Oily Turd-Bo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oily Turd-Bo
Been meaning to ask this for a while now. Poking about on the HDi, noticed there is a lot of oily snot around the pipe for the turd-bo. I cannot seem to find anything searching the forum on this, so can anyone enlighten me to what it may be?

Fairly sure it's nothing catastrophic, no nasty noises from the snail and a work colleague never noticed any smoke when following me. Although, I do suspect a boost leak.

[Image: f3b93066-4e29-4f89-b6a8-d79b7b7cbdd3_zps00e79ccd.jpg]
[Image: cc3350ba-6b38-4cc9-8eb5-051afc24c1f0_zpsbec8536b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Imagine there's a tear on the small rubber pipe coming directly off the turbo itself, this is what happened to ours and made a right mess
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Probably ypur intake pipe gas came off or the seal is away.

The crankcase vents into your Intake with all its oil vapour so if that seal isnt tight then it would allow some to escape Smile
Thanks given by:
I've been busy fitting a new clutch to the car (new pivot arm bushes and input shaft seal) and the pain-in-the-arse clutch cable. What the f*ck were Peugeot thinking of with that?

Anyway, with the shafts out I thought I'd have a look at the oily bits of the turbo. There are 2 parts that are grimmy, the air inlet pipe and the air outlet pipe. I've managed to remove the short rubber pipe on the outlet, but how do you remove the metal pipe on the inlet? I've removed the 10mm head bolts from each end of the metal pipe but it still won't move and I can't see any other securing points.

Anyone ideas why it leaks at these points? Or is it a case of oily snot from the breathers into the inlet track and simply blowing out of un-tight joints? This may make sense as it tends to whistle quite loudly sometimes! The short rubber pipe from the bottom of the turbo looks OK, as do the jubilee clips that secure it, but is it worthwhile replacing the rubber joint on the inlet side of the turbo in the photo below? (If I can get the metal pipe off!).

[Image: IMG_41401_zpse6ba0271.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Its as good as impossible to get that pipe out without removing the engine, although if you really want it off you can remove the top engine mount and roll the engine forwards for access - use a jack under the sump to support it. The pipe needs to be disconnected from the breather and maf at the other end before you can move it.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle did u recieve my e mail and payment?
Sean
Thanks given by:
That photo you have shown shows the bolt missing

Theres a small m6 bolt that goes into the turbo from that bracket, holding the intake pipe on.

It is a ballache to get at and ive always made sure its well on if ive had the engine out.
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2014, 02:49 PM)mcglynn Wrote: That photo you have shown shows the bolt missing

Theres a small m6 bolt that goes into the turbo from that bracket, holding the intake pipe on.

It is a ballache to get at and ive always made sure its well on if ive had the engine out.

The bolt was on there, I've taken it off both ends and the breather to try and remove the pipe.

Surely, I can't be the only HDi with oily grime there. What have others done? Live with it or replace the seal?
Thanks given by:
Mine looks similarly oily (as have other HDIs I've worked on).

I haven't managed to figure it out yet. I tightened the jubilee clips on the short silicone pieces on the plastic turbo pipe which doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I know inlet elbow gasket is leaking on mine but I can't see how this would make it oily lower down. I'm probably going to degrease the whole area and see where oil starts appearing after a few drives...
Thanks given by:
New o-ring would be the best bet i think.

That's the lowest point on the intake, therefore that's where the oil from the breather sits when the engine is off. Not surprising it seeps a bit in it's old age tbf lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I washed mine down with engine cleaner and a jet wash, not a drop come back so far Smile 180k and still going strong!
Thanks given by:
Another productive day. Managed to get the pipe off the turbo in the end. There is a nut behind the intake elbow holding it, as you can see in the photo (not my engine) below (the nut is just underneath the elbow).

[Image: HDiEngine_zpsd7e782e8.jpg]

Took the nut off and the pipe practically fell off. I would've expected the rubber seal to offer a bit more resistance to coming off. Anyways, a quick inspection of the turbo showed no signs of oily deposits inside, thank Christ. The intake elbow was looking gunk too so took that off as well which revealed.......

[Image: 20140613_105723_zps0a15c10f.jpg]

Oily gunk! Is there meant to be a gasket on the EGR pipe? This is my chance to blank the bloody thing anyway.

Plan is to order a new turbo seal, couple of decent jubilee clips (Mikalor), a few gaskets and knock up a blanking plate at work Sunday night. Just finished putting the new VTS struts/wishbones/TREs/Droplinks/fr.ARB and it looks the tits. Just got to sort the seals etc out and it'll be MOT time.
Thanks given by:
That's one of my pics from years ago isn't it, where on earth did you find that? lol

My bad, i thought you'd undone both the nuts holding it on. Fyi there's blanking plates on ebay for ~£3 if you're feeling lazy lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: