Hdi or XUD... Pros and cons info needed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hdi or XUD... Pros and cons info needed.
my HDI is consistantly bad i have always said it since ive owned it

https://www.fuelly.com/car/peugeot/306/2002/cully/61612
Thanks given by:
Average mpg of 35!? There's gotta be something wrong surely. Confused As said after all the HDi's I've owned I've never seen mpg that bad, I'd be devastated if it ever got as low as 45 lol.
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 04:56 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Average mpg of 35!? There's gotta be something wrong surely. Confused As said after all the HDi's I've owned I've never seen mpg that bad, I'd be devastated if it ever got as low as 45 lol.

No small diesel hatchback hould get this. There is something wrong somewhere
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Cullys is an estate tbf.... I can only assume he carries a boot full of Gold or something...
Thanks given by:
Me and zakk averaged 68mpg going too high wycombe in his stage 1 estate! Thats two passengers, 1 s16 engine & box, 4 wheels and a front bumper etc with full interior!!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 05:18 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Cullys is an estate tbf.... I can only assume he carries a boot full of Gold or something...

car is always empty other than a fat arse driver with lead boots apparently
Thanks given by:
Yeah and my 2.1TD estate. MPG for the last 12 months so averages between 2.1 and HDi.
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/583387.html

[Image: 583387_45.png]

Not beaten 45mpg since the 2.1 was fitted and not been out the 30s since march but I am heavy footed.
Thanks given by:
I used to have an estate that was the ropeiest thing ever. I bought it for £500 when they were still going for £2000 odd. Was waorse than the dog rough state on here. Still got 45 mpg and hadnt been serviced in about 5 years. The oil was like tar!
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
^^My oile is pretty much pure cooking oil. The oil level on the engine is going up every time I check it LOL
Thanks given by:
I'm looking forward to having great MPG when I buy Toms306 HDi Big Grin I think it does around 55mpg if I remember correctly
Thanks given by:
53mpg last time I checked...but that was mostly round town or blasting up the A14 at '70'....if you can drive carefully it might get better lol. Equally if you drive 2 miles a day round town it'd probably be worse lol.
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 05:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote: 53mpg last time I checked...but that was mostly round town or blasting up the A14 at '70'....if you can drive carefully it might get better lol. Equally if you drive 2 miles a day round town it'd probably be worse lol.

I'll take longer routes to get the mpg up lol
Thanks given by:
I averaged 38MPG on a trip once... lol

I'd buy a phase 3 HDi for refinement, and aircon, and maybe a heat reflective windshield so it isn't 10 million degrees in the car when you come out of work, and sound deaden it for further motorway cruising. Then I'd put some decent-ish audio in and enjoy my comfy, quiet cruising with good MPG.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Air con doesn't usually work in ph3s either Retro....think less than 20% of mine have had working AC over the last 5 years lol. Also the heat reflective windscreen doesn't do much, it's still roasting in the car when the suns on it, tints around the rear make much more difference (obviously park with the sun to the rear) but do make you look like a drug dealer.
Thanks given by:
God i wish i could get over 40 out of mine unless i drive like an old woman!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Whatever you choose I have enough parts for either engine to keep it going whatever happens haha

Personally I'd get an hdi, stage 1 map and keep on top of the servicing like mine and never let's you down.

The problem with an xud is that they're so easy to tune that you can't help but fiddle with it which will more than likely end up with a rod through the block lol

Boring is good, nice long 60 mile run every day should return epic mpgzzz, not inclined to hoon everywhere, save that for the weekend in the rallye Big Grin
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2014, 05:35 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Air con doesn't usually work in ph3s either Retro....think less than 20% of mine have had working AC over the last 5 years lol. Also the heat reflective windscreen doesn't do much, it's still roasting in the car when the suns on it, tints around the rear make much more difference (obviously park with the sun to the rear) but do make you look like a drug dealer.

If I was buying a car and preparing it to be a good commuter and the aircon didn't work I'd fix it. Usually it doesn't work because pipes or the condenser rad are holey somewhere.

Not had a ph.3 just like the idea of not getting really hot haha.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
The problem with HDis is they require effort to diagnose, and you can tell from looking around a few of the "won't start" threads that most of the OPs aren't capable of this. An xud however will apparently run whether you get the fix right or not, so anyway it's fixed, right? It's the same with XUDs and mechanical sympathy, they'd probably be fine for the most part if the engines didn't get abused so badly, but no they throw rods and eat headgaskets for fun... Wink

You're handy with the spanners and have a brain, on that basis i reckon the HDi would be the better option for you, especially doing mileage like that.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  steel wheel info needed.. Ben 8 1,557 23-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  general info on big end bearings needed Ricky 25 4,507 13-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Ricky