Drivers side drive shaft.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drivers side drive shaft.
Right guys hopefully found the problem with my gti6. Going to get hold of a drive shaft hopefully and get it fixed asap before we leave.
Quick question as ill be doing it and im not so experienced as my dads does mlst of the work to my cars as you know, but im getting more confident.
But how do I changed drivers side drive shaft?
Wheel off, hub nut off, bottom ball joint, undo from engine mounting and pull out the gear box.

Iirc is the speedo sensor attached and how do I remove it.

Just need to know so o can get it dont asap as wel leave at 3.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Leave speedo sensor alone.

Other than that, yup, spot on.

The two nuts n bolts holding the shaft to the engine mount are tricky.
They are 11mm, you will need a deep socket. Dont undo them all the way, just till they are at end of the thread. Then push the bolt through and turn it 180degrees. This gets the tab out the way.

May need a 'tap' to knock it out of the engine mount, but ensure those tabs are out the way first.

Jack drivers side RIGHT up, so you dont lose gear oil, that or drain and refill.

Good idea to consider replacing the driveshaft gearbox seal too

Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
basicly as you say!
the two bolts securing the centre shaft bearing dont need to be totaly removed as they will turn out the way once slackened enough,
the bearing might be a bitch to remove from the lower mount you may have to hammer it out,
you wont jack the gearbox high enough to stop oil comming out its easyer to clean the seal area catch what comes out and refill it trough the removed air vent on top of the box or drain and fill, should be 2ltrs of oil in there from empty
drive shaft centre nut is Feckin tight!
M20 nut is 265Nm
M24 nut is 320Nm
Thanks given by:
Yeah actually...
To undo that centre nut, take wheel off, take securing pin out, put wheel back on without the centre cap, drop back on floor.
Then undo it, in gear, handbrake on, chocks, someone with foot on brake or lump of wood against seat/brake pedal +big bar on the socket!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Cheers lads really appreciate the help. :-) hopefully I can get it done.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Will you want the RSX suspension mate if you make it?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(06-06-2014, 07:49 AM)Piggy Wrote: Yeah actually...
To undo that centre nut, take wheel off, take securing pin out, put wheel back on without the centre cap, drop back on floor.

As its a '6 he's probably on cyclones? Confused

Impact gun sorts hub nuts no problem though! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Cv joint is f*cked. Just trying to get the shaft out from the engine mount. The bolts feel undone but only the shaft is twisting.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(06-06-2014, 09:55 AM)kentiiboii Wrote: Cv joint is f*cked. Just trying to get the shaft out from the engine mount. The bolts feel undone but only the shaft is twisting.

Them 11mm ones? You have to slacken nearly all way off then twist them 90°
Thanks given by:
Make sure the bolts are loose, take the nuts off if in doubt. then tap the collar around the shaft that goes through the engine mount towards the drivers side, from underneath.

Some can be rights twunts...
Thanks given by:
What they mean by 'tap' is 'you'll need a sledgehammer' Kent. Wink
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  drive shaft removal cully 5 1,465 25-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  CV / drive shaft, puglove 11 2,523 23-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Last Post: cully