Outer door handle repairs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer door handle repairs
My door handle broke off in my hand this morning trying to get in the car....admittedly not the best start to the day!

Are they easy to remove to fit a new one as superglue has failed me!
Looks like its riveted in

Sorry this went into the wrong sub cat
Thanks given by:
Yeah its riveted and a complete arse to change! Just buy another complete door if theres one local, its only 4 10mm bolts to change and takes 10 minutes.

Compared the hours you'll pend trying to drill off your handle lol.
Thanks given by:
i fixed the door handles on mine as they were seized and wouldn't latch (had to thump them closed)

the rivet was just a blank end of a bolt on mine, get to it from inside the door, and with a bit of wiggling they do come out
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
bolted on phase 1 and rivotted later phase 2 onwards i think, it is a little awkward but i managed to change mine, may have used a bfh at some point though lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Yours is a phase 1 though John?

They're riveted on on the phase 3's... Dodgy
Thanks given by:
[attachment=15828]

Take it off complete? This ones off a ph2.
Thanks given by:
Imo drill it out, get a new handle and get nuts and bolts to hold the new handle on, then if the handle breaks again you wont be after a new door every time. Plus if you have like elec mirrors and stuff in your current car and you end up with a pov spec door you'd may have to swap the loom to keep them all working

Matt is right, my 98 P2 Sedan has bolted handles and my 99 P2 Dturbo has riveted handles
Thanks given by:
Cheers for all the advice, i am gonna try and drill it out first before considering a new door... It seems so extreme to change a whole door for the sake of a handle lol
Thanks given by:
lol tom i only have experience with ph1's, nice to know though, just incase i ever get a ph3... make sure the handles work...lol

- what dumbass at peugeot thought of rivets instead of bolts?
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
Phase 2s are but and bolt. And I had to do this after being locked out of my car.

Surprising easy to break into if you know what to do.
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2014, 01:54 PM)JoelInman Wrote: Cheers for all the advice, i am gonna try and drill it out first before considering a new door... It seems so extreme to change a whole door for the sake of a handle lol

Extreme to change a £20 door in 10 minutes rather than a £10 handle in over 2 hours? Each to their own I guess. After removing one with rivets, I'd just change the whole door next time!

Werent many ph3s without electric mirrors and windows either, so don't have to swap looms.

(29-04-2014, 02:19 PM)John1.4 Wrote: lol tom i only have experience with ph1's, nice to know though, just incase i ever get a ph3... make sure the handles work...lol

- what dumbass at peugeot thought of rivets instead of bolts?

The handles often snap on ph3s, I guess that's the same all phases though! Rivets are cheap and quick tbh, like the side skirts with 20 damn rivets!
Thanks given by:
Fetch it to me mate if your struggling no need to change the door Smile
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2014, 04:01 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: Phase 2s are but and bolt. And I had to do this after being locked out of my car.

my phase 2.5 T reg is rivotted Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
£20 for a new door! I was expecting to be double that at the very least lol.
Thanks Danny, will see if i can source a door handle from local scrappers cheap first before i try removing it and re-fitting. Need to check my finances Big Grin
If i have trouble, ill take you up on that.
Thanks given by:
I've got a few what colour is yours? I have a blue and black one Smile

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Looks silver or moonstone in the dp.

And tbh £20 is a negotiating price for a door. I often end up dumping them at the tip after a few weeks of trying to give them away lol...
Thanks given by:
I always need doors but there never around! this is why lol
Thanks given by:
Mines silver danny
Thanks given by:
Colours not an issue ...i currently have a piece of string as a door handle. I can spray it at a later date Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I'll send you a private message mate

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2014, 04:01 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: Phase 2s are but and bolt. And I had to do this after being locked out of my car.

Smash the window?
Thanks given by:
All fixed now thanks to Danny, car looking sexy now with one red door handle....
Thanks given by:
The rivets are easy. If you struggle then your drills need sharpening or replacing...
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by: