Glowplug Light Mod

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glowplug Light Mod
Back again with another glowplug related guide, damn, i need to find something more interesting to share! So as we all know the glowplug light comes on and then goes off and doesnt really show you anything, the glowplugs are still on after the light has gone out, whats the point. So im going to show you how to change that so when the plugs are on the light is on, and when they're off, the light is off. So first get your gloves on Smile

So outside, under the bonnet, locate your glowplug relay, its got a multi plug and few heavy duty wires on it.

[Image: 20140412_150255_zpsmuk7wxsw.jpg]

Oh there it is.

Now you need to identify the wire that goes to the light in the dash. So get your meter out, put one probe on the negative battery terminal...

[Image: 20140412_150633_zpsquvvrucg.jpg]

And the other one in the back of that multiplug...

[Image: 20140412_150640_zpsk6lzjduk.jpg]

Then set up the meter so you can see it from the drivers seat...

[Image: 20140412_150508_zpsu0ns1nse.jpg]

Turn on the ignition try and watch the light and the meter, the correct wire will have 12/11volts with the light on and 0-ish volts with the light off, on my car it was the YELLOW wire, but then again i have a 205 so it might well be different in the 306's.

Once you have located your wire, cut it and put a ring terminal on the end...

[Image: 20140412_151726_zpsj88gnght.jpg]

Then you need to go back with you're meter and test the 2 bigger terminals at the other end of the relay box, one of those wires go to the glowplug rail and the other goes somewhere else lol. Obviously it should 12volts with ignition on and it should drop off to 0volts when you hear the relay click off (need to be somewhere reasonably quiet to do that) On my car it was the one nearest the multiplug, again it might be different on yours. So i put my ring terminal on there...

[Image: 20140412_151934_zpsgzd6juvk.jpg]

Remount the relay box then your good to go. All done. Probably half hour start to finish for the average diy'er doing it for the first time?
Credit for pictures and guide goes to me, credits for the actual idea goes to Darren (darrenjlobb)

Feel free to rep if you like this or it has helped you, or just for no reason i could do with the numbers lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
This was bugging me this morning! Only problem is I have the Bosch setup not yours.
But nice one for the idea
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2014, 03:45 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: This was bugging me this morning! Only problem is I have the Bosch setup not yours.
But nice one for the idea

Would of thought the procedure is similar/the same...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
does anyone know how to wire up a switch to the relay so you can leave them on for a longer controlled amount of time ?
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2014, 09:39 AM)kelvsere Wrote: does anyone know how to wire up a switch to the relay so you can leave them on for a longer controlled amount of time ?

A well running car i.e decent plugs well setup fuel pump/not dieing engine shouldnt need it...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Just to add if you're doing this to a Bosch relay, it's the same as tom's the yellow wire is the one you cut and it needs joining onto the middle (smaller) terminal of the 2 with red wires

[Image: 20140817_081158_zpsc6oe3huy.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Why not simply remove the wire that feeds the glowplug warning light from the block connector and fit it to the terminal for the feed to the plugs?
Thanks given by:
You say the plugs stay on after and I know they do but I always find it starts best ad soon as light goes out....
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
This is indeed what happens on my Daihatsu Fourtrak.
The light goes out a second or two before the relay clicks out, but then a second or so later the relay clicks back in again for a second or two. It does this about 4 - 5 times to improve running on initial start up from cold.
As for on my Pug Partner, I'm not sure if it does the same or not.
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2014, 10:43 AM)Alex Wrote: Why not simply remove the wire that feeds the glowplug warning light from the block connector and fit it to the terminal for the feed to the plugs?

Hmm why hasnt anyone thought to do that yet... Dodgy
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(25-11-2014, 02:27 PM)Tom Wrote:
(24-11-2014, 10:43 AM)Alex Wrote: Why not simply remove the wire that feeds the glowplug warning light from the block connector and fit it to the terminal for the feed to the plugs?

Because its more dufficult and requires extra wire that could potentially rub through

On a happier note just done this to my 306. Connector was diffrent but with a little help from autodata I figured it out. Nice easy simple mod. Highly recommended for veg runners Wink
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I don't get it.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2014, 01:56 PM)silverzx Wrote: I don't get it.
After the glow plug light on the dashboard goes out. The glowplugs themselves are still on for a pre determined amount of time. This mod allows the glow plug light to stay on for as long as the glowplugs do. Thus allowing the driver to see how long they are on. Which is more useful for veg people because you want as much heat as possible to start on cold morning.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2014, 02:11 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:
(04-12-2014, 01:56 PM)silverzx Wrote: I don't get it.
After the glow plug light on the dashboard goes out. The glowplugs themselves are still on for a pre determined amount of time. This mod allows the glow plug light to stay on for as long as the glowplugs do. Thus allowing the driver to see how long they are on. Which is more useful for veg people because you want as much heat as possible to start on cold morning.

I get that. Tongue

So long story short is find which wire goes to the dash light.

Find which of the two larger cables goes to glow plug rail.

Cut the dash light wire and connect it to the larger cable.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Thats the ticket Wink

Good idea if you ask me.
Thanks given by:
no need to mess with wiring, just listen for the click.

its called post heat, which is needed when sn idI engine is cold, though they do self cancel if you start driving.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Yeah but with my bangen tunes bruv I cnt hear tht sht.........
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2014, 01:42 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:
(25-11-2014, 02:27 PM)Tom Wrote:

Because its more dufficult and requires extra wire that could potentially rub through

On a happier note just done this to my 306. Connector was diffrent but with a little help from autodata I figured it out. Nice easy simple mod. Highly recommended for veg runners Wink
My sarcasm was obviously missed Blush
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yeah. Hard to get sarcasm over a forum. Good idea man thanks
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XUD Glowplug Replacement. Tom 3 2,450 07-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Last Post: r3k1355