Another what car thread...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another what car thread...
Having trouble making sure i've thought of all the options, i want something reasonably fast, decent ish spec, got about 4k to spend, as long as it does 20mpg im happy. Been looking at ep3 type r's, megane 225, leon cupra r etc, anyone think of any others?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
BM 3 series
9-3 Aero
any Volvo T5
205 XUD
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Cupra r ftw!

I love mine.

Infact tom, I'm down in Cornwall next week. Down st blazey way if you wanna see how capable a cupra is.
Thanks given by:
Clio182 ?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
The 225 audi S3 is a nice car
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You've not listed *any* comedy shed options there. For shame.

Can get some very nice 7 series/Jag XJ's for that sort of cash Big Grin
Thanks given by:
3 Series isn't really a proper 'drivers' car, it's a quick car yes, but hardly something you can point and shoot down a B-road in anger.
Meg 225s are ace but the reliability would concern me (talk to Scott on here he has one?)
Clio 182s are like a modern GTi6 with a worse interior and driving position
You'll struggle to avoid anything with a turbo nowadays, even though the power delivery and characteristics are a bit 'numb'. An EP3 is an excellent car, it's a car which needs and wants to be driven hard. Some will complain that they're 'not that quick' but the reality is that if you keep them on the boil they'll keep up with most things down a B-road, whilst they may feel a bit of a let down on a dual-carriageway blast in a straight line (no turbo, less torque). Build quality is spot on as is the driving position, though. They also appear to be pretty cheap to maintain.

If it were me I'd just get a drive in as many different cars as you can and see what you would really like to live with every day. A highly-strung N/A engine will be more rewarding to drive but can be tiresome in the long run, especially if you use a lot of motorways. How much is an S2000 or a DC2 Integra? Don't know how practical you need it to be...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2014, 07:58 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: 3 Series isn't really a proper 'drivers' car, it's a quick car yes, but hardly something you can point and shoot down a B-road in anger.

I used to think the exact same thing and was worried of the handling especially coming from a 6, but given how mines setup now I'd completely disagree, it's very very chuck'able for the weight and the nose goes exactly where you point it
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just depends on what you need in a car.

If I didn't need a biggish car id be driving a cooper S mini. They are so fun & once you get over the 'gay' comments they are an awesome car.. Supercharged & weigh nothing, handle like a go kart too.

I just think a lot of cars these days are so boring, a3, Ibiza, Leon, VXR, focus st etc the roads are full of them.

I went for a 3 series because I wanted a relatively quick diesel mid sized car because I do a lot of miles & often take family out.. An s2000 as suggested is absolutely insane to drive, like seriously if you drive one you WILL buy one. But you'll kill yourself in one.

What do you want from a car? Just pure fun factor? Something practical with a bit of oomph?
Old or new?

If I had 4k and didn't do as many miles as I do I'd look at:

Cooper S
Older s2000
330ci e46
Sierra cossie
E30 with a dirty engine conversion

I'm one of those that likes to stay relatively new if I'm spending, I know older stuff won't lose money but it's all just a personal thing.

Don't listen to the blinkered 'buy a 6 and spend 3k on fuel/mods" there are alternatives out there..

Good luck with whatever you get!

(22-05-2014, 08:09 PM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(22-05-2014, 07:58 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: 3 Series isn't really a proper 'drivers' car, it's a quick car yes, but hardly something you can point and shoot down a B-road in anger.

I used to think the exact same thing and was worried of the handling especially coming from a 6, but given how mines setup now I'd completely disagree, it's very very chuck'able for the weight and the nose goes exactly where you point it

There's reviews all over the net stating how good handling both the e46 and e90 has.. About how they are a real drivers car & love to be driven hard in the twisties..
Thanks given by:
How much is a mk1 focus rs these days?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2014, 08:23 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: How much is a mk1 focus rs these days?

Could be £50 for all it matters. You are just buying a pile of rust on wheels Wink
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
7500)8500 ozone. My mates getting one.

Selling his r32 golf for 5
Thanks given by:
Ah bit out of budget then aha

Same story for integra type r and s2k, otherwise I'd have one lol
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I'd either be buying a DC2 Integra or a Noggy blue 8L S3.
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2014, 08:10 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Sierra cossie

wishful thinking for 4K mate, just saw a 40k minter for 8k...love your thinking though JJ Wink

is this WRONG? but its under budget and oodles of fun..
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
That cupra will be on bricks if you leave it in blazey too long
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2014, 08:38 PM)Curt Wrote: I'd either be buying a DC2 Integra or a Noggy blue 8L S3.

+1 On the DC2, Awesome cars
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Wont be having a dc2, far to much £££. I want newer than 2000 at the very least. Practicallity isnt really an issue, but the car does have to be a nice play to be (within reason) no stripped out rattly shitboxs. I do 40 miles a day just to work and back.

Clio 182 no. Type r is very high on the list, amd the megane 225 seems like alot of car for the money, but is that beacause they're unreliable? Would love an s2000 but apparently the insurance on them is iffy? Can get older s3's for my kind of money but dont they have shit 4wd systems? Not so keen on a 3 series always thought they would be a bit to big heavy lathargic, could consider one if they are quick cars though...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
205 GTI
Merc 190E Cosworth
E36 M3
Nissan 300ZX
Porsche 944 S2
Toyota Celica GT-4
Volvo 850R
VW Corrado VR6
VW Golf GTI (mk2)

But then I like old cars lol
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
300ZX (RWD Twin Turbo)
200SX S13 / S14 (RWD Turbo)
Supra Mk4 (RWD Twin/Single Turbo)
BMW e36 325 (RWD Cheap Skids)
Ibiza Mk3 Cupra (FWD Turbo)

Most of the above can be found 2000 onwards.

I'd happily have any of the above!

If you haven't had a RWD yet then you'll have to pop your cherry sooner or later!

I'd stay away from the VTEC scene if you can help it...
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2014, 08:10 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(22-05-2014, 08:09 PM)Midnightclub Wrote:

There's reviews all over the net stating how good handling both the e46 and e90 has.. About how they are a real drivers car & love to be driven hard in the twisties..

I don't doubt that they're a quick car with good handling, but they're not a car you can grab 'by the scruff of the neck' and really push your luck in - they're a big car at the end of the day, nothing like what a light-footed hot hatch can do.

I'm the opposite to silverzx in this way, because I'd prefer to avoid anything with a turbo, rather than seek out something with one.

The N/A engine is condemned to the history books. It simply can't compete with modern emissions standards and the only places we are likely to see them on future cars are high-end sportscars / supercars, an area where they are already thinning out.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
Honestly test drive a few, it took me 6 months to decide.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
& i'm the same as you C.A.R in that sense, anything petrol i'd go for N/A, for the reliability side of things..
Thanks given by:
(23-05-2014, 08:56 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: & i'm the same as you C.A.R in that sense, anything petrol i'd go for N/A, for the reliability side of things..

How are turbo engines any less reliable? Just look at virtually everything Swedish and petrol!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(23-05-2014, 08:41 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: I'm the opposite to silverzx in this way, because I'd prefer to avoid anything with a turbo, rather than seek out something with one.

The N/A engine is condemned to the history books. It simply can't compete with modern emissions standards and the only places we are likely to see them on future cars are high-end sportscars / supercars, an area where they are already thinning out.

I'm just a power whore clearly. Inlove

280 BHP is plenty through the rear wheels though, not many cars produce that without a turbo, if they do they're usually stupid to insure, tax, put fuel in, high purchase price etc.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Was actually going to look at an s14 (280hp caught my attention) but i was to slow and missed it. Cant get one for under 4k really Sad

I would like something turboed, the only NA stuff that stands out to me is the vtec stuff, ep3 and s2000...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(23-05-2014, 09:21 AM)Tom Wrote: Was actually going to look at an s14 (280hp caught my attention) but i was to slow and missed it. Cant get one for under 4k really Sad

I would like something turboed, the only NA stuff that stands out to me is the vtec stuff, ep3 and s2000...

Wanna buy my S14? I certainly won't want anything near 4k.
Thanks given by:
(23-05-2014, 08:57 AM)Niall Wrote:
(23-05-2014, 08:56 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: & i'm the same as you C.A.R in that sense, anything petrol i'd go for N/A, for the reliability side of things..

How are turbo engines any less reliable? Just look at virtually everything Swedish and petrol!

Less ancilliaries - less can go wrong.

I really wanted an Accord Type R as a family wagon but they just don't do well enough in the economy stakes!

Whilst the Leon is a lovely car I can't help but think anything with the VAG 1.8T is dull as dishwater. There's so many of them, you can get one in a Golf, Leon, Ibiza, Octavia etc. Just too many of them about for them to really be 'interesting'. They're certainly capable engines, just not 'exciting'. More of an appliance than an engine.
Thanks given by:
Exactly as CAR said, how many blown turbos do you see on N/A cars?

one less thing to go wrong...
Thanks given by:
(23-05-2014, 08:41 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: I don't doubt that they're a quick car with good handling, but they're not a car you can grab 'by the scruff of the neck' and really push your luck in - they're a big car at the end of the day, nothing like what a light-footed hot hatch can do.

Without meaning to sound condescending, have you even driven a properly setup 3 series? Or is that opinion based purely on thought? Genuine question.

As stock I'll admit they have more body roll than i'd have liked but it's a compromise between comfort and handling ability. Oodles of grip and a perfectly balanced chassis however mean you can 'grab it by the scruff of the neck' and really feel where the limits are before it lets go. Yes it's a big car, but for instance, it only weighs about 200kg more than a GTi6 and when you see the build quality difference, you start to wonder how it's ONLY that much heavier.. and able to drive the way they do.

My best advice for you however Tom, is to just test drive as many cars as you can
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by: