what mpg are you getting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what mpg are you getting
Right I was looking through some threads and it seams some of you get silly mpg one said 700 miles to a tank thats crazy! !! Ive just got 500 to my last tank on a stage 1 map and now im stage 1+ so expect that to go down a bit however I still think thats pretty good so how are people getting 700 to a tank or is it just a lucky few lol
Thanks given by:
I get 450 but I drive spiritedly. I have had a tad over 550 before at 60 everywhere though on a run.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
By driving the car properly.

I get 750 miles from a tank just going to and from work, three quarters motorway and a quarter town.

I forgot to add my cars done over 300k miles, on a stage 1 Prosteve map, serviced and well looked after.
Thanks given by:
In theory its possible.
I think you're a fool though if you run with a full tank. Its like having a dead passenger in the boot all day. Losing MPGs right there.

I get 45mpg all day spirited B roads mostly round here.
Can get 60mpg on a run so 650miles easily possible
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You cant work out mpg accurately without a full tank though. Confused

It only adds to the fuel consumption getting up to speed anyway, once you're moving it wont be any different, infact it gives you a bit more coasting momentum so what you lose pulling away you save coasting (in gear) towards junctions etc. I find I use more fuel sticking in a tenner at a time but I think that's placebo lol.

Anyway, on the 273k HDi with no power I'm averaging 54mpg, driving like a cock tbh. Tongue
Thanks given by:
If you put in a certain amount (volume) in every time you can accurately measure it. I always put in 40 litres every time I get fuel then over a few stops you can get an average.

It's only when you put in to a certain value of fuel in the calacs get shit.
Thanks given by:
But how do you know when that 40 litres has been used? Surely you cant possibly know? You can guess by the red light but that's not really accurate. It seems to last about 60 miles on and off lol.

The only accurate way is to fill to the click, count the miles and fill to the click again - then you get the exact amount of litres and the exact miles. I cant see any other way?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that is the best way but that is a lot of fuel to carry as said above.

The way I do it, it still comes out in the wash over the average over a few stops, It works very well over the same repeated trips.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, it's not perfectly accurate enough for me though haha. lol

I see what you mean, but it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference to mine so I'll keep filling to the click. Smile
Thanks given by:
Ive tried driving properly as you say and I still cant get anywhere near 700 miles to a tank and my car is well maintained
Thanks given by:
'Filling to the click' imo is just as accurate as when the red light first appears.
As depending on the pump used, it could click 1-2litres difference.

And you will notice the difference of an extra 30kg or so easily...esp as the most difference in fuel saving is made during the acceleration phase
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-04-2014, 10:01 PM)tuttyboy84 Wrote: Ive tried driving properly as you say and I still cant get anywhere near 700 miles to a tank and my car is well maintained

It might be now, but its probably been neglected at some point in its life...

Also what age is it? The newer ones (X reg on) should be more economical due to some changes to get them in a low emission tax band. It'll be interesting to see if my mpg drops going from a newer one to an older one soon...

(20-04-2014, 10:04 PM)Piggy Wrote: 'Filling to the click' imo is just as accurate as when the red light first appears.
As depending on the pump used, it could click 1-2litres difference.

And you will notice the difference of an extra 30kg or so easily...esp as the most difference in fuel saving is made during the acceleration phase

I use the same pump, at the same station everytime.... Yes I'm anal about this. Tongue
Thanks given by:
700miles to a tank with a hdi on long runs should easily be possible SURELY?!

Carrying any excess weight? Checked tyre pressures and brakes?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-04-2014, 10:01 PM)tuttyboy84 Wrote: Ive tried driving properly as you say and I still cant get anywhere near 700 miles to a tank and my car is well maintained

Is it mainly town driving you do?

I would check your brakes aren't binding at all. Mine started to drag ever so slightly and that killed my economy.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I've had over 700 miles to a tank several times now, I'm gutted if I get less than 600 tbh, only thing that does it are short journeys around town. I have the advantage of having owned and maintained it for 5 years now though,so I know its been looked after.

That's a Y reg stage 1 on 117k BTW.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
I do town and b road driving mainly and ive owned the car 28 months and before I got it she wanted for nothing a service history like ive never seen lol must just be my lead foot I suppose

Oh and its a y plate
Thanks given by:
And the brakes are definitely not binding I think it must be a combination of short journeys shit traffic and my driving style, im going on a holiday to wales in the summer so I an see how shes does then as that will be a 400 mile trip on motorways ut I reslly cant see me getting over 50 mpg
Thanks given by:
Living in a rural area I have to drive some distance. On a recent run I was able to get around 54mpg. It's only when farting around town, or hitting myriads of traffic lights it drastically goes down.

When the osr calliper was binding the car performed even more like a dog than it usually does, the MPG dropped.
Thanks given by:
B roads and traffic are not the place for high mpgs to be honest
You should easily see over 55mpg on a motorway run unless you doing silly speeds
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Dropping the speed on the motorway from 80 to 70 nets me the best part of another 10mpg on a run. It's mostly down to driving style and vehicle condition - mine doesn't even warm up doing the daily commute, yet i still manage to average nearly 50mpg.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
For ages I had a f*cked thermostat and once I fixed it my mpg went up a lot but when I was checking to see if the new one worked I was amazed at how long it took to open iirc it was 20 mins of driving it to get it to open, the funny thing is im not moaning about my mpg infact I think its good I was just amazed at what can be achived from these cars
Thanks given by:
25mpg..
Thanks given by:
My 405 estate xud TD usually average around 50mpg. Did do an economy run not long back doing 60mph and got 64mpg! Was well chuffed
Thanks given by:
With my weekly commute to work I can only manage an average of 27-34mpg in my hdi, motorway runs though it will happily hit 60mpg according to the scan gauge, so 700 miles from a tank is achievable.

Not bad for 195k engine
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
To make all you guys feel awesome, I've just worked out my last tank in the Merc properly, all town driving except for one 150 mile round trip to Whitby taking it easy all the way, I have averaged 28mpg...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
My 306 hdi does 60mpg on A roads and more on motorways.

I will get 860 miles on A roads and more on motorways.

I have a lot of people who want to buy my car I can understand why now.
Thanks given by:
I get 750 to 60l normally on my hdi stage 1 proSteve. My driving consists mainly of 50-70mph driving with a few traffic light stops on country B roads and narrow single a roads. Some city driving once I'm in the city. Achievable quite easily. Mines on 180+k not that well on intervals for service. Average 140miles a day. My driving isn't over the top hooning as the road doesn't always allow but I will open her up where possible.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
I can get 100-120 miles to a tenner of diesel, I was told the car was mapped when I got it but its so slow I don't think it is lol
Thanks given by:
got 57.7mpg on a 280 mile round trip in a standard hdi with a fuel leak...
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2014, 11:41 AM)my-first-306 Wrote: I can get 100-120 miles to a tenner of diesel, I was told the car was mapped when I got it but its so slow I don't think it is lol

Dead maf or blocked airfilter.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: