fuel filter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fuel filter
Im sure you all know how rubbish the hdi fuel filter housing is amd was woundering if anyone knew if I could use a metal bosch filter like the ford focus uses as then I wont have to worry about snapping plastic pipes
Thanks given by:
(31-03-2014, 07:29 PM)tuttyboy84 Wrote: Im sure you all know how rubbish the hdi fuel filter housing is amd was woundering if anyone knew if I could use a metal bosch filter like the ford focus uses as then I wont have to worry about snapping plastic pipes

I think you can use a inline filter. But if not I have a whole housing, can have it £20 posted.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
never had any problems on both my hdi's undoing the fuel filter housing, just take it easy undoing and make sure you unclip inlet & outlet pipes, that way they cant snap Wink
Thanks given by:
Always use a socket to open and close it. Dont just push on thd conections.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
They are crap.

So silly. Just like the 1.9dw8 filters...just rubbish.

What the hell was wrong with 4bolts like the xud one? Or a simple metal housing like other updated diesel cars.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I know there crap ive snapped one and my garage snapped one today so need to get a spare one from the breakers down the road juat wish I could use a metal one and be done with it
Thanks given by:
(31-03-2014, 08:47 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: Always use a socket to open and close it. Dont just push on thd conections.

This is what I do, push down on tge ratchet not the housing. Easy.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If your garage snapped one tell them to go down the road and get another one. They should know how to undo a bloody filter housing without snapping it.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I haven't snapped one so far, but is a daft housing....near impossible to get the lid back on! I know the spring washer gives a bit of resistance, but getting the lid square AND getting it in the right place for the pipes to line up is a right pain. I'd much prefer a VAG PD style metal one if that's possible as well!
Thanks given by:
Never had any problems that I can recall of, never broke anything unless I was trying to (scrappy)
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
It's when they've been mashed by a monkey that you get issues, they're not a bad design tbf. As long as you're careful they're fine.

Don't try and put an inline filter in, you'll end up with diesel everywhere and a dead HP pump lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I disagree mate I think there a very poor design as they are so brittle and peugeot wanted £100 pounds to replace it where are if the pipe where made of metal they just wouldn't snap or it the housing was held on with bolts or use a metal filter that ypu just change the hole unit anyway i was hoping someone on here would have tried one of the metal ones but looks like thats not the case
Thanks given by:
Tbf they are a bit delicate compared to most, never occured to me to swap it out for something else. Did you have something in mind? Would think something off one of the big vag, beemer or merc engines would be best for flow... They are a serious rip off from pug, can't argue with you there lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Can't say I've ever had an issue with it?! Socket on, twist, job done. Whoever has tried to undo it using the unions can't really blame the design!

VAG ones aren't that great either, my mates one requires a much bigger socket (not something you'd find in a typical socket set) almost the size of a hub nut, so you end up using an adjustable wrench...which isn't great...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I have had a 206, 307 and 2 306's never had an issue. Apart from on my old 306 when it was freezing copd and diesel inlet didnt click Tongue
Thanks given by:
Which VAG is that Chris?

Older PD engines use this filter...a butterfly clip and two pipe clips, so simple!

[Image: 1996_1.gif]

I find the problem is getting the HDi lid back on rather than off. Confused
Thanks given by:
I was thinking about a vag pd one as the pipes look the same however ive sorted it now and wont let any one but me do it from now

Yeah tje vag one looks very good just not sure if it would work
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2014, 07:35 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Which VAG is that Chris?

Older PD engines use this filter...a butterfly clip and two pipe clips, so simple!

[Image: 1996_1.gif]

I find the problem is getting the HDi lid back on rather than off. Confused

That looks like it could be a straight swap. However...

a) has anyone tried it?
b) is it a throwaway item and replace? or is there an element inside?
c) How much is it in comparison to a Peugeot replacement?

On a side note, it looks slimmer so would be a nice space save Smile
Thanks given by:
Nobody has tried it to my knowledge. It's a throwaway and replace unit. It's a couple of quid more than the standard item, but for something you're only replacing every thirty thou, do we really care?

My main concern would be flow, hence the comment about wanting one from a big engine. That said, I don't think the pds have lift pumps, so that one can't be very restrictive...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(02-04-2014, 01:03 PM)Poodle Wrote: Nobody has tried it to my knowledge. It's a throwaway and replace unit. It's a couple of quid more than the standard item, but for something you're only replacing every thirty thou, do we really care?

My main concern would be flow, hence the comment about wanting one from a big engine. That said, I don't think the pds have lift pumps, so that one can't be very restrictive...

As Poodle says really. Throw-away unit, obviously it costs more than just a paper element, but for the time and hassle saved I wouldn't mind paying the extra.

PDs do have lift pumps though, which feeds the tandem pump for the unit injectors.
Thanks given by:
I've ditched the original setup for an inline filter. Not ran the engine yet but I will probs use the Audi one as it seems a decent size.
Thanks given by:
Ah cheers Tom, wasn't sure on that.

What's the filtration on that uberderv? I thought the only one's really big enough were from petrols...?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Not checked but the original filter has a 5 micron rating so best try and find one which matches that.

Not bought owt yet so will try and find one with a similar filtration rating.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Filter pug306driver 8 2,749 25-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
  fuel filter housing changed jason68 6 2,446 08-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  fuel filter body removal pug306driver 9 2,436 07-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Paul_13