Things to check on a modified Bosch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things to check on a modified Bosch
I've seen a pump on ebay for cheap. but doesnt come with injectors and lines.

I think he wants at least £50 for it.

However i've been speaking to some one who has a modifed pump with lines and injectors for about £70.

What would be the cheaper option?

What should i look out for on the modified pump?
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
Buy the complete setup it will save a lot of hassle
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
td_dan Wrote:Buy the complete setup it will save a lot of hassle
this . .^^^^^^ . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Mattcheese31 Wrote:
td_dan Wrote:Buy the complete setup it will save a lot of hassle
this . .^^^^^^ . .Smile

ok! lol

what should i be looking out for on the pump?

He said the gov mods been shimmed 0.5mm.

Thanks given by:
same one from the seller with godawful feedback?

^think that one has been updated to say it includes injectors and lines.
Thanks given by:
zx_volcane Wrote:same one from the seller with godawful feedback?

^think that one has been updated to say it includes injectors and lines.

No its another one not through ebay. Looked at it but i cant afford to pay more then £80 for the whole set up

Thanks given by:
A 0.5mm shim on the gov seems a bit.... little?
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
0.5mm shim on the gov? Thats not going to increase the fuel cut by a huge number of rpms tbh, and is that the only thing thats been modified? Either way, the complete setup is going to be cheaper / alot less hassle in the long run provided hes not screwed the pump up...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
enless he means 5mm
im not clued up on what a gov mod actally is

Thanks given by:
Ben Jay Wrote:enless he means 5mm
im not clued up on what a gov mod actally is

Join the club mate, I feel like such a noob when it comes to modding fuel pumps/turbos. Sad
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If I've understood it right, the governer stops fuel at a certain rpm to avoid engine damage (and fun....)....the gov mod allows it to keep fuelling so you get a bigger rev band. Someone correct me.if I'm wrong as I'm currently doing an assignment on VE systems. lol
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:If I've understood it right, the governer stops fuel at a certain rpm to avoid engine damage (and fun....)....the gov mod allows it to keep fuelling so you get a bigger rev band. Someone correct me.if I'm wrong as I'm currently doing an assignment on VE systems. lol

In principle, yes.

As engine rpm increases, centrifugal pressure is exerted against the governor. This then compresses the springs within the gov cradle, which in turn begins to limit the throughput of fuel within the pump..

When modifying the governor, a 'shim' is put into the main spring, which makes it much stiffer (some people even do solid). This means that when the same centrifugal pressure is applied at higher engine rpm, the governor resists this movement far more, and thus the fuelling is not decreased.

Why not just fit a stiffer spring instead of shimming the stock one I hear you say? Because finding one which would fit perfectly would be a pain.

There are other modifications which you can do to the governor assembly which Dan! and myself did to my pump, the credits of which I believe go to Dave (HA11). However these are top secret ninja
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
^... Most of which are probably available from vwdiesel.net or elsewhere..!

People wanting to mod boschs for dturds need to read outside of these 306 forums where this 'knowledge' is kept secretive.
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
Haha hardly secret, just some parts have more travel than others, which can be found in different pumps. But your right, the internet is full of other places where the VE is applicable, and give much better/in depth info on modding. Seek and ye shall find.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Dave Wrote:Haha hardly secret, just some parts have more travel than others, which can be found in different pumps. But your right, the internet is full of other places where the VE is applicable, and give much better/in depth info on modding. Seek and ye shall find.

Relatively secret/quiet is more apt i suppose Smile

I don't think it's a bad thing though, as i think it's important people learn how the pump works then apply mods knowing wtf they are actually doing and why.. rather than being told do x y z. More fun!
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
Yeh exactly Wink people should not be confined to this forum while learning how VE's work, if they do their research elsewhere, would realise that its not really secretive at all.... so its laziness in some ways...
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Right my pump arrived! Is there any thing I should do to it before I put it in the car? Any bits that should be serviced or looked at? Also Ill have to check what the gov mod actully is!

Thanks given by:
Any one?

Thanks given by:
Toby Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:If I've understood it right, the governer stops fuel at a certain rpm to avoid engine damage (and fun....)....the gov mod allows it to keep fuelling so you get a bigger rev band. Someone correct me.if I'm wrong as I'm currently doing an assignment on VE systems. lol

In principle, yes.

As engine rpm increases, centrifugal pressure is exerted against the governor. This then compresses the springs within the gov cradle, which in turn begins to limit the throughput of fuel within the pump..

When modifying the governor, a 'shim' is put into the main spring, which makes it much stiffer (some people even do solid). This means that when the same centrifugal pressure is applied at higher engine rpm, the governor resists this movement far more, and thus the fuelling is not decreased.

Why not just fit a stiffer spring instead of shimming the stock one I hear you say? Because finding one which would fit perfectly would be a pain.

There are other modifications which you can do to the governor assembly which Dan! and myself did to my pump, the credits of which I believe go to Dave (HA11). However these are top secret ninja
Was that the tranny throttle/gov arm and cradle and gov you used? Slightly bigger isn't it

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
[Image: sig-1.jpg]

106 Xud9 Conversion GtiD (2nd Engine Rebuild)
SOLD

Dan! Wrote:Want me to blow this one up for you aswel?
Thanks given by:
Just the transit cradle. Throttle arm and gov assembly wouldn't work/give any benefit from what I could see! Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are KCA 17S42 Bosch injectors rated at 175bar ok for my modified XUD? 399road 4 1,671 11-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Last Post: 399road