Nearly charged 309 GLX Special Equipment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nearly charged 309 GLX Special Equipment
Hi guys, So after selling up my 306 and buying so!etching insanely crap on fuel, I've decided to go all efficient (for the moment anyways)

So here is my 1989 Peugeot 309 1.3 GLX Special equipment.. And what a peach she is! Done roughly 127721 miles ;-) and still drives lovely!

[Image: e8ydu3eg.jpg]
[Image: behasa5a.jpg]

Unfortunately it didn't come with the incredibly misleading 'alloy looking wheel covers' :-(

One of the first things I had to do was machine polish it as it looked like it had been dragged from the bottom of a never ending mud bath where it had been sat for 20 years!

[Image: apy5a4az.jpg]

[Image: tehe6yme.jpg]

(Polished up quiet well)

The interior is totally standard with the 'sport seats' and f*kin massive sunroof. Also has all the mod cons...like central locking....and well that's about it Smile

[Image: rety2a5y.jpg]

So there it is.

Plans for the near future are lower it and pop some 205 gti wheels on it with some new Uniroyal rainsport 3's (was a massive fan of the rainsport 2 so need to give these a try)
Also got a new rear light coming as the drivers one is cracked Sad

Oh...and of course a cheeky little engine swap!! :-)

So enjoy and please try not to mock my standard ride height. I promise it will be lowered soon...mainly due to getting a small amount of altitude sickness at the moment Wink
Thanks given by:
So much love for this.

Well played for getting a thread up dan Smile

Holla if you want somebody to muck in at any point Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Looks good

definitely need to gti6 this Big Grin
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
I'm guessing that's the old Talbot/Simca engine at that age rather than the later TU?

I reckon that Phase 1 non-GTi/diesel 309's must be getting pretty thin on the ground now!
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Yeah it's a right gem! No power steering isn't even the end of the world tbh Smile

I won't be GTI-6 ING this I'm afraid...its too common. Trust me I've got a good plan though!

Yes that's correct its pre tu. 1300 pushrod on a carb...simple motoring. They're definitely becoming rare though..which is kind of why I had to have it...that and it was cheap!
Thanks given by:
The only thing i would do to that is dye the bumpers black
Thanks given by:
Need to do something with them for sure...they've lost a lot of their colour Sad
Thanks given by:
Please not xud Angry
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
So is that the old PSA X "suitcase" engine? Sound like they're full of ball bearings at idle but proper howl at 7k on twin carbs!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Oooh 309 fwiend

Looks clean for the age, what engine you thinking about dropping in
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
My 309 was a 1.3. An xu engine uses the same mounts as the old talbot engines
Thanks given by:
I've no idea if its a 'suitcase' lol about the same size as one though!

Urm afraid I can't say as that will be revealing a secret! All I can say is it will be fun and sound good Wink
Thanks given by:
That's no fun Sad

Does yours have remote central locking?

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2014, 09:40 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: So is that the old PSA X "suitcase" engine? Sound like they're full of ball bearings at idle but proper howl at 7k on twin carbs!

No it's not the X series "suitcase" engine that was found in early 205's etc - it'll be the Simca "Poissy" derived G1A OHV lump.

[Image: 03092009049.jpg]

Looks something like that...
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
It does have remote locking yes. A biiiig sunroof which has some weird Air lock thing when you lock it.

That's the same as my engine! Smile a true sturdy trooper Wink
Thanks given by:
Yea I have the same sunroof there epic

Got a picture of the fob? Mine didn't come with one

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I'm sorry I misread that totally! I have central locking but no remote with the car Sad is your central locking deafeningly loud?
Thanks given by:
Ahh yea I have central locking should be remote but I'm missing the remote Sad

It's noticeable but wouldn't say it's reall loud

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I'll have to put up a sound clip of mine...tremendous Wink oww that's interesting! Is there somewhere I can get a fob and have it programmed?
Thanks given by:
Earlier Phase 1 cars didn't have remote central locking - they had a key based system.

High spec later Phase 2 cars did have remote central locking, but the fobs are missing on most cars these days and they fetch quite a premium for a matching fob and receiver in working condition. You can identify cars that originally had remote central locking by the black IR "dome" on the roof console next to the map reading light.

The original Phase 2 205/309 RCL fob looked like this - exactly the same as Phase 1 405's:

[Image: 6552p.jpg]

Central locking is fairly loud on 205/309's compared to newer cars but dying motors can be especially loud!

The proper factory fitted vacuum sunroofs are nice and I've got the same on my 205 GTi - far nicer than the aftermarket / dealer fit options.
Thanks given by:
That's what I'm thinking tried programming a 306 one but didn't work after a bit of research they have different fobs :/

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
The fobs and receivers are hard coded btw and you need a matched pair - you can't "program" them in the traditional sense like you can on 306's, although it is in the strictest sense possible to do if you're electronically minded.

I think I've worked out how to adapt the 306 IR central locking to work on a 205/309 - just not had chance to try it yet Smile
Thanks given by:
Ahh that's interesting to know. Do you lot know if they changed the positioning if the engine mounts on the body from phase 1 to 2?
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2014, 09:41 AM)floz123 Wrote: Ahh that's interesting to know. Do you lot know if they changed the positioning if the engine mounts on the body from phase 1 to 2?

I think that the engine mounts on the shell were the same on 309's throughout the years and so yours should take an XU or XUD (or anything else that mounts up the same way) without issue. Sam's comment above supports that.

Early 205's with the X-series "suitcase" engine had a different top engine mount position, but all 1988 onwards 205's are the same once they moved over to TU's.
Thanks given by:
Would love a Goodwood some day. Preferably with an S16 conversion too, just 'cos.

This looks a bit weak with those skinny wheels and negative offset, what plans do you have for it?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Aha that's brilliant thanks. From what I can work out the GTI or phase 2 runs a different front suspension. Wishbones instead of the old fashioned TCA's.

Oww yes I'd love a goodwood but they are few and far between...and costly!

Plans are, lower it on 205 gti wheels for the moment till I find something special. Probably space them too as I've got a feeling they will be too tucked Sad then an engine transplant... But that's a secret for the moment :-)
Thanks given by:
Mines a grdt ph2 309 does have remote locking it does have the dome if you do manage to do it let me know

If not I'll buy a aftermarket alarm

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2014, 12:13 PM)floz123 Wrote: Aha that's brilliant thanks. From what I can work out the GTI or phase 2 runs a different front suspension. Wishbones instead of the old fashioned TCA's.

GTi and TD models used wishbones, base models used TCA's.

It's not an age/phase related thing.
Thanks given by:
Hmm...that's annoying. Can they be swapped?
Thanks given by:
Yes. You'll need the subframe, wishbones, droplinks and dampers.

Only the wishbones are 309 specific. The other bits are shared fitment with 205 GTI/TD models.

You'll probably need to changed over the gear linkage bits on the subframe with your existing ones to use your current engine/gearbox combo (I've not looked in detail at the Simca engined ones) as you need to do this with TU's.

Obviously if your new engine is XU/BE based (or compatible) then the gear linkage bits on the GTi/TD subframe will be fine but you'd need the other associated bits like rods and linkages to make it work.

I'm not sure on the base models whether the brake line tab needs to be moved or not on 309's as I've only ever owned GTi and Goodwood models myself - it does on some 205's.
Thanks given by: