Newer Diesels...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newer Diesels...
(16-07-2014, 05:02 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: I wouldn't buy a 306 if I wanted cheap tax and comfort!

Surely saving a grand on buying the thing and 60+ pence a litre on fuel outweighs the £100-150 saving on car tax a year!!??

Ph1 XTDT was proper comfy....and the Citroen ZX Aura TD I had was SO comfy, you could fall asleep it in after having a red bull!!

Never say never Tom....I understand if you're dead against one mind. Have you considered a early 1.9tdi Skoda of some sort? Sure there were a few in the right time frame that had lower tax but without the DPF/MF gremlins...plus no VW/Audi tax
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sorry to Hijack, but I went to look at a newer diesel!

Mondeo 2.2 TDCi, worried about the DMF, when I pushed the clutch in, it made a slight rattle/grinding noise. Hard to describe

My C5 does not make a similar sound when pushing the clutch in. Is the DMF on the Mondeo on its way out?
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2014, 05:16 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Sorry to Hijack, but I went to look at a newer diesel!

Mondeo 2.2 TDCi, worried about the DMF, when I pushed the clutch in, it made a slight rattle/grinding noise. Hard to describe

My C5 does not make a similar sound when pushing the clutch in. Is the DMF on the Mondeo on its way out?

Yup.
Thanks given by:
dont buy anything with a DMF...
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2014, 05:49 PM)SRowell Wrote: dont buy anything with a DMF...

unless you get it cheap and wack a solid mass one in its place.

Or find one thats had that done already
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

That rules out 90% of modern diesels.

I guess it's unsurprising from a forum aimed at a car that ceased manufacture 12 years ago, but a modern car with a DMF doesn't instantly mean disaster, just need to check it's history & be prepared at some stage before 150k it will more than likely need one! There's people on Vec-C that have 300k Z19DTH's that are still on the original.
Thanks given by:
Lol, you're hard pushed to avoid DMF's these days.... That said, most cars I'm looking at have already had them replaced, they seem to fail around 75-100k on newer engines! Despite the PD Golf's lasted over 135k. Confused In fact I'm sure the DMF on the blue Golf would've lasted longer if I wasn't trying to leave a diablo 1.8 behind. lol

(16-07-2014, 05:53 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:

I guess it's unsurprising from a forum aimed at a car that ceased manufacture 12 years ago, but a modern car with a DMF doesn't instantly mean disaster, just need to check it's history & be prepared at some stage before 150k it will more than likely need one! There's people on Vec-C that have 300k Z19DTH's that are still on the original.

Hmm, that's gotta be motorway miles on cruise control lol. My Vec had one at 75k!
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2014, 05:53 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:

this. DMFs are relatively new technology so will be more expensive. Go 30 years down the line and replacing a DMF with a clutch will just be standard practice and not even blinked at. Its only because people finance them selves up on a new car then when the DMF goes, they realise they can't afford to run said car.
Not only that but you hear all these horror stories.....on internet forums.....where people go for advice when their cars go wrong. People don't sign up to forums just to say "just so you know, my car has done 120k in the past 5 years and the DMF is still great!"
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
hmmm im just stupidly cheap so its just less expense and easier to fix myself if its not a DMF.
Thanks given by:
Why is it easier to fix yourself if its not a DMF? It's no different to the clutch and flywheel we done a few weeks ago! And clutches don't last forever anyway...

More expensive maybe....well, I'm not so sure more expensive than your shiny flywheel. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Back to the drawing board! Its gone above what im happy paying for it! will look for one with evidence of it being done!

Edit. DMF is £306 Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I'm one of those...

My V50 has done 110k of town driving, through Cornwall, heavy loads in it, big hill starts blah and 20k or so of me driving.

No rattles, no noises, no clutch slip... You only ever hear the bad things...

DMFs generally last the life of the clutch, much like a water pump, tensioner or a cambelt - you replace one with the other and they're fine.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I just can't enjoy driving all these modern cars knowing about the possibility of massive expensive failure. The worst thing that can really go on the 190E is the head gasket, which is an easy DIY job and costs about £40 in parts, don't even have a cam belt to change. Yes, it's bad on fuel and slow, but I love the simplicity of it.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
That's one that gets me... Bleeding cam chains.

Oh well you never need to replace the cambelt... Well yes that's true, but what happens when the plastic chain tensioners fail or the chain stretches.... Well it's a 5x more expensive job than simply a cambelt...

