Bag of nails

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bag of nails
My hdi is sounding like a rattling bag of nails under acceleration upto 3 grand then sounds like a new car after 3k does anyone else have or had this issue with theirs??
Thanks given by:
It's a sign of worn injectors.

The ticking is the pre injection phase.
Thanks given by:
Ok it's the sign of an expensive repair :/
Thanks given by:
Not really, get some low mileage injectors off a 307 and fit them yourself. It's not that bad a job if the injectors come out easy, if they are stuck it can be a pain.
Thanks given by:
It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them per se, just that they're a bit worn. As it gets worse you'll see power and mpg affected, and maybe even p0230 faults, but that's got to be really bad first.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ok will keep an eye on them it's due a service soon so I'll get new injectors fitted too, peace of mind keep on top of her and she'll look after me in the long run
Thanks given by:
Mine did that for well over 100k. Never did anything about it, no fault codes, no mpg drop, nothing.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
How many miles has she done? Unless you pick them up cheap and fit them yourself it can be quite a large bill, and as c2k says, probably not worth it...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I fitted some low mileage 076 injectors to c2ks HDi at 273k miles....apart from no ticking there was no other difference! Wouldn't bother tbh.
Thanks given by:
Precisely! I just turned up the stereo. Wink
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Problem with that is it just causes interior rattles instead! lol
Thanks given by:
It's done 130k
Thanks given by:
I shouldn't worry mate, i doubt very much there'll be any problem with them. Unless all of that 130k was done around town without the engine warming up properly lol. Do you have an engine cover? That cuts the injection noise down a lot.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I have put the engine cover back on, I shall keep an eye on them may run some injector cleaner through the system see if it improves the noise a little, it's not loud just noticeable, and as my ol'man always says to me if you can hear a noise that you haven't heard before get it looked at before it starts getting pricey
Thanks given by:
(31-05-2014, 01:34 PM)thebluepearl1 Wrote: ...and as my ol'man always says to me if you can hear a noise that you haven't heard before get it looked at before it starts getting pricey

I take it he hasn't owned many Peugeots? You'd always be looking if that was the case! lol

As for injector cleaner, no point, it wont make a difference.
Thanks given by:
Just to reiterate, don't bother replacing them. I got some low mileage ones on my S2 HDi, made no difference at all, just a tad quieter.
Thanks given by:
Don't use injector cleaner, doesn't do the hp system any good.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Basically it's a case of drive it until it breaks then?? Ha ha
Thanks given by:
It won't break. Its just an annoying noise lol.
Thanks given by:
yeh it is bloody thing, sounds sweet as, after 3k just before that it sounds like a rattly old diesel
Thanks given by:
Its because the pre-injection stops at 3k. Easy way to stop it, just drive over 3k everywhere lol.
Thanks given by:
Ha ha sounds good to me best get on the RE-MAP band wagon I'll enjoy it more
Thanks given by:
True...something actually happens after 3k with a remap! lol
Thanks given by:
Surprisingly my hdi seems pretty good as standard, drives well, has a decent top end, good mpg, and to my knowledge is all standard Smile
Thanks given by:
If it has any sort of top end, it's probably been mapped lol.
Thanks given by:
Well on a private road Wink it has read just under 120mph on a straight run so either my speedo is naff or it's been mapped but can't see the previous owner mapping it he was an old gent
Thanks given by:
Top end of the rev range not just top end of the speedo ? Smile
Thanks given by:
Oh yeah, there was nothing left in it that was it
Thanks given by:
Yeah theres not much past 3.5k rpm on a standard HDi, stage 1 makes it much more driveable.
Thanks given by:
I've been quoted £299 for a remap but people I've spoke to have said that it's a generic off the shelf map and there are cheaper maps out there that are better but living down in Cornwall the tuning/mapping companies are few and far between
Thanks given by: