Standard vs Premium Fuels

Poll: Your Preffered Petrol Fuel
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Supermarket 95 RON
25.00%
5 25.00%
Tesco Momentum 99
25.00%
5 25.00%
Shell V Power Nitro+
40.00%
8 40.00%
BP Ultimate
10.00%
2 10.00%
Texaco Supreme
0%
0 0%
Other? (Please Post)
0%
0 0%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standard vs Premium Fuels
Is it worth putting in the higher RON rated fuels than normal supermarket 95 RON stuff?
Anyone found any differences of using any premium fuel such as Tesco 99 over standard fuel in their GTI6/Rallye?
Any experiences shared would be great as I plan on putting the Rallye on the road soon

Cheers
Thanks given by:
Firstly, even when using 95, don't use supermarket fuel. 99% of the time its just utter shite.
I always found my GTi ran better on bp ultimate but not on any of the other high ron fuels. Was it worth the extra cost? Not really. I used to run a tank through every now and then. Just use 95 now as i can't use anything else lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the quick reply! Where do you get 95 RON from then if you dont like supermarket fuels?
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2014, 06:56 PM)MY95 Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply! Where do you get 95 RON from then if you dont like supermarket fuels?

Nearly all standard fuels from proper petrol stations are 95 ron
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I run an OMEX so i can only run 95 octane.

Sometimes what happens with the decent brands is fuel 'rebranding' which is when if a truck cant deliver the ordered amount of 95 a higher octane can be downgraded or 'rebranded' and put into the 95 tank.
Thanks given by:
I have never noticed the difference in ultimate in many of the big tuned petrols I have owned... but I never had them at mega tune.

My Kawasaki 600 however would barely run on 95 compared to 97...difference was mad. Would start better, idle better, pick up better, pull harder and get a good 10% more mpgs.

But ona GTi6 I cant imagine the cost outwieghing the return.

Just use good (BP/Shell) 95 and wring its neck more!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2014, 06:58 PM)Niall Wrote:
(09-06-2014, 06:56 PM)MY95 Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply! Where do you get 95 RON from then if you dont like supermarket fuels?

Nearly all standard fuels from proper petrol stations are 95 ron

Oh right thanks Niall, not up to speed with petrol fuels as ive only had/put fuel in diesel cars myself, which I dont think performance diesel is that much better than normal diesel, someone correct me if im wrong

(09-06-2014, 07:03 PM)SRowell Wrote: I run an OMEX so i can only run 95 octane.

Sometimes what happens with the decent brands is fuel 'rebranding' which is when if a truck cant deliver the ordered amount of 95 a higher octane can be downgraded or 'rebranded' and put into the 95 tank.

Thanks for the info, so you mean when the truck doesnt have enough 95 left it puts in 97 in its place for non supermarket fuel stations? That sounds good haha
Thanks given by:
Unless absolutely desperate I only use branded fuel and avoid the supermarket forecourts. The queues are bad enough, but with all the horror stories you hear...

I used to use Shell Optimax with Castrol Valvemaster Plus additive in my lightly tuned 998 Mini and it went like stink. These days both our cars get BP most of the time with Ultimate when I'm feeling flush.
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2014, 07:03 PM)Piggy Wrote: I have never noticed the difference in ultimate in many of the big tuned petrols I have owned... but I never had them at mega tune.

My Kawasaki 600 however would barely run on 95 compared to 97...difference was mad. Would start better, idle better, pick up better, pull harder and get a good 10% more mpgs.

But ona GTi6 I cant imagine the cost outwieghing the return.

Just use good (BP/Shell) 95 and wring its neck more!

Thanks for the advice Piggy, Whats the price difference between shell/bp and supermarket fuels?

(09-06-2014, 07:12 PM)DavidA Wrote: Unless absolutely desperate I only use branded fuel and avoid the supermarket forecourts. The queues are bad enough, but with all the horror stories you hear...

I used to use Shell Optimax with Castrol Valvemaster Plus additive in my lightly tuned 998 Mini and it went like stink. These days both our cars get BP most of the time with Ultimate when I'm feeling flush.

Nice one, any photos of the old mini? my dad had one from work for a weekend when he worked at peugeot when I was younger and it was great fun Smile
Thanks given by:
Well when I had the bike, Shell Vpower was same price as BP 95!! BP is a few pence dearer round here too than Shell.

But BP I can get Nectar points AND 1% cashback on me Natwest card...so it ends up being which I am closest to! lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
i use tesco 99 in my 6 it loves it works best after an ecu reset
much more go in it than Shell V Power
Thanks given by:
I got rid of my bike before my local tesco stocked the 99...really wanted to try it!!

My bet though, as you have highlighted, is that without a ecu reset or remap, 99ron would be pointless
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Around here we have Morrisons, Esso and BP and because they're so close they all charge pretty much the same 133.9-134.9 for diesel with Ultimate being about 6p more.

I also get the nectar points and cash back so use the BP.

Here's my two Minis - Chelsea (the red one) and Dot. Chelsea ended up a 1293 while Dot was a standard 1275. [attachment=16720][attachment=16721]
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2014, 07:26 PM)Piggy Wrote: Well when I had the bike, Shell Vpower was same price as BP 95!! BP is a few pence dearer round here too than Shell.

But BP I can get Nectar points AND 1% cashback on me Natwest card...so it ends up being which I am closest to! lol

Nice one, whatever works for you I guess :p

(09-06-2014, 07:42 PM)cully Wrote: i use tesco 99 in my 6 it loves it works best after an ecu reset

Nice one! How do you reset the ecu for it to run on 99? as theres a tesco 2 mins away from me which i usually go to

(09-06-2014, 07:49 PM)Piggy Wrote: I got rid of my bike before my local tesco stocked the 99...really wanted to try it!!

My bet though, as you have highlighted, is that without a ecu reset or remap, 99ron would be pointless

Id agree, do you run your 2.1td on veg by any chance?
Thanks given by:
Bp at 133?! woh!

My BP is never less than 138.9 Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2014, 07:58 PM)DavidA Wrote: Around here we have Morrisons, Esso and BP and because they're so close they all charge pretty much the same 133.9-134.9 for diesel with Ultimate being about 6p more.

I also get the nectar points and cash back so use the BP.

Here's my two Minis - Chelsea (the red one) and Dot. Chelsea ended up a 1293 while Dot was a standard 1275.

Nice one David!
Dot is really nice, thats a really nice colour and suits it! Would love an old mini but ive already got two 306's haha
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2014, 08:25 PM)Piggy Wrote: Bp at 133?! woh!

My BP is never less than 138.9 Undecided

And near work (Weymouth) there's an Esso at 132.9 but I don't get the cash back there so it's swings and roundabouts.
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2014, 08:23 PM)MY95 Wrote:
(09-06-2014, 07:42 PM)cully Wrote: i use tesco 99 in my 6 it loves it works best after an ecu reset

Nice one! How do you reset the ecu for it to run on 99? as theres a tesco 2 mins away from me which i usually go to

Just unplug the ECU for 10 minutes or so.
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2014, 09:03 PM)cully Wrote:
(09-06-2014, 08:23 PM)MY95 Wrote:

Just unplug the ECU for 10 minutes or so.

Is it that easy (dont have a clue about this stuff haha)
Thanks given by:
GTi6s are likely to notice a *bit* of difference...

They do have a knock sensor, so it SHOULD give you a bit more timing.. But I'd put money on them being calibrated for 95RON - unless it's gronky 95 then you're unlikely to notice a performance increase in honesty.

Some cars are just calibrated to run on 98 (mostly Jap, remember they can get like 103 at the pump!!) - most French stuff just isn't.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2014, 10:56 PM)Ruan Wrote: GTi6s are likely to notice a *bit* of difference...

They do have a knock sensor, so it SHOULD give you a bit more timing.. But I'd put money on them being calibrated for 95RON - unless it's gronky 95 then you're unlikely to notice a performance increase in honesty.

Some cars are just calibrated to run on 98 (mostly Jap, remember they can get like 103 at the pump!!) - most French stuff just isn't.

Thanks for the reply, I think I read somewhere they best run on 97+
What are they calibrated to run at does anyone know?
Thanks given by:
My 200SX cries on anything but 99.

Therefore I use tesco 99 in her.

It would pre-det on 95 so there is definately a difference, not sure if you'd see it in a '6 though!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2014, 07:40 AM)silverzx Wrote: My 200SX cries on anything but 99.

It would pre-det on 95 so there is definately a difference, not sure if you'd see it in a '6 though!

Ok cheers, seems to be mixed opinions looking around on the gti6.net forum
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2014, 07:44 AM)MY95 Wrote:

Tbh for the extra 4-6p or whatever it is a litre it's only an extra couple of quid (at the most) per tank.

Might as well run on 99 and see for yourself.

It certainly won't do any harm!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I only ever run my cars on texaco fuels petrol or diesel. I have noticed a difference running the gti6 on texaco 97 however, it just seems to run better and as bizzare as it sounds I'm sure I get slightly better mpg off it too

Don't really see using premium petrol as that much of an expense personally when compared to buying diesel, anything under 1.40 a litre feels like a bargain haha.

On the subject of different countries and what's available on their forecourts, ever seen how much choice French stations have?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2014, 08:02 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: On the subject of different countries and what's available on their forecourts, ever seen how much choice French stations have?

We filled up in a French supermarket last summer and they had diesel that was available with Wynn's fuel additive included and it was only 1 or 2 cents more expensive than their standard offering.
Thanks given by:
I just run it on 95RON, gti-6s have knock sensors so it doesn't matter whether you use 95-99 in terms of ability to run properly.
You will get higher mpg with higher octances, but then they cost more, and I've never actually sat down and done the maths to work out precisely which is better value for money.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2014, 08:00 AM)silverzx Wrote:
(10-06-2014, 07:44 AM)MY95 Wrote:

Tbh for the extra 4-6p or whatever it is a litre it's only an extra couple of quid (at the most) per tank.

Might as well run on 99 and see for yourself.

It certainly won't do any harm!

Thats what im going to do, going to try the 95 then try the 99 from tesco an see what difference it makes, cheers

(10-06-2014, 08:02 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: I only ever run my cars on texaco fuels petrol or diesel. I have noticed a difference running the gti6 on texaco 97 however, it just seems to run better and as bizzare as it sounds I'm sure I get slightly better mpg off it too

Don't really see using premium petrol as that much of an expense personally when compared to buying diesel, anything under 1.40 a litre feels like a bargain haha.

On the subject of different countries and what's available on their forecourts, ever seen how much choice French stations have?

Thanks for sharing your experiences, no texaco fuel stations near me unfortunately

(10-06-2014, 08:22 AM)RetroPug Wrote: I just run it on 95RON, gti-6s have knock sensors so it doesn't matter whether you use 95-99 in terms of ability to run properly.
You will get higher mpg with higher octances, but then they cost more, and I've never actually sat down and done the maths to work out precisely which is better value for money.

Thanks for the info, where do you get your standard 95 from then? Also have you tried the higher up stuff andnoticed much of a difference?
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2014, 07:04 PM)MY95 Wrote:
(09-06-2014, 07:03 PM)SRowell Wrote: I run an OMEX so i can only run 95 octane.

Thanks for the info, so you mean when the truck doesnt have enough 95 left it puts in 97 in its place for non supermarket fuel stations? That sounds good haha

Exactly that.
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2014, 08:02 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: I only ever run my cars on texaco fuels petrol or diesel. I have noticed a difference running the gti6 on texaco 97 however, it just seems to run better and as bizzare as it sounds I'm sure I get slightly better mpg off it too

I have also noticed after running my rallye on 97 (texaco) for the first time at FCS it starts better, idles sweeter and just generally seemed too pick up better and throttle response seemed alot sharper.

Mine only ever sees the morrisons cheapo fuel with a healthy dose of octane booster. Everything else is texaco.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by: