Car Seat Desk Chair - How To?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Seat Desk Chair - How To?
So,

I know a few of you have these now!

Just wondering whats the easiest/cheapest way to make one? And how do you stop it tipping over?

I have a knackered desk chair (not surprising with the use it gets!) and a mint Meridian passenger seat that I can't really be bothered to dump so thought I could make use of the two.

I cant weld though and most seem to have welded frames when searching online...

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Badically join base of office chair to base of car chair lol, mount it sort of between half way and 3/4 to the back of the chair so most of weight is forwards then
Thanks given by:
'Joining' the two is the part I'm struggling with, there are no pre-drilled holes in the office chair base to take car seat runners! lol
Thanks given by:
Drill some new ones? Lol cable ties?
Thanks given by:
Lol.

Ok, so the problem I have is the seat base is only about 30x20cm, and the seat runners are obviously much wider and longer than that. Obviously there needs to be some of adapter between but I don't know what.
Thanks given by:
Im assuming the base of the seat stand is like an X? If so, run a bar of metal parallel to each other over the X, bolt them down then just bolt the car seat runners to the bars you have just made. Half hours work with a bit of drilling and cutting.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
A good thing to do, if you have passenger side fronts, would be to swap the covers to a drivers side one

The drivers side is always the one where the seams go.
Thanks given by:
(21-06-2014, 10:13 AM)Niall Wrote: Im assuming the base of the seat stand is like an X? If so, run a bar of metal parallel to each other over the X, bolt them down then just bolt the car seat runners to the bars you have just made. Half hours work with a bit of drilling and cutting.

Nope, it's like a rectangle with bolt boles on each corner. Confused Edit - My bad, is is kind of X shaped. What sort of metal would be required for that? I don't have any scrap laying around.

(21-06-2014, 10:26 AM)cpikey316_ Wrote: A good thing to do, if you have passenger side fronts, would be to swap the covers to a drivers side one

Yeah the drivers seat was knackered so I just left it in the car to get scrapped, couldn't let a mint passenger seat go though lol.
Thanks given by:
Unistrut is cheap and works well. Around £5 for 3 at CEF. You can use this to extend the base to the correct length. Nuts and bolts and your away.
Thanks given by:
I can probably get some metal if you want? Got a machineing place behind ours
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
You need a decent office chair to begin with and then some welding skills to do it properly.
Thanks given by:
(23-06-2014, 04:17 PM)SRowell Wrote: You need a decent office chair to begin with and then some welding skills to do it properly.

Yeah I'm just gonna keep an eye on ebay for a decent used one I think, too much hassle to make one it seems.

All the foam has flattened in my current one lol, got bolts coming through the leather into my arse! Dodgy
Thanks given by:
(21-06-2014, 10:26 AM)cpikey316_ Wrote: A good thing to do, if you have passenger side fronts, would be to swap the covers to a drivers side one

Except the holes would be in te wrong place for the lumbar adjusters and tilt lever etc. it wouldn't work.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I just welded two steel plates across the runners on mine, but cant see why you couldnt bolt it...

Good part is the runners still work, so you can slide it fowards / back to get the weight balance right, or to get it wrong so when Ruan sits on it it falls over epically.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(24-06-2014, 08:50 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: or to get it wrong so when Ruan sits on it it falls over epically.

lol

If you can't weld tom no more nails and got loads of gaffa tape?
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
They probably could...

The car seats have been dumped now anyway lol, gave up on the idea.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chair for fat person.... cpikey316_ 7 1,447 08-05-2014, 05:32 AM
Last Post: Piggy
  Freaking out the Parts Desk at Peugeot... C.A.R. 22 3,259 16-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Last Post: mcglynn
  Sparco Raceseat office chair "Sorry!" cully 21 5,354 05-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Last Post: cully