Buying a car with no tax

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a car with no tax
Going to look at a car tomorrow, it has 12 months mot but no tax, i will be insuring the car with temp cover but i cannot tax it with temporary insurance, i have done this before, been stopped and explained the situation and been let on my way if it is taxed ASAP. what is the fine or whatever for this and is there anything i can do?
Thanks given by:
Get it insured properly or have it recovered home
Get the seller to tax it if they can or you no anyone with trade insurance?
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I've taxed cars with temp cover before? Easiest way for you is to ask the seller if they would do it if you cover the cost, either that or use trade plates if you have access to them
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
The seller has probably stopped their insurance hence it being untaxed...

But as above, I've taxed on temp insurance before.
Thanks given by:
Trade plates ftw.. but be careful because some insurance doesn't cover them
Thanks given by:
Can I buy Road Tax with my Tempcover insurance policy? (-)

The DVLA and most UK Post Offices will accept insurance certificates which have been downloaded from the internet for road fund licence purposes. Please be aware that not all of our insurers offer cover for this purpose but this information is displayed when selecting an insurer.

Dose that mean the postoffice will take a copy displayed on my phone or will it need printing out? or could i tax it online with the new keeper supplement?
Thanks given by:
If you tax it online it needs to be in your name the logbook I've always shown a email on my phone

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2014, 08:42 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: If you tax it online it needs to be in your name the logbook I've always shown a email on my phone

insurance email on the phone works?
Thanks given by:
Rather than having it printed off yea just make sure if it's a old dear to zoom in a little lol

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Im will to pay the money for tax, why do they make it so difficult?
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2014, 08:47 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: Im will to pay the money for tax, why do they make it so difficult?

They make it difficult to stop people taxing cars (and therefore not getting caught by the rozzers) which aren't legal. I can't see a problem with that.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I 100% agree, thats why im trying so hard to tax it, if it was insurance or Mot id understand but there should be some leniency with tax and buying a car
Thanks given by:
Ok, I've seen my fair share of this kind of thing. I'm NOT making a recommendation but I will list your options:

1). I'm pretty sure you CAN tax a car with temporary insurance, as long as you had a cover note that says the vehicle IS insured on the day you rock up to the Post Office you should be able to tax.

2). Get the seller to tax. Now if he/she HAS cancelled their insurance, as long as they still have their cover note , even if the policy is no longer running, old Moreen isn't going to know when you try and tax the vehicle.

3). Book an MOT at a garage near your home, it IS totally legal to drive an Un-MOT and/or un-taxed car to a prebooked MOT. Even if the car has 12 months MOT it doesn't matter. Get the garage you book the MOT with to write you something out on official paper that says you have an MOT booked and produce this if you get pulled over. Keep this as documented evidence incase it's an ANPR camera that gets you to produce as proof later.

4). Depending on the distance from your home and the type of roads between pick up and your home, you could risk driving without any of the above sticking to back roads and hope that if you do get pulled you get an understanding copper (if there is such a thing). This method becomes feasible especially if you're picking it up when all the 9-5 coppers have gone home.

5). Get it trailered home. Two ways to do this, hire something and drive it yourself, or hire someone to do it. Another method (and free potentially), if your an AA member take a dead battery with you, swap it over into your new car, then call the AA saying the car won't run and they'll tow you home after sweet talking him into not jumping you.

Again, NOT recommending anything but these are ways to get your vehicle home.
Thanks given by:
Wait till October then it will be easy :p
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I like option 3, i can do that but im also going to try the email display on the phone and il see if the seller still has his old insurance for use with Moreen in the post-office, im sure the seller will post the disk to me when it arrives to him. If all else fails and i take option 4 what is the fine/penalty?
Thanks given by:
October it'll be harder!! All cars will have no tax then. Confused

You cant tax online until your name is on the logbook. Im sure the PO would accept your phone copy, but printed off would be better.

Tbh if you can't tax it might as well just risk it and carry the cash with you. If the copper asks tell him you have it and are willing to pay but just unable...
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2014, 09:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote: October it'll be harder!! All cars will have no tax then. Confused

You cant tax online until your name is on the logbook. Im sure the PO would accept your phone copy, but printed off would be better.

Tbh if you can't tax it might as well just risk it and carry the cash with you. If the copper asks tell him you have it and are willing to pay but just unable...

Ignorance is not an excuse to the law. Just tell him your on your way to get it taxed whistle
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
As for the penalty, its no points, just an £80 fine iirc....
Thanks given by:
Iv alwase been genuine with them and never had a problem can see why this would not be the same
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2014, 09:15 PM)Niall Wrote:
(20-06-2014, 09:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote: October it'll be harder!! All cars will have no tax then. Confused

Ignorance is not an excuse to the law. Just tell him your on your way to get it taxed whistle

Its not ignorance, its their daft systems causing people issues trying to pay them lots of money... Confused
Thanks given by: