Brakes are a bit rubbish.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brakes are a bit rubbish.
Just noticed early whilst i was driving a bit quickly, my brakes are a bit crap for wht they should be. Feels as if the pads arent really gripping the disc? The pedal goes hard, i feel like im pushing really hard and its as if the discs are just gliding between the pads, abs still works, dodgy pads maybe? They are Ferodo DS2500 so i was expecting to be impressed Dodgy
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Can't speak for them on a CTR, but Ferodo DS2500's I've had have always been fantastic.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 01:03 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: Can't speak for them on a CTR, but Ferodo DS2500's I've had have always been fantastic.

This is what i thought, i havent took the brakes apart to confirm they are in there but they guy didnt strike me as the type to just bullshit me lol. Everyone seems to rate them well so im not sure why im having a problem Sad
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Maybe when the previous owner fitted them he didn't bed then in properly and they've glazed?

Or maybe the pistons are seized and not allowing full travel to the disc?

Also Is the pedal spongy at all? Maybe need bleeding?
Thanks given by:
If the pedal firms up, doesnt sound like air.

Does it brake straight? No pulling?

Does sound like glazing or just need roughing up, greasing in right places and rebedding in
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I dont think its air, pedal does go solid. Brakes straight all fine.

Edit, just popped outside and had a look, discs are new, and pads are meaty. More evidence supporting the glaze theory i suppose :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Anyone have more to add? Method for de glazing maybe?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Take the pads out and rough them up with some sand paper, or ask on the civic forum Tongue
Thanks given by:
Civic forum is shite. But yeah thats what i thought. Wheres Ripp these days? He seems to be a genius and this kind of thing! I've read about rubbing them on a concrete floor, and doing figures of eight on sandpaper Undecided
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Use some 80/100grit or similar paper and a good flat file.

Remove pads and wrap paper round file and with pads held in a vice nice n flat, rub across friction surface till glaze/gloss is gone and nice matt finish is returned. Shouldnt take much

Regrease all sliders, pad ears etc and bed in gently!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Done this today, pads out cleaned up, all sliders cleaned and greased, everything is as it should be now. The grooves in the pad surface were completely full of brake dust which was weird Undecided Ferodo say 25-30 4 second burst of 50% braking effort to bed the brakes in, i suppose its to get them red hot, they claim they're ready to race after this... So i done that, wheels were to hot to touch, pads were smoking, drove all the way home without touching the brakes, and left to cool. Going to have my tea then go out and see if they still work... Heres a pic of a pre and post sanded pad...

[Image: 65CB17A1-E101-487F-9ED3-5F27804C6A5A_zpsshm4jp7q.jpg]
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
There is some signs of glazing on that 'pre' pad
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ok brakes are heaps better, definately feel like they're working now!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
This problem seems to have returned. I also removed the rear pads yesturday and roughed them up/cleaned and greased everything, got the handbrake actually working, the advice on the type r forum for adjusting handbrake is wind in the nut on the handbrake lever until it holds... Retards.

But yeah i can only assume its the fronts causing problems, surely DS2500 dont need to be ragged on to keep them working well? I noticed the other day i do drive like miss daisy most of the time but surely fast road, means they still work under road conditions? Also half tempted to do a brake fluid flush but not sure i want to keep spending money lol! Advice please xxx
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
why not try a set of bog standard pads in ? you drive like I do, so no need for uprated pads.
Thanks given by:
Do they work better when up to temperature? As in, do they get better after each instance of harsh braking?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2014, 01:16 PM)Tom Wrote: Wheres Ripp these days?

Got a shitload of family health problems on at the minute, 's why I haven't been around much, can't remember the last time I actually made any shiny bits...Undecided

Anyway, yes, they can glaze over a little if they see a lot of light use, usually a spanking/rebedding session sorts it because it re-establishes the transfer film on the disc for the pad to bond to, but it shouldn't be to the point where the brakes are that bad, they usually just loose a little bit of initial bite and have the odd squeal when they need doing.
Outright power loss or lack of bite might be down to sticky sliders or similar with the pads knocking back slightly, give them a good clean and re-grease, same for the contact areas on the pads.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Hope you and your family are ok Ripp, thanks for the advice

I will try getting them hot again then!

All the sliders are free on all the callipers and all 4 corners have been dismantled, cleaned and regreased in the last 2weeks with no obvious faults.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
give them more abuse :p

ds2500 are fast road/trackday pads afterall Tongue
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
From what I was taught at college, when pads aren't bedded in properly and used too hard initially, they glaze, which is caused by the hot temperatures between the pads and disk pulling the resin from the pads towards the surface. They need a gradual introduction to heat to prevent this.
Yours clearly have suffered this, and my guess is the the damage is too far gone so it's just reoccurring all the time.

I'd say get new pads.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
(26-07-2014, 08:06 PM)strictly_perv Wrote: From what I was taught at college, when pads aren't bedded in properly and used too hard initially, they glaze, which is caused by the hot temperatures between the pads and disk pulling the resin from the pads towards the surface. They need a gradual introduction to heat to prevent this.
Yours clearly have suffered this, and my guess is the the damage is too far gone so it's just reoccurring all the time.

I'd say get new pads.

This is what i always thought, but the bedding in procedure comes from Ferodo themselves about roasting them on the first go Undecided
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Were they fitted with new discs or old discs?
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
I didnt fit them so im not sure, but i would go with new, the discs have no lip atall on either side and just look new. That being said i cant be sure. Got them hot earlier aswell and then parked up on the drive, in gear (handbrake off), so maybe later they will be better?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Take the pads out, get a bit of sand paper to take the shine off the disc and rough the pad surface up a bit, and DS2500's squeal no matter what you do, it's just the type of pads Smile
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
(27-07-2014, 01:33 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: Take the pads out, get a bit of sand paper to take the shine off the disc and rough the pad surface up a bit, and DS2500's squeal no matter what you do, it's just the type of pads Smile

Done all that... read the thread dude TMI
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by: