PC boffins; no audio

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC boffins; no audio
So I built a PC about 5 years ago or so.

It's pretty standard, nothing fancy, but at the time had a half decent spec

Anyway, for the life of me I can't get any audio.

It's telling me no audio devices installed, fine, reinstall drivers (Realtek) having none of it.

Then think, screw this, I'll buy a sound card. So I do, and yet still no audio

In cntrl panel>device manager it keeps a yellow warning triangle next to both the onbiard audio device and the sound card.

Refusing the lot. Has anyone any ideas???
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Scrap it, buy a mac. Done!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2014, 06:37 PM)Niall Wrote: Scrap it, get a mortgage and buy a mac. Done!

Efa.

What windows are you running?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yellow triangle is a driver issue surely? Have you downloaded from the manufacturers website or from windows update?
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2014, 06:48 PM)SRowell Wrote: Yellow triangle is a driver issue surely? Have you downloaded from the manufacturers website or from windows update?

Yep; I've uninstalled and installed the onboard audio numerous times with manufacture drivers and Realtek etc.

And also used the driver provided with sound card; still nothingn
Thanks given by:
hi I build and repair laptops and pc's in the bios is the hardware turned on make sure you turn on the sound in there other wise it wont work.
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2014, 09:22 PM)thehytheman Wrote: hi I build and repair laptops and pc's in the bios is the hardware turned on make sure you turn on the sound in there other wise it wont work.

Would that not be an auto function upon startup?

I'll have a check in the bios tomorrow , and get back to you, cheers'
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2014, 09:34 PM)ginge191 Wrote:
(12-06-2014, 09:22 PM)thehytheman Wrote: hi I build and repair laptops and pc's in the bios is the hardware turned on make sure you turn on the sound in there other wise it wont work.

normally if you get anymore issues on it let me know the board type you got I look it up. I take it you using windows 7 on it. if it vista it has a few problems with sound cards
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2014, 09:53 PM)thehytheman Wrote:
(12-06-2014, 09:34 PM)ginge191 Wrote:

normally if you get anymore issues on it let me know the board type you got I look it up. I take it you using windows 7 on it. if it vista it has a few problems with sound cards

Vista... Doh
Thanks given by:
So went into bios>integrated peripherals - and I have "azalia ac97" which is the onboard audio. Is set to auto with the option to disable only. Attempt to disable that and relying on the new sound card installation..?
Thanks given by:
Backup -> format -> windows 7 -> enjoy.

/thread Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
/sigh

Tried restoring to it's latest date, still useless
Thanks given by:
Good shout on the bios setting, glad thats been checked.

In terms of sound, i assume it used to work? I dont suppose soundman has been updated at any point (this the realteak driver device/sound panel) this can get all sorts of pissy and not select the output source correctly.

What does your windows sound manager say ? Control Panel > Sound. Do you see any of your hardware devices there?

What is the error in device manager? Its probably device could not start or something, but would be good to see whats its saying.
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
I would say conflict within your current OS install. Doesn't sound like it's very happy with any sound related devices as it's refusing a new audio interface. As preciously stated. Backup FORMAT and install a fresh copy of your chosen OS. Restoring from a backup will commonly leave you with the problem still present or for it to reoccur. As Niall has said id buy a mac or at least change the os to any other than windows (ie make an osx86 hackintosh) but that's not always okay for some but meh my suggestion is a fresh os install and to backup required files manually before hand.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
(13-06-2014, 01:53 PM)Fooby Wrote: Good shout on the bios setting, glad thats been checked.

In terms of sound, i assume it used to work? I dont suppose soundman has been updated at any point (this the realteak driver device/sound panel) this can get all sorts of pissy and not select the output source correctly.

What does your windows sound manager say ? Control Panel > Sound. Do you see any of your hardware devices there?

What is the error in device manager? Its probably device could not start or something, but would be good to see whats its saying.

Device manager identifies both devices ; onboard and PCI, yet rejects any driver for them.

It also attempts to install hardware for both audio devices on every startup, just fails.

In terms of it working; it worked when it (the HDD) was in it's original tower (a Currys special bin) which was my sisters. I've since used her HDD as mine got damaged and wouldn't boot. So merely using it as an OS for it all. There're no programmes on it.

(13-06-2014, 02:51 PM)Razorback_Rob Wrote: I would say conflict within your current OS install. Doesn't sound like it's very happy with any sound related devices as it's refusing a new audio interface. As preciously stated. Backup FORMAT and install a fresh copy of your chosen OS. Restoring from a backup will commonly leave you with the problem still present or for it to reoccur. As Niall has said id buy a mac or at least change the os to any other than windows (ie make an osx86 hackintosh) but that's not always okay for some but meh my suggestion is a fresh os install and to backup required files manually before hand.

Is there any easy way (simple way) to reinstall an OS, I have issues with windows. But have no disk/codes to hand. I have a "generator" but don't want to have to rely on that.
Thanks given by:
You ideally need a windows disc and code available as you'll be formatting the drive/partition that currently holds your copy of windows and the data needs to be held elsewhere. Best idea for that route is get hold of one. Wether it be buying a new copy. Borrowing a friends etc.

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
Hmmm,
I shall see what I can get my hands on
Thanks given by:
what operating system is it running now?
Thanks given by:
Still on vista..
Thanks given by:
Ginge,

If you lift and shift hard disks from one machine to another you are going to have horrible problems. I'm surprised it didnt just bluescreen on bootup. Especially considering its Vista.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
I've done it numerous times with my setup, in fact, I've got about 4/5 which get changed about?

Why do they fit?
Thanks given by:
vista a horrid programe, worst thing they ever pushed out. get hold 7 that sort it out.
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2014, 04:59 PM)thehytheman Wrote: vista a horrid programe, worst thing they ever pushed out. get hold 7 that sort it out.

I don't know. Do you remember that failure called Windows ME? lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
you can down load a windows 7 iso image from here then you just need a working key
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...8486a46ebf
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2014, 05:04 PM)Niall Wrote:
(13-06-2014, 04:59 PM)thehytheman Wrote: vista a horrid programe, worst thing they ever pushed out. get hold 7 that sort it out.

I don't know. Do you remember that failure called Windows ME? lol
HA, i was just thinking this. Windows ME was the WORST.

Die in a huge fire.

Vista hates ANY hardware change. Lifting and shifting HDD's you've totally lucked in, with the audio driver you are very lucky.

Just format and re-install vista, win 7 ideally. Otherwise you will always have issues

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Oh god. swapping around hdds from different systems. Unfortunately a lot of systems install oem versions of windows and miss out a lot of hardware drivers to save on disc space (pointless I know) but shifting hard drives around is just trouble full stop. As said preciously. Download Vincent1's link to windows 7 install fresh copy and buy or "get hold of" a licence key for the edition you install. Problems should go on a fresh install

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
[Image: dr4.jpg]

This is like the standard swapping hard drive thing I see... No drivers, everything broken..

I've seen Vista moan before now that it has no drivers for the CPU... How do you even manage that!!!

Reinstall windows...

Or *nix/nux.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the info; I'll crack on with a new install. If that fails, I might just splash out and build a new gaming station .... Shall see!
Thanks given by:
if all fails you can put a usb sound card they cost a few quid on ebay. if you cant find one pm me I send one by post to you.
Thanks given by:
(15-06-2014, 12:11 AM)Ruan Wrote: I've seen Vista moan before now that it has no drivers for the CPU... How do you even manage that!!!

lol XP does this as well. My hard drive from my old work laptop was shifted to a newer one when the screen gave up. It was still an identical laptop but for some reason it just didn't like it at all and one of the many uninstalled drivers on there was for the CPU. That swiftly went back!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phone boffins required - Android Bluetooth pairing in car. Ian 19 4,268 19-02-2012, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Connor