
Thanks given by:
Lucarse are free Wink
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Yes...and shite. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Haha had 2 xud's in the past Smile this came up CHEAP so couldn't resist it, just been reading some bits on here about the standard air box so yeh that will be staying (just fancied a bit of turbo noise) is there any beneficial mods to the air box that anyone has made? Ie adding another air feed?
Thanks
.ant
Thanks given by:
keep it on topic guys
the OP is asking about HDI not XUD

Decat could be free depending how good you are with spanners (remove and smash the guts out the box)
Disable EGR free but ideally needs to be blanked off (could be free)
Don't touch the air filter other than replacing the filter for a clean one
service the car with good quality oil replace the fuel filter/clean up the Brakes make sure there not sticking
maybe change the gear linkages if there's a lot of slop

the list then tends to get more expensive
so depends what you call cheap
Thanks given by:
As has been said, K&N filters or any other oiled filter aren't any good for the HDi, the oil on the filter element seems to be very good at killing mafs. The standard airbox is excellent, just buy a decent quality oem filter for it. My car actually felt noticeably slower with a top-end BMC CDA enclosed filter than it did with the standard airbox, so i can't imagine a £20 cone will do better.

Also, midbox to backbox conversion is a good idea for better exhaust flow. There's various threads in the guide section covering stuff like this.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Xsara mist jets are a cheap mod around £5-6 on the bay
Some aero wiper blades will freshen the car up abit too
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys Smile im doing the drive shaft oil seals this week so will have a look at the cat wile im under there Smile only had the car 2 days and I've got the bug again already!
Thanks given by:
Just had my hdi for a week now where can you get maps for £50
Thanks given by:
Try Jammapic. Wink He's doing a deal atm, not sure if he's mentioned it... lol
Thanks given by:
Id love to buy a map while the deal is on but have no moneys left already, only got paid friday haha
Thanks given by:
Just in case you're thinking of it; don't use any free maps you can find around the internet or anywhere else, most will be awful, many will kill your ecu or engine.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks poodle, wouldn't dream of even downloading one let alone anywhere near my car haha what is the normal rate for a stage 1 map?
Thanks given by:
Varies massively, depends who you go to. Price generally depends on the mapping company's reputation and facilities as a business, rather than the quality of the map itself.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: