Rear Drum Bearing Thrust Washer Problem?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Drum Bearing Thrust Washer Problem?
Hello,

This is for the 206 but it uses exactly the same 'big' drums as the later 306s.

Basically, after having the bearings changed in the drums (thanks bashbarnard! Big Grin ) I had a bit of a problem getting the new thrust washer in. It eventually went in with a hammer lol and I thought nothing of it but one of the MOT fails was a rough bearing.....I'm wondering if the washer got distorted when I tightened the hub nut and its now rubbing the bearing making it feel rough? Haven't got time to jack it up and strip it down today, just wondered if that sounds like a reasonable diagnosis? And if so, can you buy the washers on their own apart from dealer which will take ages to order them lol? Number 8 on the pic.

[attachment=16733]

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
That little washer normally needs a tap with a rubber mallet to sit in its recess snug
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It needed more than a little tap.... Confused It was so tight I reckon it bent as it went in.
Thanks given by:
Well thats not good
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
No lol. Brute force isn't usually good, but I couldn't see it causing any issues at the time.
Thanks given by:
Its not something as simple as that washer rubbing on the backplate? Or backplate rubbing on drum?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Not sure, as said haven't had the chance to jack it up yet. But the MOT'er said it definitely felt like a bearing, he knew I'd changed them so said it seemed odd himself.

I did also change the shoes at the same time so wondered if I'd got something sitting wrong and catching the drum but apparently it sounds rough, rather than the smooth metallic scrape you get if somethings sitting on the drum.

Guess I wont know until I get it off. Just hope the bearing doesn't fall apart when I do! Hate drums lol.
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2014, 02:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote: It needed more than a little tap.... Confused It was so tight I reckon it bent as it went in.

(10-06-2014, 03:48 PM)Toms306 Wrote: No lol. Brute force isn't usually good, but I couldn't see it causing any issues at the time.

Giggety
Thanks given by:
Maybe its just the bent washer mate? Whip it off give us an update. You need anything else like that just drop us a message on here and I'll see what I can do. Happy to help
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
did you use a press to put the bearings in ? I know some people will drift them in.
Thanks given by:
I used a press have one at work
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
unless the bearing has failed as you pressed it in ??

( first line wheel bearings, made from cornflakes ?)
Thanks given by:
Lucas bearings, should be good! Waned SKF but that's the risk with ECP unfortunately.

Will hopefully get it up tomorrow (another giggity lol) and see whats up with it!
Thanks given by:
Right, been look into this tonight.

The washer is bent, but its not that making the noise! Also don't think it can have broken the bearing? It seems to just be a cover to stop grease from the bearing into the drum as it gets older?? The shoes and springs also look like they're in the right place!

[Image: IMAG3925_zps8cba559d.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3926_zps4400848d.jpg]

However the bearing definitely sounds rough. Ignore the shoes catching slightly, they've only done half a mile lol. But on the first wheel you can definitely hear a bearing rumble.

http://youtu.be/SIsAOSFnchs

Also the bearing appears to have come apart but not enough to fall out? Is that normal? I know old ones always fall apart...

http://youtu.be/OHwHqC-CDpg
Thanks given by:
the coming apart is the circlip inside the bearing holding the two halves together

does sound like knackered bearing Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Is it something I've done wrong then?

Any way to quieten it or does it just need replacing? Confused
Thanks given by:
I wouldnt have thought you had done anything wrong to be fair. In all the time ive been in the trade I think ive had one faulty bearing in 7 years. So there is a chance it could be the bearing.
Thanks given by:
If you've only had one in seven years Id have to be pretty unlucky to get one in only the 2nd pair I've ever bought lol! lol

What do I do then, just get another and change it again? Sad
Thanks given by:
Well if its rough and you can prove it. Take a video ring up ecp and say they should exchange it for you.
Thanks given by:
I can't prove its a manufacturing fault though, they'll just say I've done something wrong with it I reckon.

I'll get another tomorrow and go from there. Will just get the cheaper one this time though, cant be any worse lol. The car will be up for sale as soon as it passes MOT anyway.
Thanks given by:
Just bang a cheapy in then mate. Ill get u a price if you want trade just pm me a reg Wink
Thanks given by:
Just to update this, it was the bearing at fault. Changed it and sounds fine now. Smile
Thanks given by:
new stuff can be faulty, as suggested earlier in posts. that's why I wont touch firstline parts, I only use skf,ina, Delphi boxed stuff as doing the job twice is embarrassing and annoying. at least alls well that ends well.
Thanks given by:
True, but I specifically chose the more expensive one so was a bit annoyed that it was faulty and ended up replacing with a cheap one that's better lol. Ah well, sorted anyway as you say!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear Disk Wheel Bearing daveylennon93 21 6,926 06-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Last Post: dt_
  Rear wheel bearing HDI? MY95 9 2,421 24-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Rear drum / hub torque setting firemoth 4 986 19-09-2015, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset