URGENT... problem with getting cambelt on!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URGENT... problem with getting cambelt on!
hi,

I am really struggling to get the cambelt back onto my 309 (xud7te)

the belt was tight to get off in the first place and now when i have gone to put the other belt on i just cannot get it on.

the tensioner is as far as i can physically take it and from looking at the slot on the adjuster it doesnt look like it can go any further.

any help pleaseeeee
Thanks given by:
If its the same belt the your.just going to have tokeep trying some can be buggers. If its a diffrent belt its best just to count the teeth just in case
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Have you tried just putting it juat onto the pulleys and pushing it in then?
Thanks given by:
Okay I'll give it another go but I seriously doubt it's gonna go on , I would of thought it would need like another 5 teeth or something to go on properly... And I have tried missing the tensioner altogether and it was still tight at that. Like I say , I thought it was a bit strange how it was so tight to come off , it just didn't seem right at all
Thanks given by:
count the teeth on the replacement and on the one you removed its not unknown for the wrong belt to be supplied
Thanks given by:
OK take a minute and pause....Something is deffo wrong, as the belt should just slip on easy..

Firstly as cully said, confirm you have the correct belt...

Provided you do, are you sure you have the tensioner in the fully released position? (all the slot out the BACK of the motor?)
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I am fitting an 11mm , I have checked the teeth on both the new belt and the old belt and they are both 136 teeth. The pulleys are identical between the Lucas and the Bosch. The tensioner is as far back as I can physically push it so the slot is fully taken up. I am just at a complete loss with this , never had this problem with the 1.9:-(
Thanks given by:
Get some pics up of it pulled tight so we can see what we're looking at, you definitely routed it the correct way?

Thanks given by:
I'll get some now mate and yeah definitely mate
Thanks given by:
Confirm the belt is "tight" between the crank and the pump, you shouldnt be able to flap it about at all..same between pump and cam..you must have slack somewhere...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
[attachment=17744] this is how much it is out by with no slack on any of the pulleys...

The picture is upside down baring in mind lol
Thanks given by:
Thats a strange way to go about fiting it, i would take it off from behind the tensioner / cam shaft, put it around that crank pulley, then pull it tight up and under the pump (shouldnt be any flap in the belt, then pull it tight up and around the camshaft, finally seating it behind the tensioner...should just slip behind the tensioner....

Take a photo of the position the tensioner is in... Im pretty sure you have slack somewhere...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Well I wouldn't have done it like that but it was like that in just about any place... Whether it was finishing on the pump pulley , water pump etc it would always end up with that much room that I need to take up. Panic over now though , the best is on...:-)

**belt
Thanks given by:
Take a photo of the tensioner, as a "test" remove all the locking pins and see if you can get it on then, I bet your struggling with pulling it tight over the locked pulleys so loose alot of slack like that when the belts sitting a tooth out. Obviously don't motor it like this! Will answer the question of if the belts long enough they do stretch with age so expect the new one to be a few mm shorter but nothing big that it wouldn't allow you to replace with a new one something's not right.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2014, 08:08 PM)LewisG306 Wrote: Well I wouldn't have done it like that but it was like that in just about any place... Whether it was finishing on the pump pulley , water pump etc it would always end up with that much room that I need to take up. Panic over now though , the best is on...:-)

**belt

What was the issue in the end?

Thanks given by:
The tensioner wasn't going to maximum travel Undecided
Thanks given by: