Losing the enthusiasm for owning fast cars...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losing the enthusiasm for owning fast cars...
i've been looking at 3-5l cars now! There a lovely A8 on autotrader not too far, but I do 20 miles a day and so cant afford it Sad
Thanks given by:
I've been looking at stuff like that recently, only averaging 20mpg from the 190 so been thinking I might as well have more power.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Used to average around 23 from my Saab, so 20 wouldn't be that much of a hit. IF I was still just pottering around town.

£120 a month on fuel just for work doesn't sound appealing though!
Thanks given by:
Used to get 28 in my 306 1.8 Cab. It's why so many now convert them to HDi's.

Mind, the GTi6 bits and a heavy right foot probably didn't do it any favours Big Grin
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
112 Bhp and 28mpg! Or 185bhp and 23 in my saab, with a fun turbo.

Im guessing thats why you dont see too many 306 Cabriolets about!

I wish i lived closer to work!
Thanks given by:
Over 26mpg here with 231hp N/A Wink
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Might take mine to a Bosch service centre and get the K-Jet set up, 190s are known for being shit on fuel but this is particularly bad, sure its running rich.
Thanks given by:
I know everyone will whinge at me...

But Meh...

Since I've had the Volvo, it doesn't change the fact I drive like an arsehole everywhere... I still enjoy driving, it's just different, you don't have to drive everywhere with your hair on fire, being uncomfortable etc. I'm enjoying going places in it, enjoying not worrying about it... I look like an old man, but meh, couldn't care less!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Same here to be honest, just driving the Merc is a nice experience.
Thanks given by:
(01-06-2014, 09:31 AM)Ruan Wrote: I know everyone will whinge at me...

But Meh...

Since I've had the Volvo, it doesn't change the fact I drive like an arsehole everywhere... I still enjoy driving, it's just different, you don't have to drive everywhere with your hair on fire, being uncomfortable etc. I'm enjoying going places in it, enjoying not worrying about it... I look like an old man, but meh, couldn't care less!

I used to do this in the Celica (bear with me).

From the inside it's a very basic car, yes it's low and swept-back but it was comfortable and being Japanese everything just 'worked' as it should. I would drive it like you would an Avensis 90% of the time, just so that ocassionally you could drive it like a loon in the upper rev-range.

I've argued with my dad over this, that having a faster car often calms you down. You've nothing to prove. In the HDi I can't be out-run by a shitty Corsa! As childish as that is, it's how it makes you feel behind the wheel. Inadequate. In the Celica I'd just let them pass, as I knew that if I wanted to burn the fuel I could destroy these eco-box cars.

Wish I could afford to fuel a petrol car again Sad
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2014, 09:35 AM)C.A.R. Wrote:
(01-06-2014, 09:31 AM)Ruan Wrote: I know everyone will whinge at me...

But Meh...

I used to do this in the Celica (bear with me).

From the inside it's a very basic car, yes it's low and swept-back but it was comfortable and being Japanese everything just 'worked' as it should. I would drive it like you would an Avensis 90% of the time, just so that ocassionally you could drive it like a loon in the upper rev-range.

I've argued with my dad over this, that having a faster car often calms you down. You've nothing to prove. In the HDi I can't be out-run by a shitty Corsa! As childish as that is, it's how it makes you feel behind the wheel. Inadequate. In the Celica I'd just let them pass, as I knew that if I wanted to burn the fuel I could destroy these eco-box cars.

Wish I could afford to fuel a petrol car again Sad

I agree. In my 106 nad I'd try to beat a lot of things but once I got my first 306 I stopped as I knew I could do it and had nothing to prove.
Thanks given by:
I think it's got a lot to do with the limits being more accessible in smaller, cheaper cars. I tend to be fairly calm driving my 306 because i know that to get close to the limit in a fun way is plain dangerous on the road, it's capable enough that speeds have to be doubled or more before it starts playing loose like a stock 306 on a roundabout, for example. However, the 106 nad i'm currently driving was sideways a couple of times on the commute home last night, just because you can make it happen at 15 miles an hour. lol
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Solution = two cars.
One to drive to work, be the family wagon, etc.
Second to be in bits, play with, swap engines, etc.
I did this about 12 years ago and the money saved in have a derv (on veg) bus and being able to pickup or deliver parts and cars (trailer) has been fantastic.
Cost of veg verses derv = equivalent of 90MPG long term ave.
Cost of insurance then also less. Second car, lower mileage, lower risk, etc.

Then of course you get carried away and end up with 6-7 at once on the drive.
Tho I sold a CRX last night so currently it's only 3 lol

I drive the passat fast.
I drive (or did) the crx like a fecking loon. Only because one can...

Currently rocking the Mrs Corsa 1.5TD which is rollin coal like a goodun tho needs the heaters on to keep it under 100C.
She hates me.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question for all you blackberry owning homos.... Niall 20 7,010 24-07-2015, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Matt
  Acer e15 windows 8 laptop keeps losing Wifi Paul_13 8 2,447 21-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Paul_13
  A bmw I would actually consider owning... ozonehostile 8 2,138 29-01-2014, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Piggy