306 2.0 TURBO 8v exhaust manifold

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 2.0 TURBO 8v exhaust manifold
Hi all, have joined from f/b as not allowed to advertise on there!!!
My 306 has been treated to a 2.0 turbo conversion carried out by me and my mate. I wanted certain things done in a certain way (don't we all!!!).
Firstly, I wanted a HDI 3dr shell for the cheap RFL and Cyclones.
Wanted totally standard from outside.
Factory look under bonnet.
And the loom done so I can remove and refit another HDI easily and the 2.0 back into another 406 with the loom not all butched.
This has all been achieved but the only issue being the turbo stroking again the bulkhead Sad . Have cut some of the box section to give more clearance but still not sufficient. The steering column is the obstacle now. I rewelded rear mount slightly longer to give clearance but would like to use original size mount.
Is this possible keeping it looking standard????
Any advise appreciated, thanks Chris.

Have run it completely 406 turbo spec with original loom and ecu in same position too. All boost hoses uncut and the 406 radiator with the massive intercooler. I had to suck off the a/c but rad was knacked anyway. Trimmed the rad fan housing down to get it all in lol. Its got a 6 speed in it too but not the proper 6 speed knob if any 1 got one cheap as chips........

And yes I had to slip a dump valve on but as my Renault 9 Turbo has been sat in garage for 4yrs I guessed it weren't being used to great potential on that along with the in car adjustable boost lol!!
Thanks given by:
Hi, after posting this yonks ago not a single reply????
I'm sure I cant be the only one to have encountered this problem on a 306 or have the other ones been converted with modified manifolds???

And I've just realised the added bits didn't count towards the 20 posts Sad
Thanks given by:
I don't think you've got many replies because this conversion isn't done very often?
Get some more pics up of the engine bay?
Thanks given by:
As said not very common, is it not only 150bhp engine? Or is it 200??
Looks a neat job though mate
Well done
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
150 for the xu10j2te
Thanks given by:
150bhp.
Pretty ineffecient too.
Old engine tbh.

Most would drop a GTi engine in.

But to be fair, at least you have a one off engine!

I would say you have two options:

1) find a smaller but more modern turbo, thus providing more power but in a smaller package.
2) gearbox mount the turbo...and while you're at it, use a GT25 too!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
So are you leaving it registered as a diesel?
Thanks given by:
Gearbox mounting the turbo would solve the problem and be awesome. Not very factory standard though D:
Thanks given by:
(01-06-2014, 08:13 PM)Sambarker Wrote: So are you leaving it registered as a diesel?

Well, seems a shame to hassle DVLA to get it all changed and pay £100+ extra to tax. Was as I said a very good reason for wanting a 2001 shell. I was looking for a 205/309 shell but they were either shitters or minters. Nothing inbetween for reasonable money. I also wanted pas and abs too which makes the chances of finding one as likely as a catholic priest who doesn't "like" little boys!!!! Also think corrosion more of an issue with the '80's gti's. I've been fortunate with my gti's over the years to have solid shells but now its a real struggle. Had a Mi 309 but paid to have it converted whereas this one was me and a mate!!
Think the turbo issue isn't a problem in 205's and 309's but never heard about it for 306's until doing swop and finding it wouldn't bolt up lol!

[quote='Piggy' pid='437492' dateline='1401636729']
150bhp.
Pretty ineffecient too.
Old engine tbh.

1) find a smaller but more modern turbo, thus providing more power but in a smaller package.

Its an old one but bullet proof design. Never had problems with it and very few others have had issues with them either. I had a boost pipe clip missing, actuator bolts coming loose and exhaust gasket blowing. 3 little problems since being in 306 and 11months in 406 nothing at all.
Runs 182bhp 24/7 and never misses a beat. Cost nothing for extra 32 bhp. Cant say that for a gti-6 engine. Filter, decat & s/s exhaust not peanuts even 2nd hand. The bottom ends, top ends, head gaskets really don't seem to last now they getting on, coupled with poor maintenance cam belts too.
I'd say back in the day they were good but now they need a comprehensive history or a lot of work beforehand to guarantee a reliable motor.
These seem throw in and forget engines. Think its the beauty of 8 valves. Don't think phase 1 XSI engines got too many problems generally even if they were rather lacking power.
Thank you for the suggestions on turbo too Smile

(01-06-2014, 03:05 PM)Jimbo Wrote: As said not very common, is it not only 150bhp engine? Or is it 200??
Looks a neat job though mate
Well done

Thank you, its complete with the grime of the past 17yrs as well. As my mate said "clean it" but its factory spec as much as I could keep it. He wanted to redo engine loom to move ecu behind the battery like 306 but that's not how Peugeot do 406 2.0 turbo's lol.
There are a couple of things that could do with finishing off better like the expansion bottle secured and re shortening the rear mount after trimming bulkhead which should hopefully give radiator 2/3mm more space from boost hose at front of engine.
Don't know why its uncommon really.

(01-06-2014, 02:26 PM)luke306rallye Wrote: I don't think you've got many replies because this conversion isn't done very often?
Get some more pics up of the engine bay?

I'll get a few more of engine bay hopefully 2moz when I'm at work!!
Thanks given by:
(01-06-2014, 03:32 PM)Piggy Wrote: 150bhp.
Pretty ineffecient too.
Old engine tbh.

Obviously gti conversion pointless as they are factory line. Other then for the cheap tax. Nothing to gain for a full 6 swop in my eyes but I guess that's just my opinion like others with theirs about my idea of boosting this. If it was a turbo 6 then I'd agree but on my Tesco 16hrs I can only dream of that. Colin at P.P. seems to do a nice line in them all the same.
Thanks given by:
Just fyi....

It is technically tax avoidance to not re-register your engine change. Can invalidate your insurance too.

So if found out...thats huge fines and loss of your car and possibly licence. Its a ball ache I know. DVLA still wont believe I have a diesel after 6months of trying to convince them!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2014, 05:34 AM)Piggy Wrote: Just fyi....

It is technically tax avoidance to not re-register your engine change. Can invalidate your insurance too.

So if found out...thats huge fines and loss of your car and possibly licence. Its a ball ache I know. DVLA still wont believe I have a diesel after 6months of trying to convince them!!

Will your engine swop impact the tax class?? If its emission class then going from a petrol to diesel could lose dvla the £100+ I'm saving having through having mine as a diesel still. So why are they gonna change it even if you've tried too tell them for 6 months??
A friend of mine has changed the amount of doors he has (5drs to 3drs) after changing the i.d. off one car to the other. Sent the logback to them and it came back swopped, no questions asked. Work that one out lol.
Thanks given by:
The DVLA are and always have been a law unto themselves.

Piggy's case is typical - one day you can do an engine swap and they'll reissue the V5C with the changes applied no questions asked, and the next, they'll make you get engineers reports and the whole shebang and still refuse to do it.

I'm pretty sure that you're really not supposed to swap the ID from one shell to another though, so I'm suprised that the DVLA just changed the paperwork without asking questions if it was made clear that's what had been done. As far as I know, it should have kept the ID of the donor shell regardless - if you could just move ID's will-nilly there would be no need for a VIC test to check you hadn't done exactly that when putting an insurance write-off back on the road!

(the exception I believe is when using a brand new shell, although I don't know the specifics of that)

I don't know how engine swaps and tax brackets is supposed work on the post-2001 emissions based tax system - the older capacity based system was easy, but given there never was a XU10 Turbo powered 306 the emissions are unknown and it's completely unfeasable to retrospectively test.... but unquestionably far higher than the HDi lump it replaced! I would imagine that it probably should revert to the older system if emissions are unknown, but whether it does or not I wouldn't like to say and I'm in no mood to trawl through DVLA documentation to find out!

No experience with that engine in a 306 I'm afraid, only 205's and the original donor cars. I have heard of others having the issue you're getting with turbo clearance, but I had been under the impression that cutting away that rail was sufficient - evidentally not, unless it's a joyous Peugeot lax tolerance issue that amuses me no end swapping engines on 205's and finding massive differences between one shell and the next...
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2014, 10:59 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: The DVLA are and always have been a law unto themselves.

Piggy's case is typical - one day you can do an engine swap and they'll reissue the V5C with the changes applied no questions asked, and the next, they'll make you get engineers reports and the whole shebang and still refuse to do it.

I'm pretty sure that you're really not supposed to swap the ID from one shell to another though, so I'm suprised that the DVLA just changed the paperwork without asking questions if it was made clear that's what had been done. As far as I know, it should have kept the ID of the donor shell regardless - if you could just move ID's will-nilly there would be no need for a VIC test to check you hadn't done exactly that when putting an insurance write-off back on the road!

(the exception I believe is when using a brand new shell, although I don't know the specifics of that)

I don't know how engine swaps and tax brackets is supposed work on the post-2001 emissions based tax system - the older capacity based system was easy, but given there never was a XU10 Turbo powered 306 the emissions are unknown and it's completely unfeasable to retrospectively test.... but unquestionably far higher than the HDi lump it replaced! I would imagine that it probably should revert to the older system if emissions are unknown, but whether it does or not I wouldn't like to say and I'm in no mood to trawl through DVLA documentation to find out!

No experience with that engine in a 306 I'm afraid, only 205's and the original donor cars. I have heard of others having the issue you're getting with turbo clearance, but I had been under the impression that cutting away that rail was sufficient - evidentally not, unless it's a joyous Peugeot lax tolerance issue that amuses me no end swapping engines on 205's and finding massive differences between one shell and the next...

No it wasn't made clear but a 5dr to 3dr is quite a major shell change and they didn't question it at all. No checks at all. To be fair if a good removal and refitting of i.d. is carried out a vic wouldn't show it up providing it doesn't look disturbed or painted but then I have heard a chasis stamp isn't required as long as the plate is riveted in. Some repaired 306's don't have it after a chasis leg replacement but I've never had one like it myself.
The rail removed fixed that bit but the steering column is the issue and I don't think grinding that is an option lol
Thanks given by:
I know a 2.0 8v turbo swap on a zx.
Came to give between 250-290HP engine std, just with:
Intercooler
Turbo td05
Handmade exhaust manifold
oil cooler
electronics made ​​by the owner

two engines dying by gas recirculation. Oil on pistons and small lesions.
Now construllendo a forged engine, hoping 350hp

All done at home

I put you your thread
http://www.forocepos.com/vbulletin/showt...-8v-turbo)
Thanks given by:
(03-06-2014, 12:23 AM)akuma406 Wrote: I know a 2.0 8v turbo swap on a zx.
Came to give between 250-290HP engine std, just with:
Intercooler
Turbo td05
Handmade exhaust manifold
oil cooler
electronics made ​​by the owner

two engines dying by gas recirculation. Oil on pistons and small lesions.
Now construllendo a forged engine, hoping 350hp

All done at home
Very interesting, done along the lines of mine keeping original. Only translated 2 pages but want to read the rest lol. Was another car I considered for engine swop but nothing with the cheaper road tax unless I had a 1.4 to start off with!!!

I put you your thread
http://www.forocepos.com/vbulletin/showt...-8v-turbo)
Thanks given by:
With regards to tax as I understand it...

Unless you have proper emissions data for that engine in that car, I don't think you can change the tax class since yours is a Y plate, now that's not to say the DVLA won't want you to do that, but that's how I've understood it... End of the day technically all you're doing is saying "Was a 1998cc Diesel engine, now a 1997cc Petrol engine and the engine number is xxxxxxxx" - the fact it's turbocharged as far as DVLA goes doesn't matter, they care about fuel type and engine number...

With regards to that engine, they're quite popular in 205s, but were never very popular in 306s mostly because of their relatively poor economy for the power output and on stock management unless you get it remapped, they're limited to 1bar boost as I remember - it'll cut fuel past that, hence were never really explored as an option. As I remember the heads on the 2.0s are actually crap from the factory, but are better for port shaping etc and need a decent cam to really extract good performance out of them. I'd love to try one tbf, but the price of fuel etc makes it a poor choice for me... And yes, GTi6s are more powerful and easier to fit, hence easy swaps - not many people would see the benefit of a turbocharged car to begin with - they automatically say "it's less power than I have now" and in stock form I understand they're a little limp vs the GTi6 which has a cracking soundtrack and a good top end...

Also yeah, as you've found it's not the most direct swap...Might be worth you raising the engine slightly on the left - place a few spacers if the clearance problems are minimal?! I had this problem and solved it with a few small washers just to raise the engine a few mill to stop it touching at full load.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Those engines with electronica, arriving well to 230hp well.
Pistons series limited to a blown 1.2bar
Improving components can reach about 300hp, so yes, very bad mpg
But investment in money, get more hp than a XU10J4RS to my view
if you spend money on a forged interior, easily converts into crazy power, working with electronics std
look at these two cases, the most famous, the French 205 tct Eraser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gMXcz0-RZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx4d59EhaUk
by 206, another forged forero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td3tz9-qbQw
Thanks given by:
Hi Rob, my mates shit hot on wiring but struggled with this. I had some details on laptop from a ripped Autodata disc which helped for pin diagrams. Wasn't a walk in the park at all.
Good luck, was engine on ebay wasn't it as he was going V6???? Chris.
Thanks given by:
406 sri Turbo engine? iv got one that was running 265hp, done a few more things and am hoping for 365hp, when its mapped
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2014, 09:20 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: 406 sri Turbo engine? iv got one that was running 265hp, done a few more things and am hoping for 365hp, when its mapped
Yes, that's correct from the executive so the fancy black leather. Only difference really. What have you done to get that power??? And how far does £20 of fuel get you running 265bhp??
Thanks given by:
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-17513.html

its all there, Iv only driven the car about 100 miles in the year or two iv owned it, but i think i got about 100 miles from a quartet tank, With it being a project car and probably only get used a few times a year when its finished, mpg is not a concern but its all to do with how you drive
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 01:09 AM)renault9turbo Wrote: Hi all, have joined from f/b as not allowed to advertise on there!!!
My 306 has been treated to a 2.0 turbo conversion carried out by me and my mate. I wanted certain things done in a certain way (don't we all!!!).
Firstly, I wanted a HDI 3dr shell for the cheap RFL and Cyclones.
Wanted totally standard from outside.
Factory look under bonnet.
And the loom done so I can remove and refit another HDI easily and the 2.0 back into another 406 with the loom not all butched.
This has all been achieved but the only issue being the turbo stroking again the bulkhead Sad . Have cut some of the box section to give more clearance but still not sufficient. The steering column is the obstacle now. I rewelded rear mount slightly longer to give clearance but would like to use original size mount.
Is this possible keeping it looking standard????
Any advise appreciated, thanks Chris.

Have run it completely 406 turbo spec with original loom and ecu in same position too. All boost hoses uncut and the 406 radiator with the massive intercooler. I had to suck off the a/c but rad was knacked anyway. Trimmed the rad fan housing down to get it all in lol. Its got a 6 speed in it too but not the proper 6 speed knob if any 1 got one cheap as chips........

And yes I had to slip a dump valve on but as my Renault 9 Turbo has been sat in garage for 4yrs I guessed it weren't being used to great potential on that along with the in car adjustable boost lol!!

I am doing the same conversion at the moment using a Citroen Xantia Activa 2.0 8v engine, I had a good chat with pug1off and they advised to cut the bulkhead box section as you have done, use the GTI-6 engine mounts, they also said that you can also extend the lower engine mount by a max of 17mil for clearance, any more and it will cause problems.

On mine i have re-routed the ABS sensor wire and brake line so that they run behind the servo plus re-routed the fuel and power steering pipe to allow for extra clearance.

Which exhaust down-pipe/cat have you used? As i am unsure if to use a Xantia one or a GTI-6 one.

I have attached some pics of what i have done so far.

[attachment=16828]
[attachment=16829]
[attachment=16830]
[attachment=16831]
[attachment=16832]
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
[I am doing the same conversion at the moment using a Citroen Xantia Activa 2.0 8v engine, I had a good chat with pug1off and they advised to cut the bulkhead box section as you have done, use the GTI-6 engine mounts, they also said that you can also extend the lower engine mount by a max of 17mil for clearance, any more and it will cause problems.

On mine i have re-routed the ABS sensor wire and brake line so that they run behind the servo plus re-routed the fuel and power steering pipe to allow for extra clearance.

Which exhaust down-pipe/cat have you used? As i am unsure if to use a Xantia one or a GTI-6 one.

I have attached some pics of what i have done so far

That all looks a hell of a lot more professionally done then mine but didn't realise the probs till getting the engine bolted in on g/box and chassis leg mount. I don't know the length I extended the rear mount. All about cost and parts I had so tried cutting half the 406 mount to get that to fit cam belt side but weren't having any of it unfortunately so its got a proper gti-6 mount. Yes the ABS cable is a pain as to is the brake pipe. Was unclipped and moved up a bit higher.
The gti-6 clutch cable was fitted after getting engine in so then had to remove the left over a/c pipes as was soooooo little room to work in to get it back through bulkhead!!
I screwed up on downpipe cat as scrapped whole petrol cat and never cut neck off before weighing in.
Believe it or not its running the full HDI system with 2 or 3 slits made in the cat pipe and rewelded to get right angle. And a lambda sensor thread welded in on the side. Was all it took!!
I have a neighbour here who has an activa which has sat for 4yrs on his drive. 80k all its done. I could have it off him for cheap but I'd like to resurrect it and experience that activa suspension that's sposed to blow u away with how hard you can drive them on corners and get away with it lol.
Was took off road for no reason but then he is the guy that had a 7 series that needed an air hose for suspension and that got scrapped. Big 4.0 V8. That would have made for a better engined E36 conversion then a M3 but no idea if it was feasible.
My 2.0 16V converted 309 used the 306 S16 loom instead of the Xantia one as loom wasn't easy to split down and very, very little diagrams for it either. Again me knowing that the 155BHP engine was in them on a 93/K only I got a whole car for £100 when S16 and Mi lumps where making £400+ 8 or 9yrs ago.
You might find the Peugeot 406 loom better to work on. I know xsara VTS looms don't make good conversions on 205s but a gti-6 loom runs perfectly even if its all wired up the same.
Have you got any diagrams to work with etc????
Thanks given by:
Another point to mention but guessing you may well have replaced a few bits on yours before fitting is to change the exhaust manifold gaskets before fitting the engine in. As mine was fine in 406 for 11 months then again in the 306 for 5/6 months then gasket went!!! Wot an effinn job to do especially in the 306. Nevertheless we stripped front off and took engine off 2 mounts to be able to get spanners in to strip it down lol. Then shortly after had a repeat performance on an actual 406 which was mildly easier to do. Front stayed on car, bout it thou lol!!

a few more of engine in 306 and last one of my mint 1 lady owner from new 406 executive with 59k genuine!
Thanks given by:
I know they can be tuned, and it's tempting to have a dump valve in a petrol 306 with people turning and going "What the hell is in that?!" but god it's an old ugly ugly engine!
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2014, 10:33 PM)Orta Wrote: I know they can be tuned, and it's tempting to have a dump valve in a petrol 306 with people turning and going "What the hell is in that?!" but god it's an old ugly ugly engine!

Lol, pends wot u want if its for showing or thrashing!! To me its a 1.9 gti engine with a couple of extra hoses on it. Which isn't far from the truth either. Smile
Thanks given by:
Cast block 1.9 Gti engine
Thanks given by:
(15-06-2014, 06:54 AM)renault9turbo Wrote: [I am doing the same conversion at the moment using a Citroen Xantia Activa 2.0 8v engine, I had a good chat with pug1off and they advised to cut the bulkhead box section as you have done, use the GTI-6 engine mounts, they also said that you can also extend the lower engine mount by a max of 17mil for clearance, any more and it will cause problems.

I have attached some pics of what i have done so far

That all looks a hell of a lot more professionally done then mine but didn't realise the probs till getting the engine bolted in on g/box and chassis leg mount. I don't know the length I extended the rear mount. All about cost and parts I had so tried cutting half the 406 mount to get that to fit cam belt side but weren't having any of it unfortunately so its got a proper gti-6 mount. Yes the ABS cable is a pain as to is the brake pipe. Was unclipped and moved up a bit higher.
The gti-6 clutch cable was fitted after getting engine in so then had to remove the left over a/c pipes as was soooooo little room to work in to get it back through bulkhead!!
I screwed up on downpipe cat as scrapped whole petrol cat and never cut neck off before weighing in.
Believe it or not its running the full HDI system with 2 or 3 slits made in the cat pipe and rewelded to get right angle. And a lambda sensor thread welded in on the side. Was all it took!!
I have a neighbour here who has an activa which has sat for 4yrs on his drive. 80k all its done. I could have it off him for cheap but I'd like to resurrect it and experience that activa suspension that's sposed to blow u away with how hard you can drive them on corners and get away with it lol.
Was took off road for no reason but then he is the guy that had a 7 series that needed an air hose for suspension and that got scrapped. Big 4.0 V8. That would have made for a better engined E36 conversion then a M3 but no idea if it was feasible.
My 2.0 16V converted 309 used the 306 S16 loom instead of the Xantia one as loom wasn't easy to split down and very, very little diagrams for it either. Again me knowing that the 155BHP engine was in them on a 93/K only I got a whole car for £100 when S16 and Mi lumps where making £400+ 8 or 9yrs ago.
You might find the Peugeot 406 loom better to work on. I know xsara VTS looms don't make good conversions on 205s but a gti-6 loom runs perfectly even if its all wired up the same.
Have you got any diagrams to work with etc????

I binned all the AC off my engine as my 1.8 was non ac. when i have some more pennies i am going to get the gti6 non ac set up for it as it will fit.

I have auto data so i can compare ecu pin locations etc, but what i really need is a wiring diagram for the 1.8 that shows where the engine bay loom runs under the front cross-member up the wing and into the car, so that i can bastardize it to fit, then there is the coding issues as i have a late ecu that is not unlocked. But these things are sent to test lol
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
I binned all the AC off my engine as my 1.8 was non ac. when i have some more pennies i am going to get the gti6 non ac set up for it as it will fit.

I have auto data so i can compare ecu pin locations etc, but what i really need is a wiring diagram for the 1.8 that shows where the engine bay loom runs under the front cross-member up the wing and into the car, so that i can bastardize it to fit, then there is the coding issues as i have a late ecu that is not unlocked. But these things are sent to test lol
[/quote]
Most Tu set up will fit without a/c. I robbed a 1.8 406 of the relevant pulleys and brackets. If you look about on ebay plenty of bits to make the kits up which are cheaper then buying an actual rallye specific kit.
I had my ecu unlocked as the 406 had 2 keypad unlocked ones that I relocked so a guy near me unlocked those 2 plus the 1 that came with the transponder key.
Yes that's a struggle without the diagram. My mate stripped diesel loom off engine and labelled them up. Cut off unnessary ones then joined them to the 406 loom after putting test light to the relevant pin after looking on autodata to match up. Took some time but did work.
I'm assuming if yours was a 1.8 8v rather then a 16v it would be a lot easier to connect up.....
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gti6 exhaust manifold connorp 0 910 02-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Last Post: connorp
  Gti6 exhaust manifold connorp 1 1,306 01-05-2015, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Niall
  Exhaust manifold fitted but...... jay5488 0 806 30-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Last Post: jay5488