Cleaning Product Recommendations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning Product Recommendations
I'm not a 'detailer' by any means, but I like to clean my car and my dads car at least once a month to a decent standard.

I'm very low on -
Wheel Cleaner
Tyre Shine
Tar / Bug remover

I'm used to using AutoGlym products as they were always on offer at Halfords and seem pretty decent. I recently bought some Auto Finesse Citrus Power but other than smell nice it didn't budge any of the road grime. It worked through some green mossy type stuff which had built up behind the boot spoiler and that was about it. IMO, it's crap.

So what can you recommend? Bear in mind I don't spend forever doing my car and don't want to have to buy extra equipment! I just use the ol' 2 bucket method.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Megs Endurance Gel for the tyres, haven't found anything better yet!

Tardis is good for tar apparently, not tried it yet though.

No idea on wheels, I don't use wheel cleaner tbh.
Thanks given by:
Auto Smart Smart Wheels, nothing it won't shift and it's kind to your wheels. Normally used 3:1 or can be used neat if things are burnt in.

Auto Smart Tardis is a good tar remover, but you don't need a lot of tar remover with only one car to look at. I don't find much of a need for it and I don't use TFR products much, a decent snow foam and shampoo will return the car to its natural shine. Never seen much point with a decent shampoo.

Citrus power works well on bugs as a pre-wash, spray it on liberally and most of the bugs fall off with the hosepipe. I use it where I want things to stop growing, and to clean out door shuts and stuff - not much else.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Bilberry wheel cleaner, smells lush and is one of the best around.

Tyre shine ive found all work just aswell, got auto glym again atm, ive got some of their bumper and trim gel which does just the job too, aswell as the splitter and wing mirrors. None of it lasts very long.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's true. Endurance gel is ok but lasts about 1p0 days in this shit weather max
Thanks given by:
Tyre shine is never gonna last long though, due to the abuse tyres get. I think 2 weeks is plenty long enough, the wheels are covered in brake dust in that time and need a clean anyway tbf.
Thanks given by:
I've heard good things about the Bilberry stuff. I've also used Megs wheel cleaner before and didn't rate it as highly as the AG stuff.

Does the Bilberry stuff need diluting down? The advantage of the AG stuff is there's no messing about, straight from the spray nozzle onto the wheels.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
2 weeks? 2 fecking days on the mini!

Degreasing them helps prior to application. I just scrub the tyre with an old washing up brush and the leftover shampoo.
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2014, 01:26 PM)C2K Wrote: 2 weeks? 2 fecking days on the mini!

Degreasing them helps prior to application. I just scrub the tyre with an old washing up brush and the leftover shampoo.

Yeah they've gotta be clean obviously! Seems to last alright for me, obviously I do less miles though. Doesn't last well splashing through muddy puddles at 50ish, but that dirties the car and wheels anyway. I guess what I mean is Endurance Gel lasts as long as a clean car does lol.
Thanks given by:
Use Iron-X to clean wheels. I've not seen anything that can get crap out of them like that stuff can!
Thanks given by:
Bilberry comes in a 1 litre bottle and you dilute it as required. Tbh its a bargain compared to the ag stuff as its about the same price for a litre of bilberry as 500ml of ag.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I use megs stuff on mine, and for those nasty bugs imbedded on the front of the car I use a decent pile 150mmX150mm off cut of CARPET!! No scrubbing no contaminants just wipe a couple of times and bugs and residue disappear without marking paintwork Smile
Thanks given by:
Man that shit is ghetto. Won't catch me rubbing carpet against the car. :|
Thanks given by:
Have a look at the Autobrite range great price and stuff just works as it should.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Genuine Hel Performance product? Ben 4 1,357 23-04-2018, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Ben
  Dashcam Recommendations Toms306 95 18,541 17-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Last Post: 306carter
  Welder recommendations bashbarnard 21 3,948 11-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard