temp problem!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
temp problem!
This has been really bugging me for a while! It will happily sit just under 90! Soon as I sit in traffic for a while it shoots up! Fans aren't kicking in! But I put water in it yesterday! Drive it down the road and I shoots up to 110 ;/ so I put my foot down thinking that would help! And it was still rising! What the hell is wrong with it!
Thanks given by:
Well if the fans aren't kicking in that'll be why the temperature is rising.
Have a read around the threads where people have had them fail, often it is the relay.

Be careful driving it, days are very hot lately and you could overheat it and have headgasket failure.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2014, 04:26 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Well if the fans aren't kicking in that'll be why the temperature is rising.
Have a read around the threads where people have had them fail, often it is the relay.

Be careful driving it, days are very hot lately and you could overheat it and have headgasket failure.

Thank you! I have been asking for some manly help haha
Thanks given by:
Think you need to check why the fans aren't coming on and the thermo stat.
Thanks given by:
how often you putting water in?

air lock maybe
Thanks given by:
If you're having to put water in, I'd be questioning where it's going...
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Agree about water loss. Not a good sign.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
To check to see if the fans are working, unplug the green plug on the thermostat on the right hand side of the engine. If they come on then the relays are fine, it could be a faulty bitron on unit.

If they don't come on then it's a wiring or relay fault.

I just re wired my 1st 6 so I could control them.

Alternately as people above have suggest you could have an air lock as this is common on the gti6. Bleed the cooling system properly. There probably is a guide on here somewhere.

If it's not an air lock then you need to look into where it's going.
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2014, 06:02 PM)6waysforward Wrote: To check to see if the fans are working, unplug the green plug on the thermostat on the right hand side of the engine. If they come on then the relays are fine, it could be a faulty bitron on unit.

Its the brown plug mate Smile

Green plug is ECU temp sender, Blue is dash temp sender and brown is cooling system temp sender Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2014, 06:02 PM)6waysforward Wrote: To check to see if the fans are working, unplug the green plug on the thermostat on the right hand side of the engine. If they come on then the relays are fine, it could be a faulty bitron on unit.

If they don't come on then it's a wiring or relay fault.

I just re wired my 1st 6 so I could control them.

Alternately as people above have suggest you could have an air lock as this is common on the gti6. Bleed the cooling system properly. There probably is a guide on here somewhere.

If it's not an air lock then you need to look into where it's going.

BROWN sender, not green, green is ecu.
Thanks given by:
I took a brown relay off as it was ticking last year.. Oops! Its not loosing water like that guys! Its not circulating properly!
Thanks given by:
Relays are supposed to tick. Wink
Thanks given by:
What constantly?
Thanks given by:
No, not constantly tbf lol. Where abouts was it from?
Thanks given by:
Hang on...a control unit that you didn't know the function of made a noise so you binned it and now you're not sure why some elctronically-controlled things aren't working?! Or am I misunderstanding that?

In any case, replace the thermostat and refill the system and make sure it is bledup properly with no airlocks, and check the fan wiring and control systems like the others have said.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2014, 06:04 PM)Niall Wrote:

Its the brown plug mate Smile

Green plug is ECU temp sender, Blue is dash temp sender and brown is cooling system temp sender Smile

Yup that's the one. The brown one Smile
Thanks given by:
I fixedte temperature issue I had water it just wasn't circulating! Need to fix the fan now! And fix the doorhandle that snapped off today haha! The list is getting bigger not smaller Sad
Thanks given by:
So what we all thought was wrong!! It was leaking the water through a broken hose which had a hole in! Which kind!y Paul (Cully) fixed! Reps to him!!
Thanks given by: