Cambelt + Tensioners

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambelt + Tensioners
Hi Guys,

First post, so go easy on me Big Grin ...

Great forum, so inspired by what you guys are achieving with the TD. :clap:

I need some advice. My car has bosch pump, is standard at present and has 110K on it, it came with no history although looks to have been well looked after. I've serviced the car and yesterday had it booked into a local garage to get the cambelt, tensioners and water pump done. I picked up the car and found out that only the water pump and belt had been changed. Crossed wires somewhere along the lines maybe Confusedhifty:

Anyway, I have a car that has a new belt but no new tensioners, so my question to you guys in the know, are the tensioners a known weak link and are they a common point of failure? I hear of belts snapping, but not sure about tesnioners failing.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated, thanks in advance. Smile
Thanks given by:
First poster, and getting stuck in! Tongue Let's see this beast of the TD! ; ) teehee

It's more the play in them.

When I took mine off, the tensioner and idler (two of the idler bolts where completely loose o_O ) both had slight movement (side to side of course) which worried me a little and thought thank god I changed them and they both span pretty freely (too freely).

Well at least the belt and pump is done, might as well finish it off and replace the idler and tensioner in my opinion. Fully sorted then!! ;D
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
That's what I'm thinking TBH.Sad

Pee'd off that I paid somebody to do it, because I haven't got time and then it looks like i'm going to have to do it again myself anyways...gutted!!

Changed lucas to bosch pumps in the past and cambelts and tensioners, but it's been a while...Noticed the bottom belt cover isn't on there anymore either. Sad

Anybody got one kicking around, it's off a 98.
Thanks given by:
Wow Matty, 40psi!! Just noticed your sig.

How many HP are you making with the TD04...That is crazy boost man!!Wink
Thanks given by:
If you paid them to actually do the tensioners, go down and sort it out if I where you.

Hmm. I'll let you know if I see one anywhere on the internet mate.

To be fair, you've just reminded me, I'm running no cambelt covers at all at the moment rofl. I really need to put them back on Tongue

Keep us up to date!! ; )

edit: Just seen your post.

meh, 40psi, nothing. Seriously. There's others on here you'll meet, running more than that with bigger turbos etc etc. Not sure yet mate, going to get it on the rolling road very very very soon.

Have a good look around in the project threads, especially look for darrenjlobb's thread ; )
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
Thanks given by:
^^ lol at reading mattys sig

Depends what condition they were in, if you paid a garage to do the belt you would think that they would have checked them while the belt was off but it wouldn't do any harm to change them, chances are it will be OK but its not really worth risking IMO

Oh and welcome along to the club BTW Smile

and as matty says, there are people running more boost and much sillier setups than a TD04 Big Grin
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:^^ lol at reading mattys sig

teehee Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Matty Wrote:
mark_airey Wrote:^^ lol at reading mattys sig

teehee Big Grin

Wish I knew what mine was boosting but I can't be far behind you, gauge ends at 30Psi lmao
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Well, I really don't know either could be way above 40psi (edited sig for true reading ¬¬ ). I managed to get it just pinned (at 30psi), then, i added huge amounts of fuel, and a lot faster rofl. The max fuel screw is in.....alot. o_O
Thanks given by:
Matty Wrote:Well, I really don't know either could be way above 40psi. I managed to get it just pinned, then, i added huge amounts of fuel, and a lot faster rofl. The max fuel screw is in.....alot. o_O

Yeah mine is turned down a bit currently and still pins the gauge at 30 Big Grin (i got bored of an 1100rpm idle)

your on an 11mm pump though so should be a bit more than me, anyway, enough hijacking of the poor new guys thread lmao

Sorry :oops:
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
ROFL...so true. Sorry for hi-jacking thread also. We should be ashamed Mark. :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry:

Good luck mate! Smile
Thanks given by:
I hear ya, not the worth the risk, that's why I asked for the kit, but what can you do. Sad

I had a white BX TZD estate (ecto1) years ago that i bosch pumped and wound up to 20psi on the little T2, I thought that was pushing it!!! lol

40psi ROFL!! That's ace Smile
Thanks given by:
You see, you where already on the right path...Bosch + t2 yooo!!! Tongue

darrenjlobb was running like 60odd psi ; )
Thanks given by:
ohms Wrote:I hear ya, not the worth the risk, that's why I asked for the kit, but what can you do. Sad

Go back and tell them to finish the job they were paid for...? Had this problem with garages before, at the end of the day they've quoted for a job and then not completed the work effectively, they owe you sorting out those tensioners.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Agreed, and as far as I was concerned I was getting the tensioners as I asked for the kit and it was what he quoted me 160 incl VAT last week.

But when I got home after he'd finished the car last night I noticed he bill just said cambelt...So I called him back to query and he confirmed that he just did the belt and pump.

I did only pay the quoted 160 all in for the job, so would that have covered the tensioners as well?? What's the going rate for belt tensioners and wp usually?? Not sure what the going rate is :nope:
Thanks given by:
Matty Wrote:You see, you where already on the right path...Bosch + t2 yooo!!! Tongue

darrenjlobb was running like 60odd psi ; )

Confusedhock: :o

What HP and torque figures are people getting out of the xud then??

Sorry...hi-jacking my own thread now, more interesting than dealing with the politics of tensioners anyways. lol
Thanks given by:
ohms Wrote:Confusedhock: :o

What HP and torque figures are people getting out of the xud then??

Sorry...hi-jacking my own thread now, more interesting than dealing with the politics of tensioners anyways. lol

Lots Big Grin around double factory power and then a bit! can't remember what darrens made, I remember it was 191BHP with a broken fuel pump at FCS last year.

go and read darrens thread here - <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=82" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=20&t=82</a><!-- l -->

that will open your eyes a bit lol it follows the nice simple theory of more air (bigger turbo) + more fuel (tuned pump) = bigger bang................
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aux Belt Routing - 2 Tensioners Needed? bigcheez2k3 2 1,326 11-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Last Post: toseland
  Aux Belt and Tensioners on A/C XUD? bigcheez2k3 14 3,822 05-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Last Post: bigcheez2k3