Cambelt Change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambelt Change
Is there anyone local to Spalding in Lincolnshire that has ever done this?

All my vehicles have been chain driven upto know so just unsure on attempting it on my own as its not my car..

The lad that had my old black hdi off me has a rubbing belt, the idle pulley is rubbing on the plate (if that makes sense to people)

This is not right so want sort it so he doesnt ruin the engine as he drives 100 or so miles a night for work and is borrowing one of my cars know i have had chance see his car...

Anyone who can help or give me a rough idea are welcome to beer tokens..

I have been looking through haynes manual and online but just want to be safe than sorry Smile

Thanks all

Dan
Thanks given by:
Vid on youtube of a 406 hdi cambelt change. Think its the same heres the link

http://youtu.be/k66VwGX4uGk

HDI D'Turbo Daily Driver ---- XUD D'Turbo Project
Thanks given by:
looks the same, might give it a go on spare engine first lol
Thanks given by:
its really simple as cambelt changes go, esp as you dont need to time the pump, unlike the XUD
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
That vid is good, but doesn't show the crucial part of tensioning the belt lol!

As above though, its easy enough to do. I done my first cam belt on the HDi and was fairly straight forward tbh.

Funny thing with the pump, is if its had a belt done before, you'll almost always see timing marks painted on it....when it doesn't have to be timed. lol
Thanks given by:
yeah i found that out, video looks like it more or less explains it..

take it the gearbox plate, is where you lock it off then, not looked at car yet so excuse the fail..
Thanks given by:
No, you have to remove the starter to lock it off. There's a hole in the block for it. Theoretically you can do it with the starter in position, but you'll never find the hole if its your first time. Wink
Thanks given by:
Yes i know have take starter off, then i presume when its locked off on the cam it will line up to lock off at starter?

Yes its my first time how did you know Wink
Thanks given by:
Not necessarily... The cam can lock when the flywheel is still 180 degrees out iirc.
Thanks given by:
(22-04-2014, 09:22 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Not necessarily... The cam can lock when the flywheel is still 180 degrees out iirc.

Toms right
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
will have look into it more cant be that hard worst can happen is when i turn it over by hand it is out...
Thanks given by:
Its really not hard tbh, sounds daunting, but once you whip the covers off and have a look for yourself it's so easy.

Just remember to remove the cam locking pin before refitting all the covers. Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
(22-04-2014, 09:40 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Its really not hard tbh, sounds daunting, but once you whip the covers off and have a look for yourself it's so easy.

Just remember to remove the cam locking pin before refitting all the covers. Itwasntme

only you would forget this tom Tongue

well i will have look later in week hopefully dont cock it up, have alot to do before then...
Thanks given by:
Lucky I remembered before turning the key though...would've caused a mess otherwise lol.
Thanks given by:
Hardest part is the bastard covers.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noisy Engine After Cambelt Change tigerstyle 13 9,062 18-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Last Post: toseland
  Engine Management Light after Cambelt Change Alan_M 6 2,082 05-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Coolant change + cambelt help W1ll 32 7,235 09-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Piggy