software and other diagnostic related questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
software and other diagnostic related questions
right, whats best for diagnostic reading pugs? hear people taking about pp2000? where can i get it? whos willing to share? lol

currently have currently got proscan 5.9 and an lm327 cable, its enough to do fault reading and clearing but wont do the live data i want. any suggestions anyone?

next on the agenda is mapping, i understand i need to contact this "mr whippy" chap for a map, but which software is better? i have both kwp2000 and galletto 1260 but which is the easiest to do the map swap with?

thanks for your patience Tongue
Thanks given by:
elm327 can prove a bugger to get working. I personally have a snapon ethos scanner £700, this does Live data and everything else you can think of!. You can pickup cheap fault code scanners from 'sealey'

If you have a good enough Mobile phone, then look into a bluetooth OBDII reader.

I use a kwp2000 to map my customers cars, once they've supplied a map, from Mr Whippy, Pro Steve or TB205 Smile
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
Yeah, scanners range in quality and features.

I have a PP2000 which is really good, but it is limited what you can do with the data, and it only works on Peugeot. £120 ish from Hong Kong Big Grin

I have an ELM327 which works on everything in a basic sense, but with PCMScan you can do some really powerful logging and scripting (I've got some really nice MAF calculations and logging for the HDi's, which I find invaluable)
£80 for PCMScan and about £30 for the ELM327.

Then you have the snapon loggers etc, which are also very good, cover loads of cars, but also cost a lot.

At a push I'd try 'find' a copy of PCMScan, but if you want to use it to do anything serious it really is worth the money in my view, for ANY car, it'll also work with the ELM327...

A PP2000 might be perfect if you are willing to spend some cash, and when you sell the car just sell the tool on.

I've got the 'proper' manufacturer tool for each car I have, but they are just clone tools etc, and usually cost about £100-£150 for ones worth buying.

I also think KWP2000 is the best tool for HDi... I have a few different tools, even trialled a 'legitimate' new fancy modern tool, but I couldn't see the point. The KWP2000 just does the job perfectly well, I keep going back to it.

All those Gallettos have such crappy translations too, perfect to confuse you and make you do something wrong. I can't believe they charged £1,500+ for those new to actual tuners with such shoddy translations haha!

Dave
Thanks given by:
thank you MR Whippy! thats exactly what i needed to know, as far as kwp2000 goes i cant get it to connect to my car, no kick found, i think its something to do with the elm327 interface im using of even how im using it, both versions i have give the same no kick found error? running 7 home premium with what i beleive to be the correct drivers installed? any help on that would be fantastic!

thanks chaps
Thanks given by:
Rebellious Wrote:thank you MR Whippy! thats exactly what i needed to know, as far as kwp2000 goes i cant get it to connect to my car, no kick found, i think its something to do with the elm327 interface im using of even how im using it, both versions i have give the same no kick found error? running 7 home premium with what i beleive to be the correct drivers installed? any help on that would be fantastic!

thanks chaps

If you're trying to use an ELM 327 with KWP2000 software then that's where your problem is.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I use ELM327 and KWP2000.

It's the FTDI drivers that power both interfaces though, I'm fairly sure.

I could provide the drivers I have used to see if they help, but I use XP on my laptop, so the drivers probably won't work in Win7 natively.
Perhaps running in compatibility mode for XP from Win7 will make it work? Not sure though...

Dual boot might be an option too?!

Really, tuners and tuner co's should start writing all their kit for Linux, perhaps a pared down installation. There really is no need to have a whole bloated OS like Win7 running on a laptop that is there merely to run software to essentially provide a 512kb (in our case) file to a little device Big Grin

Cheers

Dave
Thanks given by:
Mr Whippy Wrote:I use ELM327 and KWP2000.

It's the FTDI drivers that power both interfaces though, I'm fairly sure.

I could provide the drivers I have used to see if they help, but I use XP on my laptop, so the drivers probably won't work in Win7 natively.
Perhaps running in compatibility mode for XP from Win7 will make it work? Not sure though...

Dual boot might be an option too?!

Really, tuners and tuner co's should start writing all their kit for Linux, perhaps a pared down installation. There really is no need to have a whole bloated OS like Win7 running on a laptop that is there merely to run software to essentially provide a 512kb (in our case) file to a little device Big Grin

Cheers

Dave

Thanks dave, il be intouch about them drivers then, (i do have an ftdi driver interface thingy installed and it recognizes the cable coms port but wont communicate beyond), im currently on with sourcing another laptop anyway, ran duelboot on my laptop previous to this one, it never quite ran right after that but it was a vista clone with an xp clone lol

big thanks for your help Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Vista, uhhh Big Grin

XP and Win 7 would be a good combo.

Or, to make it even more robust, have a second HDD. Just swap it to your 'car' HDD (XP, diagnostic software, bare bone bloatware etc), and your Win 7 HDD for bloating up with whatever you want.

Not sure how much you might get a HDD for but it's probably cheaper than a whole other laptop!?

The difficulty in time is gonna be getting drivers for XP for newer hardware laptops... Sad

Hmmm

Dave
Thanks given by:
main reason for getting another laptop was our lass goes nuts when she cant play her bloody facebook games which did my head in muchly.
anyway laptop sourced, running genuine xp, finally managed to get the cable set up and talking to my programs, got pp comming down now, only problem ive got is after trying a few different versions of kwp2000 none of them seem to work, i think its down to the drivers in fairness.

any thaughts?
Thanks given by:
kwp2000 and kwp2000+ software is different and wont work on each others cable Wink
Thanks given by:
There is the driver for the usb > serial, then there is the driver for the device...

I'm sure as Cully says the KWP2000 driver won't work on a KWP2000+

It'd be like trying to run a Galletto with KWP2000 drivers (well not that bad but it is a different device sooooo).

Dave
Thanks given by:
Did you get this to work? I'm in the same position, spent all morning trying to get it to connect, with no avail.
Thanks given by:
ive got an OBDII blutooth adapter with my phone... presume it wont connect because i have a 1.8 which is different? :/
Thanks given by:
pugbug Wrote:Did you get this to work? I'm in the same position, spent all morning trying to get it to connect, with no avail.

nope fault code reading and clearing i can do on mine but thats it, live data still a problem, which is the bit i want. their is no easy or cheap way around as i have learnt, the best answer is buy a cheap lexia cable still about £80 ish tho
Thanks given by:
Still no joy with using the ELM327 and connecting with ProScan for logging/live data?

I'd just got with PP/Lexia as you have noted.

ELM327 is good for generic OBD though, I've used PCMScan and my ELM327 on my Z4, Citroen C4, Ford ST TDCi Mondeo, 306's, Ford Cougar etc etc... all worked nicely.

But you can't beat having per-manufacturer diagnostic tools to get access to all the things you need!

Dave
Thanks given by:
I bought a china cloned autocom last year just to see what it was like Smile
Its a great piece of kit but clones are disappearing fast....
Thanks given by:
Not heard of Autcom before, hmmmm. Goes to have a read Big Grin

Dave
Thanks given by:
i bought a clone elm327 silverbox thing, it was tempremental at connecting to the HDI, almost dependant on the wind direction if it did or did not connect.
ended up buying a clone lexia from ebay works a treat! live data/all Ecu fault diag inc airbag,aircon,abs,engine,bsi have even managed to program peoples keys for them

worth the investment if you have a HDi in my opinion
Thanks given by:
Programming keys for the BSI is handy... how modern a car have you tried though? Or just stuck to other EDC15 ECU stuff?

Cheers

Dave
Thanks given by:
only used it on my 306 and the wifes 206 EDC15
Thanks given by:
Cool, good to know you've used it and it works though!

PP really is well worth getting now at the price it is. When I started off with the 306 HDi remapping etc a PP was about £600-£800, and they didn't look like great clones either... maybe £900-£1000 for a 'nice' looking one.

Now they are down at about £80 they really are a bargain buy considering you can do anything Peugeot could do to the car...!

Cheers

Dave
Thanks given by:
PP is great. If you check out the guides section, I've done a guide on using it (which I need to finish!)
The eBay clones are very well built and had never skipped a beat...and I use mine a lot!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I can't remember where I got mine now, but it wasn't eBay... it's really nicely made though. It feels like OEM build. Probably the factory that makes the OEM's just running off an extra few every day and selling them on the side hehe...

Yeah I've had a few reads of your guide, really nice work Niall. There are so many different functions to the PP... half the problem is knowing what you want to do with it hehe... you'd need hundreds of guides to cover everything I bet Big Grin

Dave
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:ive got an OBDII blutooth adapter with my phone... presume it wont connect because i have a 1.8 which is different? :/

did this work? i was thinking of getting one of these
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hdi mapping software/vnt ecu control Chris306 14 3,768 06-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Ruan
  MPPS V13.02 Software? Ricky 2 1,300 17-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Ricky
  URGENT: injector related JamesG 13 4,053 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Last Post: callumcull