ABS Light on and rear drums locking up.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ABS Light on and rear drums locking up.
I recently had new rear drums,wheel cylinders,shoes plus bearings and hand brake cables put on the car since then my abs light has come on and if i brake hard my rear wheels lock up but my front's don't all was fine before the work was done, so any idea's what could be causing this ?
the car is a phase 2 1999 meridian D turbo if that is any help. Thank you in advance.
Thanks given by:
I'd say that there's a problem with the rear abs rings or sensors, most probably wrong rings or not there at all
Thanks given by:
ABS isnt working, hence the light and hence the locking up

Its possible a sensor was knocked or broken or non abs bearings fitted
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(11-05-2014, 06:54 AM)Piggy Wrote: ABS isnt working, hence the light and hence the locking up

Its possible a sensor was knocked or broken or non abs bearings fitted

I was thinking more the abs sensor was knocked as i made sure i bought the right parts, but don't understand why the front wheels aren't locking up to or is that normal ?.
Is it best to replace both abs sensors or find out what one is knackered and just replace that ? .
Thanks given by:
Put some weight in the boot, drive on gravel and brake really hard...fronts will lock up no problem

If you like spending money, then buy a pair, if you dont then find out which one is bust and replace that one
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
thanks for the reply's. I may as well buy a pair as it would cost me £40 to get it on a diagnostic machine or at least get the sensors tested when it's the same price for 2 new sensors from gsf.
Thanks given by:
if its since the drums/bearings were replaced, then its not the sensors is it ? the sensors haven't been changed but the other parts have, so therefore its the new parts at fault.
are the reluctor rings part of the new drum ? (non-abs drums been fitted ?), or is it an abs encoded bearing and the bearings have been pressed into the drums back to front ----so the sensors cannot tell the bearings are even there ?

with abs(anti-lock braking system) the wheels are NOT meant to lock up, so the fronts are working properly.

what evers been done to the rear has cause the problem you have now.
Thanks given by:
Once a fault is detected in the system, normally shown by a light on the dash, then the ABS does not work...on ANY wheels at all.

I echo the thoughts though, seems odd its since the bearings been changed, which involves changing the sensor ring
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
so it turns out it is a sensor fault i went to see the mechanic that done the work and he plugged it in and it came up with a code for the driver's side rear he thinks that either the abs sensor ring has shifted or the sensor itself is knackered.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear axle - drums to disc Dreijers 9 2,245 18-08-2016, 10:42 PM
Last Post: xanax
  Drums vs Disc. Lowering etc. What to do... Dazecoop 3 1,198 20-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Which master cylinder for 283mm discs and drums on rear simonh 4 1,863 11-02-2015, 12:02 AM
Last Post: vinny