Fitting Front ARB

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting Front ARB
When I bought my VTS beam, I also managed to get the front ARB too (as well as shocks etc). I'd like to fit this but need to clear something up.....As I understand the subframe can be dropped a touch without completely removing it. I'd imagine the lower engine mounting will have to be disconnected from the subframe, but what about the steering column?

The HDi has a rebuilt and lowered VTS beam already fitted, with B4 VTS shocks, refurbed calipers and new Lemforder mounts. Front is getting B4 VTS shocks, VTS springs, new SKF VTS top mounts, Lemforder droplinks/TREs/BJs and the VTS front ARB. Should be sweet when finished, shame my spare VTS 2.6 rack has the wrong pipe connections or I'd chuck that on too.
Thanks given by:
Just undo the bolt through the lower mount then drop the subframe down an inch. Job done. The column won't cause you any issues.

Don't forget if its a bigger ARB, you will need different ARB mounts. Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 10:20 AM)Niall Wrote: Just undo the bolt through the lower mount then drop the subframe down an inch. Job done. The column won't cause you any issues.

Not too difficult then....yep, got the ARB clamps with the ARB.
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 10:27 AM)Alan_M Wrote:
(10-05-2014, 10:20 AM)Niall Wrote: Just undo the bolt through the lower mount then drop the subframe down an inch. Job done. The column won't cause you any issues.

Not too difficult then....yep, got the ARB clamps with the ARB.

Clamps are the same mate. Its the rubbers you need Smile. Only about £10 for them
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Niall when you say this do you literally mean the rubber mounts or the sort of D shaped metal that clamps it? . . . . reason i ask is that i've got a GTI6 front ARB to go on the Dtub complete with the rubber mounts, this will fit in fine without anything else i'm hoping . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 10:35 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:

Niall when you say this do you literally mean the rubber mounts or the sort of D shaped metal that clamps it? . . . . reason i ask is that i've got a GTI6 front ARB to go on the Dtub complete with the rubber mounts, this will fit in fine without anything else i'm hoping . .Smile

The rubber mounts mate. The 'D' brackets are the same throughout the models i believe but the rubbers have a bigger centre bore to take the bigger ARB. As i said mate, they are only about £10 from ECP but double check you get the right size. When i did the ones on my 1.8, i got given 18mm ones which came up under my reg even though it had GTI suspension from the factory. In the end, i just got them to search manually for them Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 10:43 AM)Niall Wrote:
(10-05-2014, 10:35 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:

The rubber mounts mate. The 'D' brackets are the same throughout the models i believe but the rubbers have a bigger centre bore to take the bigger ARB. As i said mate, they are only about £10 from ECP but double check you get the right size. When i did the ones on my 1.8, i got given 18mm ones which came up under my reg even though it had GTI suspension from the factory. In the end, i just got them to search manually for them Smile

cheers, i've heard different things from different people but i'm sure you're right . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Don't bother, it wont improve it, and its probably the same size anyway!
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 11:13 AM)welshpug Wrote: Don't bother, it wont improve it, and its probably the same size anyway!

well surely it will lessen body roll, are you saying you think Dtub has same ARB as GTI then?
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 10:43 AM)Niall Wrote: The rubber mounts mate.

Got those as well, but for the cost of £9 from NeatAutos I ordered a new OE pair.
Thanks given by:
it'll be the same size most likely.

if it is smaller that's a good thing on a fwd car, more front end grip.
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 01:48 PM)welshpug Wrote: it'll be the same size most likely.

if it is smaller that's a good thing on a fwd car, more front end grip.

then why would they spec them on the GTI6? . . .Smile
Thanks given by:
my understanding was it transfers upward force from the outside wheel into downward force on the inside wheel, increasing grip. a bigger bar has less flex and so transfers more force?

correct me if im wrong, but thats just what ive learnt.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
transfers upward motion of the outer wheel ACROSS the car, where it tries to lift up the inner wheel into the wheel arch---effectively tries to tip the front of the car towards the inner wheel.
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 02:19 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: then why would they spec them on the GTI6? . . .Smile

'Cause it feels better to the unwashed masses if it doesn't lean so much, but they don't want to screw the spring rates up. Stiffer = must be a racecar.

There was no front arb on mine Wink

(10-05-2014, 05:40 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: my understanding was it transfers upward force from the outside wheel into downward force on the inside wheel, increasing grip.

No, it transfers upwards force in the outside wheel, into upwards force on the inside wheel.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
why did Citroen go stiffer on the rear springs and a faster steering rack? Wink
Thanks given by:
... to make more of their cars donor'able into a better looking Peugeot than just the engine? :p
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  fitting a front suspension ball joint impotentials 3 2,031 29-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  front strut brace fitting titch 6 2,644 03-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Last Post: titch