Wing mirror upgrade

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wing mirror upgrade
I started respraying my wing mirrors on the ph1 but after primer thought I wasn't going to get the finish I want. So now I'm looking for a later pair in black with the gloss caps.

Is it worth/possible to fit electic ones from say a ph3 gti etc as I have the wire running down the A pillar with the white/yellow plug on and the controls on the door card to control them as I've put the s16 interior in. Is it easy enough to wire up ?

I wouldn't be too bothered putting electric ones in and not wiring them up as once the mirrors are angled I never adjust them. Any thoughts?
Thanks given by:
theyre all interchangeable. Manual ones need the manual interior caps and electric ones can have tweeters or smooth ones.
Thanks given by:
Pretty much plug and play then? Quite like the idea of sticking some tweeters in actually.
Thanks given by:
I don't think wiring is there for the mirrors if it didn't have them from the factory. I put them in mine but got the wiring from a ph1 gti6. So it has electric mirrors and auto drivers window.
Thanks given by:
Was your drivers window not electric to begin with? I've always had electric windows but got mirror controls/switch in the door panel off an s16. I suppose I could pick the loom up for the mirror controls off a 6. I need to do all the door loom wiring again anyway so could add it in.
Main thing is just getting mirrors that look a bit smarter, they don't 'have' to be wired up I suppose.
Thanks given by:
No don't think any ph1 d turbos come with electric mirrors. Was only the xsi, s16 and gti6s that had electric mirrors. Mine had electric windows but the door wiring I put in had the wiring for drivers auto window as well.

You will need the wiring out of a ph1 gti6, xsi or s16 to be able to use the ph1 window switches.

I had electric mirrors fitted before I had them wired up as I got the inner covers from a ph3 with the inbuilt tweeters
Thanks given by:
Yea thought so cheers mate, I'll find one with the tweeters in Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wing mirror interior trim question clarkey2010 3 1,048 06-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Removing Wing mirror covers Jukie88 11 2,515 06-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Last Post: Jonny b
  Dismantle Wing Mirror MiiTCH 8 3,112 12-05-2012, 05:20 AM
Last Post: gareth7