There's a damned good reason every car today doesn't run with a cam chain. Even the big and mighty BMW seemingly cannot get it right! The psa 16v diesels have a chain relay drive and that sometimes fails at high mileage...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Lol, I was hoping for something with a cam chain! lol

The one on my sisters corsa was changed at 90k though....and still makes a hell of a noise on start-up! Kinda put me off them lol.
Thanks given by:
Mine's silent and tight (giggidy) after 130k miles Smile
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2014, 11:18 PM)Ruan Wrote: I'm one of those...

My V50 has done 110k of town driving, through Cornwall, heavy loads in it, big hill starts blah and 20k or so of me driving.

No rattles, no noises, no clutch slip... You only ever hear the bad things...

DMFs generally last the life of the clutch, much like a water pump, tensioner or a cambelt - you replace one with the other and they're fine.

you drive it loke a woman... best modification to it would be the beaded seat and a set of tweed and leather driving gloves =D
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
[Image: peugeot_406estate2000_42307-1920x1200.jpg]

???

Big
Comfortable as f*ck
Go on for miles and miles and miles (consider how many are still in service as taxis)
Big
Reasonably reliable
Easy to work on
It's even China Blue (ish)
Cheap
Big

It's also very big.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
And being a HDi you should know the engine side of things inside out.. not a bad suggestion! But yeah so so comfy
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
[Image: 1147145892.jpg]

This is like Toms306! And the forum is the shopkeeper.

"MARGARET?!"
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
just wait till koeniiigggsseeeaag have finished redesiging the petrol engine as we know it....

no cam chain, no belt, no gears...no cam at all!!! I hope they do finish(!!) it...

they have run it in a saab for well over a year no with no real issues.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2014, 10:51 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: [Image: peugeot_406estate2000_42307-1920x1200.jpg]

???

Big
Comfortable as f*ck
Go on for miles and miles and miles (consider how many are still in service as taxis)
Big
Reasonably reliable
Easy to work on
It's even China Blue (ish)
Cheap
Big

It's also very big.
Can't believe I'm gonna say this but that's a great idea.
(17-07-2014, 12:25 PM)Piggy Wrote: just wait till koeniiigggsseeeaag have finished redesiging the petrol engine as we know it....

no cam chain, no belt, no gears...no cam at all!!! I hope they do finish(!!) it...

they have run it in a saab for well over a year no with no real issues.
Tell me more!
Thanks given by:
here you go liam

[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Get a moped.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
+1 for the 406!

We used to have a mint 2.2hdi executive estate in the family. Amazingly comfortable ride and somehow managed to handle great. Quite peppy too with the 136odd bhp.
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
The in-laws have a 406 estate out in France and I can confirm it is very comfy. Only downside with theirs is that it is a petrol automatic and exceedingly gutless but I'd love to have a diesel one.
Thanks given by:
Update! Now I read the noise is supposed when the clutch is up, not depressed!

I hate new cars!
Thanks given by:
406 is far too big to be economical enough unfortunately, Id have a 406 exec estate over a 306 meridian estate but it's not really what I'm after now. I never even use the boot these days so space isn't needed now and just creates extra weight tbh which then adds to the emmisions and pushes the tax up as well.

As for the DMF, they make different noises at different times lol. Some rattle with the clutch down, some knock with the clutch up (more under load). They shouldn't make any noises tbh...but even when they do it doesn't mean instant failure...
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2014, 12:39 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: here you go liam

That is awesome!

Gonna be several years before its in 'normal' cheap cars though. Sad
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2014, 03:46 PM)Toms306 Wrote: 406 is far too big to be economical enough unfortunately, Id have a 406 exec estate over a 306 meridian estate but it's not really what I'm after now. I never even use the boot these days so space isn't needed now and just creates extra weight tbh which then adds to the emmisions and pushes the tax up as well.

As for the DMF, they make different noises at different times lol. Some rattle with the clutch down, some knock with the clutch up (more under load). They shouldn't make any noises tbh...but even when they do it doesn't mean instant failure...

Bollocks.

The 2.0 HDi 110 gets a very reasonable 50+ mpg all day long. Imagine if it was remapped for economy? Just ask one of the mappers on here?

They're the ideal car the more I think about it.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should we be concerned about our diesels bashbarnard 65 14,782 15-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Last Post: r3k1355
  Diesels in london lolsteve 57 18,520 10-05-2017, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  ByeBye Diesels lolsteve 109 27,557 14-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Piggy