306 gti manifold

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 gti manifold
Hi there, greetings from Denmark Tongue

I have a 1999 Pug 306 Roland Garros i'm very happy to own it, but it just need a bit more power so i bought a Gti manifold from a scrapped 306 and i want to fit it on my car. For some reason i can't get to the old dirty and rusty manifold. I need some help, what can i do? Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Ok
what is it gti,xsi,s16?
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(14-04-2014, 05:44 PM)7057sam Wrote: Ok
what is it gti,xsi,s16?

Do you mean the car or the manifold? The car has a 1.8 16v engine and the manifold is from a 306 gti 6.
Thanks given by:
There is a guide in here somewhere. You say rusty manifold, the 1.8 should be plastic?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
The exhaust manifold I assume he means. The 1.8 XU7JP4 standard exhaust manifold wasn't built with performance in mind, it's just an unequal-length manifold designed to take up as little space as possible - and yes, they will corrode.

I believe you're looking at a few bolts and some which are studs in the head.

It's also worth noting that your standard exhaust system won't marry-up, since the GTi6 exhaust manifold is physically bigger / longer and reaches further back than the 1.8. Your current one will be too long.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Hahha that would make more sense! Didn't even think
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2014, 09:44 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: The exhaust manifold I assume he means. The 1.8 XU7JP4 standard exhaust manifold wasn't built with performance in mind, it's just an unequal-length manifold designed to take up as little space as possible - and yes, they will corrode.

I believe you're looking at a few bolts and some which are studs in the head.

It's also worth noting that your standard exhaust system won't marry-up, since the GTi6 exhaust manifold is physically bigger / longer and reaches further back than the 1.8. Your current one will be too long.

Yeah i mean the gti 6 exhaust manifold sorry.. I have tryed to see about if the manifold will fit straight over but it's too long in the end pipe, and omg (Dodgy) there's no space at all to get the original manifold out. How can i get to the manifold? I've already got a sebring backbox on the car, removed the spare tire and stuck a K&N panel filter in the airbox (I lose a lot of pulling power by a big air filter), what else can i do to upgrade my 306 ? Smile
Thanks given by:
Gti6 intake manifold
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sounds difficult, what about the ecu? My old 306 1.4 burnt the cat inside because the ecu was overfuelling the engine..
Thanks given by:
The Sagem ECU doesn't really like the GTI inlet manifold. What you end up with is much greater throttle response but I've had 2 1.8s and neither ran properly with the GTi6 bits because the ECU was holding it back. The second one I had even had GTi6 cams in it, but still didn't work properly.

The exhaust manifold does make a marked difference in noise and there are possible gains higher up the revband, but looking back it really isn't worth the effort unless you go all-out.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2014, 08:07 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: The Sagem ECU doesn't really like the GTI inlet manifold. What you end up with is much greater throttle response but I've had 2 1.8s and neither ran properly with the GTi6 bits because the ECU was holding it back. The second one I had even had GTi6 cams in it, but still didn't work properly.

The exhaust manifold does make a marked difference in noise and there are possible gains higher up the revband, but looking back it really isn't worth the effort unless you go all-out.

I don't want to fit a gti induction manifold then, i decided just to fit the gti 6 exhaust manifold to my car, i'm just stuck on how i get the old manifold off. Does the subframe need to be loosen or must the engine mounts need to be removed to push the engine forward?
Thanks given by:
Both of those techniques work.

Rotating the engine forward is 'easier' if you don't have the facility to raise the car up nice and high and drop the subframe down. You need to be very careful though, because from memory when you rock the engine forward it gets very close to the radiator. Get a block of wood between there to brace the engine against the slam panel rather than the more delicate radiator.

And yes, it's still very, very tight and you will have a lot of fun loosening those nuts. It was recommended to me that you run the car for a while to heat the manifold up, but in the end I took mine to a mate who had a ramp in his garage and did most of the work for me!
Thanks given by:
'6 intake manifold is easy to fit, I've got one sat here if you want it? All sensors and throttle body sat around.

It's a bonus and most say that on the 1.8 it makes a difference, I've never had one so no idea, just fit the manifold, and do an ecu reset, by leaving battery disconnected for like 30mins

The exhaust manifold, to do it you are gunna need a gti cat/decat too as the 1.8 is too long, easy way to gain acsess is too take the engine off the top engine mount and tilt the engine forward (after disconnecting the cat) it will give you more room to get to it.

You may have to get a heat shield or wrap the manifold as the water pipes nearly touch it iirc
Thanks given by:
Matt brings up a good point actually that's very easy to forget. The water pipes on the 1.8 are a different shape to those on a GTi6 and actually touch the manifold. There are a few solutions, you could fit GTi6 water pipes (bit of a PITA), you could cable-tie the heater pipes away from the manifold (surprisingly effective!) Or heat-wrap the heater pipes.

The GTi6 also has a piece of tinfoil (ok, it's a heatshield) protecting the brake lines / bulkhead from the manifold heat.
Thanks given by:
Thanks mates, i haven't tryed remove a subframe before so will try undo the engine mounts and get the engine forward to get to the manifold. I forgot that i have a Peformance chip from Celox (Ebay), does it harm the car if i install it?
Thanks given by:
Don't install that chip. They are shite. They just make the ecu over fuel.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by: