Smoke on boost

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoke on boost
I have what (to me) seems like a weird problem.

The car is smoking grey/black smoke quite heavily on boost, but is clear off. It seems to be the opposite of how it should be... If I plant it at low revs, it's clear, then it will smoke more and more.

It's running a gov modded Bosch with ground LDA, I've adjusted the fuel down and it's boosting up to a peak of 19psi and settling at 18. It pulls really well, it's just smoky. This is with both veg and diesel.

I've thought that the fueling needs turning down some more, but it already feels less lively and I keep thinking it would smoke off boost if that were the case.

Help appreciated.

Cheers
Thanks given by:
No bad noises from the turbo?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Nah, sounds sweet.
Thanks given by:
No boost leaks?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Nope, it's all just been put back together, new d-seal etc. Plus, I'm sure that would give me smoke off boost? Pulls strong too.
Thanks given by:
Its very odd mate. You say its just been put back togetheir...what work was done?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
This confuses me so much, pulls hard, peaks at 19psi it's got me baffled
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Replacement head, valve stem seals, all gaskets, Bosch conversion, aux tensioner... Other bits and bobs.
Thanks given by:
Sure its just not running too much fuel? You say its clean off boost, when are you planting it? What turbo?
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Starts ok from cold?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(30-03-2014, 08:13 PM)Anton Wrote: Sure its just not running too much fuel? You say its clean off boost, when are you planting it? What turbo?

When testing it, low down. Purposefully bogging it, where I would expect a cloud with the amount on boost, there's nothing. Like I say, it could be, but this has me confused. Plus the more I turn it down, the less responsive it feels.

(30-03-2014, 08:13 PM)Piggy Wrote: Starts ok from cold?

Yep, spot on.

I could play with the advance some more, but I did that when I got it running and it sounds sweet where it is. I'm pretty sure it's currently around 2/3rds advanced.
Thanks given by:
Id wind the fuel right back and see what happens.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Something to do with lda maybe?
Thanks given by:
LDA could be jamming...but boost should clear it at full chat
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I can try and wind it in some more, I just don't understand how it can be too much fuel when there's little to no smoke off boost? If it were too much fuel, surely it would smoke like a bitch off and try and clear up on? It's completely backwards, that's what's confusing me. It also makes it less responsive each time I've lowered the fueling too, which makes me hesitant to.

I thought about the LDA, but that shouldn't affect it when it's on boost...
Thanks given by:
You using an mbc? If you dont want to give it less fuel give it more air...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
No MBC, and wanting to keep things sensible and reliable. Oh and I forgot to say earlier, K14.
Thanks given by:
Curts got another 306??
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Just to clarify this was my pump (two owners ago)
I never had a problem and was clean on boost at 22psi on a t2.

Maybe get an mbc and up the boost a bit.
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(30-03-2014, 09:43 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: Curts got another 306??

No...

(30-03-2014, 09:46 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Just to clarify this was my pump (two owners ago)
I never had a problem and was clean on boost at 22psi on a t2.

Maybe get an mbc and up the boost a bit.

I don't really want to up the boost though... Just want to stop it from smoking.

I should be able to do that without adjusting the boost! I'll try winding the fuel in some more, but like I say, I don't get it as there should be more off boost.
Thanks given by:
Have you played around with the advance??
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(30-03-2014, 08:20 PM)Curt Wrote: I could play with the advance some more, but I did that when I got it running and it sounds sweet where it is. I'm pretty sure it's currently around 2/3rds advanced.
Thanks given by:
sounds like the lda dumping in too much fuel as it comes on boost

try winding back the main fuel screw see if it helps.
Thanks given by:
That being the case is there something I can do with the LDA? Would that be because it's ground?

I've turned the fueling down by 1 full turn so far. It has got better but it's still bad on boost.
Thanks given by:
Curt I've got a standard lda we can put in tomorrow if you want
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
you could just disconnect the boost hose from the top of the lda to rule it out if you want.
Thanks given by:
Boost leak? Wastegate creeping open? Sounds like way to much fuel.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(30-03-2014, 11:32 PM)Matt Wrote: Curt I've got a standard lda we can put in tomorrow if you want

Cheers man Smile.

(31-03-2014, 10:54 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: you could just disconnect the boost hose from the top of the lda to rule it out if you want.

Might be being daft, but wouldn't that create a rather bad boost leak and cause an issue itself?

(31-03-2014, 01:43 PM)Tom Wrote: Boost leak? Wastegate creeping open? Sounds like way to much fuel.

No boost leak, boost doesn't move it stays dead on 18. But...but... If there were way too much fuel it'd coal like a mother off boost? I bogged it properly at under 30 in 5th earlier, nothing at all. Then as it comes on boost, it smokes. Matt has a video on his phone, don't know whether it shows it or not though.

Another thing I've noticed; when you lift off slightly, it clears up pretty well. Move my foot about an inch to the floor and it pours out. The throttle stop (whatever it's called) from the front of the pump is missing completely, would this cause any issue? It didn't come with the pump.

I'll turn the fuel down some more later but it still doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks given by:
This is very strange, definitely get some videos if you can. It does sound sort of LDA related though, running a standard pin? Untouched position?

That throttle stop won't have anything to do with it, you talking about the dampner yeah?
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxdI6lmh...e=youtu.be

Foot flat to the floor at under 30 in 5th at the start of the video, then 3rd>4th on boost.

No, the maximum travel thing, the same as the minimum one on the opposite side of the arm.

Cheers for all the help guys.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smoke off boost Iaitoo 9 2,723 24-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Iaitoo
  Rough startup....smoke.. lots of smoke.. toseland 8 3,961 17-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Last Post: madmadmax
  Dturbo smoke on boost that bad? daveylennon93 4 1,351 14-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Last Post: daveylennon93