knocking/clunking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
knocking/clunking
Hi all, im new to this forum but have used alot of info from here which has been very helpful.

I've recently developed a clunking/knocking sound that can be felt through the pedals whilst reversing and braking, it does it every time I apply the brake pedal. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance.
Thanks given by:
bound to be a wishbone bush ? try jabbing brake pedal when doing about 5mph....can you feel and hear it by your feet ?
Thanks given by:
yeh check the wishbone bushes. Possibly the engine mounts but wishbone bushes would be the first thing to check!
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2014, 04:38 PM)SRowell Wrote: yeh check the wishbone bushes. Possibly the engine mounts but wishbone bushes would be the first thing to check!

I checked wishbone bushes the other day, they're vibratechnics bushes and have only done less than 700 miles, I checked the bolts were torqued up, though i noticed the bolt that goes through the front bush doesn't have a washer on it like the other side. Could this cause the problem? Also had the drive shaft out recently and put new calipers and discs/pads on. Engine mounts look knackered tbh but the sound does seem to be coming from the n/s footwell.

Thanks.

(09-07-2014, 03:48 PM)daddyfixit Wrote: bound to be a wishbone bush ? try jabbing brake pedal when doing about 5mph....can you feel and hear it by your feet ?

Yes i can but only in reverse though. I'll have to check the wishbone bushes again i think.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Check your caliper bolts are the whole way in.
Mine did this sort of clunking when braking at low speeds. Turned out although the bottom caliper bolt was tight, it was still a few mm out becuase of dirt buildup inside.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I would have said have a look at the brakes too...

Pad may be moving around, I had this problem 1 knock going forward but nothing until reversing then another. Changed discs and pads due to wear never happened again...
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2014, 10:01 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Check your caliper bolts are the whole way in.
Mine did this sort of clunking when braking at low speeds. Turned out although the bottom caliper bolt was tight, it was still a few mm out becuase of dirt buildup inside.

Going to check the caliper today if the weather holds up.
Thanks given by:
Thumbs Down 
Fixed! Was the bottom caliper bolt, was a couple of mm out. Crazy how that could make such an awful clunking sound.

Thanks for the help guys.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  clunking and rumbling? JTaylor2005 5 1,125 22-09-2015, 05:38 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  Clunking from nearside wheel HDIkyle 10 2,237 17-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Last Post: HDIkyle