What's the difference in running "pure" veg oil and "sunflower" oil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the difference in running "pure" veg oil and "sunflower" oil
Just wondering if it's ok to run a 306 with bosch pump on sunflower oil? As I've just got a load cheap. And wondering what the main difference would be in running just normal veg oil and sunflower oil (I'm new to running it!)

Any advice appreciated
Thanks given by:
Sunflower oil is fine mate. It is actually better imo it smells better and is thinner so it's better on startup
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2014, 10:09 PM)aggyj17 Wrote: Sunflower oil is fine mate. It is actually better imo it smells better and is thinner so it's better on startup

Cheers Smile just got 50L from tesco for £40
Gonna get some more while it's on offer Big Grin
Thanks given by:
The 2 5l for £8 deal. That's where I've been going aswell :-)
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2014, 10:14 PM)aggyj17 Wrote: The 2 5l for £8 deal. That's where I've been going aswell :-)

Yeah, only noticed other day so thought I would give it a go haha
Thanks given by:
that's the stuff . . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Its really hard to start on Sunflower oil
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2014, 09:09 AM)kelvsere Wrote: Its really hard to start on Sunflower oil

easier than veg or soya . . . . .and it shouldn't be hard to start at all, sounds like you need new glow plugs fella. . . . Smile

guess you're just getting your post count up, i'll leave you to it then lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Haha yes trying to , i used to have a corsa D , it wouldnt start on sunflower oil at at all , it was a bag of %^&**& though, started easy on pure veg , so must be a diff
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2014, 09:14 AM)kelvsere Wrote: Haha yes trying to , i used to have a corsa D , it wouldnt start on sunflower oil at at all , it was a bag of %^&**& though, started easy on pure veg , so must be a diff

yes there is, sunflower is quite a bit better than veg . .so don't understand that problem at all.
Thanks given by:
Corsa D's are CR engines aren't they? That'd probably explain it lol..
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah i wasnt expecting it not to like it but it only just started on the stuff , i tried it a second time by using half veg and half sun , and it took a fair few turnovers to kick up .
Thanks given by:
long as it doesnt have palm oil in the mix you should be fine.. palm oil has a higher gel temperature which means you will run into problems with it if it gets cold!
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Is there a specific pump you need for this - I was led to believe there are two possible types - Bosch and Lucas.
But the seals on the Lucas wont last.

My has been at this for a while on Audi's - he has a preheater tank for Winter time and also he recommended adding some diesel to the mix to keep the tank circulating....
I've done this before with a Citron BX estate with 100% ra*e seed iol and it was grand - we called it the batter burger cos of the smell from behind......
Thanks given by:
ra*e seed oil is top stuff but noramlly most expensive...

a quick search will find 100s of threads asking what pump to use for veg...answer is always the same - BOSCH!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: