over active ABS?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
over active ABS?
Out in the wet yesterday (and previously) I've noticed when coming up to junctions and braking, perhaps coming up a bit fast and braking a bit later than 'normal' (nothing manic though) the ABS kicks in and the car just keeps sliding forwards.
You can really feel the judder of the ABS through the pedal.

It's happened a few times mostly over slightly wet and broken road surfaces, a few times yesterday where they have that yellow tarmac in the last 10 metres before the give way line. Also when the nearside tyre was up over some wet leaves/crap by the side of the road too.

I'm thinking either my ABS is a bit dicky, or all 306s are like that? I've never felt similar when driving all manor of other cars in similar conditions?
Thanks given by:
Just let off and re-apply if it does that.
Don't think mines that bad.
Worst I had was a fabia, and every damn drain, man hole cover, banana skin, it would kick the abs on. A quick foot on the brake sorts it easily though.

Also, try cleaning the abs rings and sensors. Rears are easily got to. Haven't looked at the fronts before, so don't know.
Thanks given by:
Are you running Chinese ditchfinders or something?

That's certainly not "normal" for the 306 ABS to trigger so easily, suggesting that it's triggering because you have little grip and are bordering on locking a wheel. Understandable on wet manhole covers and the like, but you really shouldn't be trigging it on the anti-skid surface that you talk about!

If it's a HDi Estate as per your profile then it's not like it'll have a rear brake compensator that could be seized open as it should have the later type ABS with EBD.

For comparison, I almost never trigger the ABS on either of my 306 HDi's - snow and ice excluded, obviously.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Decent Rainsport 2's with decent disks and pads too.
It's not all the time in the wet, it's over those broken or very rutted road surfaces, and not all the time but when pushed a bit harder than normal.
Wherever I was yesterday they had that yellow tarmac (just yellow gravel over the top really) but it was in very poor condition and the surface was breaking up, ABS kicked in over that.

Just I've never had ABS kick in just from the wet on any other car ever it surprised me. But perhaps that comes from being more comfortable in my car and pushing it a bit harder?
Thanks given by:
I had this a lot when running 50 profiles on the front and 55 profiles on the rear. That was all I could attribute it to anyway because since changing it has been much better! Although I don't know enough about the system to know if that would be the cause...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I would hypothesise you have a reluctor ring playing up. Time to check the fronts are healthy.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
What phase is it?

It could be your rear abs spring playing up if you have lowered the car
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by: