spare tyre mechanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spare tyre mechanism
Im struggling to see how this spare tyre fits onto my 1999 meridian td. I bought it with the wheel off but now want to put the spare back. There is like a large bolt/hook which may be siezed (cant get anough purchase on anyway. is this supposed to hold a tray whcih holds the wheel?

F'ing annoying as it knocks about
Thanks given by:
[Image: IMG_1450_zpsqktquozr.jpg]
Thanks given by:
thanks, v helpful!
Thanks given by:
Probably is rusted solid by now, most are!
Thanks given by:
Is it bad if ur missing the plastic bolt that goes down the middle of the spare from the middle of the boot floor?
Thanks given by:
No, that bolt is a pain in the ass if you need the spare and have a bootful...
Thanks given by:
Haha I do have a boot full lol Tongue

[Image: 6iws4o.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2015, 10:19 AM)Toms306 Wrote: No, that bolt is a pain in the ass if you need the spare and have a bootful...

Even bigger pain when you discover someone's knicked your wheel though ! Undecided
Thanks given by:
Nicked your wheel? You tried getting the spare wheel out? Be quicker/easier to nick the car... lol

Plus who's gonna buy a 14" steel with an age knackered P6000 on it? Can't see any reason why someone would go to the hassle to try and nick it tbh.
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2015, 12:12 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Nicked your wheel?  You tried getting the spare wheel out?  Be quicker/easier to nick the car... lol

Plus who's gonna buy a 14" steel with an age knackered P6000 on it?  Can't see any reason why someone would go to the hassle to try and nick it tbh.

Used to happen years ago that's why peugeot started charging £50 to drill a hole in the floor & some ppl have an alloy as a spare even if it's 14 " lol
Thanks given by:
Yes back when they were new, no seized hooks and would have a £70 brand new tyre on a clean rim... Not now!! Tongue Why they didn't just build a wheel well into the boot I really don't know... Easier to access and impossible to steal from outside.

Most people have cyclones...you couldn't use the 'security' bolt with them anyway lol. And you cant even give away lasers/swallows with knackered tyres so no point nicking one of those. Not even like you could weigh it in as you'd pay tyre disposal lol.

I'd imagine the aftermarket stereo in most 306s is much easier to remove, easier to sell and worth more...so why on earth try nicking the spare when you could just bend the door open and have the stereo out... lol
Thanks given by:
Nobody is gonna steal a 306 spare wheel nowadays.

A lot of us run without a spare (cant fail on it at the MOT if it isn't there) and keep something like Holts Tyreweld in the boot as that stuff genuinely works and doesn't ruin the tyre. Obviously you are still screwed if you get a blowout but those are rare and that's what AA membership is for.

As for removing the original one spray it with Plus gas every day for a week then rather than using the end of the oem wheel brace to unscrew it use either a massive flat bladed screw driver or flat file in the groove and then clamp that with a big adjustable/mole grips etc and turn it like that to turn it.
Thanks given by:
nice rusty steel wheel as a spare!
Thanks given by:
Remember if you change wheels and the nuts are different you need to change the spare too! I had a puncture once and couldnt fit it as i had fitted cyclones with flat bolts and the spare took tapered!
Thanks given by: