Unlocked ECUs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unlocked ECUs
What experience to people have with these.

I need to obtain an unlocked ECU, and am looking at a 'soft' unlocked one. The type where it is unplugged with the engine running.

I hear some stories of them randomly locking again, leaving the car useless. Is this a myth, or has anyone experienced this?

Cheers
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
there are some posts on the 6 forum reporting the ecu's lock again
check out rich over their he was selling propper unlocked ecus under £100 each
Thanks given by:
Have a look at cartechelectronis website they have ecus that are unlocked or you can send yours to them.
I did with my old hdi cost me £50 plus postage. I got it back within 3 days.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If you connect a soft unlocked ECU to a car that has the immobiliser wiring, BSI etc still in place and connected to the ECU then it will re-lock.

If you connect a soft unlocked ECU to a car without any of that then you'll be very unlucky if it ever re-locks in my opinion - apparently it's not unheard of, but 95% of 205/309 GTi-6 (along with S16, 2.0 Turbo etc) conversions will be done that way and I don't ever recall hearing about a single one re-locking itself over on the 205 forum.

So, IMO, a soft unplugged ECU on a 306 where the wiring for the immobiliser has been disconnected should be fine.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2014, 09:46 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: If you connect a soft unlocked ECU to a car that has the immobiliser wiring, BSI etc still in place and connected to the ECU then it will re-lock.

If you connect a soft unlocked ECU to a car without any of that then you'll be very unlucky if it ever re-locks in my opinion - apparently it's not unheard of, but 95% of 205/309 GTi-6 (along with S16, 2.0 Turbo etc) conversions will be done that way and I don't ever recall hearing about a single one re-locking itself over on the 205 forum.

So, IMO, a soft unplugged ECU on a 306 where the wiring for the immobiliser has been disconnected should be fine.

So if I were to remove all the black boxes of crap (its a PH2 with half under the dash and half in the rear quarter) then all should be fine?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
If should, but I'd personally just remove the wiring from the pins on the ECU plug / round engine bay plug.

I think (and I'm going by memory here as I don't have any of my wiring notes here at work) that all the immobiliser related wires go through the smaller of the two round engine bay plugs, although as said that's from memory and it's possible that I'm thinking of Xsara VTS looms. Certainly all the wires that you need to make the engine run, the dash gauges/lights to work and the DL16 diagnostics connector are on the larger round plug as I've kept this when I did the wiring on my 205 GTi-6.

If you want to be completely sure then pay someone to completely remove the immobiliser, but certainly I'm confident enough in soft unlocked ECU's to run them on my own 205 and other friends and cars that I've converted run the same way without issue.

Other option if it's a 306 is just to buy an ECU with the matching key and immobiliser/BSI gubbins of course and have it running as Peugeot intended.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
the bit in the rear quarter is just the cl relay IIRC, you'd only need to remove the transponder box from the bottom of the dash.
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2014, 10:07 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: If should, but I'd personally just remove the wiring from the pins on the ECU plug / round engine bay plug.

I think (and I'm going by memory here as I don't have any of my wiring notes here at work) that all the immobiliser related wires go through the smaller of the two round engine bay plugs, although as said that's from memory and it's possible that I'm thinking of Xsara VTS looms. Certainly all the wires that you need to make the engine run, the dash gauges/lights to work and the DL16 diagnostics connector are on the larger round plug as I've kept this when I did the wiring on my 205 GTi-6.

If you want to be completely sure then pay someone to completely remove the immobiliser, but certainly I'm confident enough in soft unlocked ECU's to run them on my own 205 and other friends and cars that I've converted run the same way without issue.

Other option if it's a 306 is just to buy an ECU with the matching key and immobiliser/BSI gubbins of course and have it running as Peugeot intended.

Thanks for the info. Problem is, I have an ECU and BSI in front of me. So if I can trouble someone to plug it into their car and let me soft unlock it, it saves me a fair few quid. Problem in, the BSI is PH3, im PH2. Doh

(07-05-2014, 10:07 AM)welshpug Wrote: the bit in the rear quarter is just the cl relay IIRC, you'd only need to remove the transponder box from the bottom of the dash.

I was thinking that. The bastard thing is unplugged anyway. Useless thing lol

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
not a bsi, just integrated CL - transponder unit for the HF central locking, the IR systems are separate control units.

HF - 6580 18 COMPARTMENT PROTECTION BRACKET CENTRAL LOCKING ECU

IR - 6160 47 ANTITHEFT KEY CONTROL HOUSING - ELECTRONIC ANTI-THEFT KEY UNTIL RPO 08210
6680 96 ALARM ELECTRONIC BOX - UNTIL RPO 08210
Thanks given by:
On the 6 site theres a guide to soft unlocking then opening up the ecu and cutting 2 pins inside for the immobiliser iv done this 3/4 times without an issue but unfortunatly cant remember the pins Sad
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  unlocked ecu ayton autosport 2 1,245 28-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Last Post: mossy1985