Just done the cambelt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just done the cambelt
Did the cambelt yesterday on my 2001 Hdi. When i bought the car 3 years ago it had just had the cambelt done. having done 98k since i bought it i thought i better do it, I replaced everything with genuine Peugeot items water pump as well.
The car now seems to go alot better, is this possible ? Or is it just me imagining it ?
It just seems to pull a lot better. The old belt did seem a lillte slack and the tensioner and pulley were worn but nothing major.

Cheers Titch
Thanks given by:
Think I made mine worse with a belt change, probably the opposite of whatever you did then haha.

But seriously, I don't think there's anything you can change doing it long as it's locked and tensioned properly so just placebo effect.
Thanks given by:
If it wasnt tensioned fully before them your timing may be a bit better, therefore give you a bit better running maybe.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
how did the bearings on the tensioners feel?
Could be a 1% improvement maybe Smile
Thanks given by:
Can't see it could have made a difference, I reckon this is placebo.

Only done one belt change on a DW8, but have been wondering if any of you bother to equalise the tension over the belt by loosening the pump and cam sprockets as the book describes? I remember watching darrens youtube vid and he doesn't seem to bother. Would a garage do this?

Also what do you use for belt tension, 90 degree twist?
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2014, 03:00 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: how did the bearings on the tensioners feel?
Could be a 1% improvement maybe Smile

they were quite noisey, and didn't feel very smooth.
I know that it must just be me imagining it, but it does feel better Huh
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2014, 03:12 PM)jamesgmg Wrote: Can't see it could have made a difference, I reckon this is placebo.

Only done one belt change on a DW8, but have been wondering if any of you bother to equalise the tension over the belt by loosening the pump and cam sprockets as the book describes? I remember watching darrens youtube vid and he doesn't seem to bother. Would a garage do this?

Also what do you use for belt tension, 90 degree twist?

This is a DW10 HDi, so pump doesn't need locking. And yes, I loosened the cam pulley.

For tension it was around 90 degrees, close as I could get it to the previous belt, assuming that to be correct. Peugeot use an electronic tool apparently.
Thanks given by:
Yeah i did mine to about 90 degrees to, the one that came off was slacker than that.
Thanks given by:
90 degrees is fine. With regards to loosening cam pulley bolts; it's not normally necessary, but if you're at a point where the belt wants to sit halfway between teeth then just do it to make life easier.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
if the pulleys are adjustable always adjust them, you never know if the last muppet made it too tight or too loose.

its about cam timing, old belt would have stretched and retarded the timing.
Thanks given by:
Need to get mine done asap
Thanks given by: