CV boot leaking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CV boot leaking
Thanks to a few lads on here I now know that my front passenger side wheel is covered in grease due to a split CV boot. I'm looking to get this replaced and since I'm not much of a hands on person like most of you guys on here I'm going to get the work done from a mechanic.

I was just wondering how much would it cost including labor for a new CV boot or if it is better value for money a whole new drive shaft..
Thanks given by:
Dont drive it much as the grease will get out of the joint and all the dirt and wet will get into it and it wont be long wearing it out. New stretchy cv boot will be the cheapest option.

Around 30/40 for supply and fit usually.
Thanks given by:
Cheers bud thats another option, Correct me if im wrong but by this do you mean the rubber spring needs replacing? sorry still got a lot to learn yet haha
Thanks given by:
What do you mean rubber spring? I guess your taking about the rubber cover on the end of the shaft? Thats the cv boot/cover/gaitor, and yea thats what needs replacing.
Thanks given by:
You can pick up brand new pattern drive shafts from Ebay for under £40 posted. See this link. Second hand they are even cheaper.

It would be totally cost in-effective for you to pay somebody to replace it, assuming the cost of replacing is circa £40.

The only argument could be that if you buy a second hand driveshaft, you don't know the lifespan of it.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Yeah I would go for a brand new one even if it costs more. Thanks lads
Thanks given by:
2 year warranty and quick delivery here.

http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/peugeot-3...new-97-02/

http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/peugeot-3...brand-new/

Don't forget you'll need gearbox oil as well.
Thanks given by:
A while since I did one on a 306, if I remember rightly the cv joint doesn't come off the end of the shaft like other cars therefore a special stretchy boot is used and put on with a special tool (a cone you slide it over). A top mechanic should have the job done in about 20 mins. (I did a vauxhall in about 15mins the other day, the joint comes off the shaft on those). A garage will probably want to charge silly money for the full shaft and don't normally like you to supply your own. They should charge you £5 to £10 for a boot plus fitting.
By the way, it is an MoT failure, so it will want doing for then.
Thanks given by:
Outer CV is removeable (or atleast, it certainly is on XU/XUD 'shafts) making it easy to do the job properly.

Get a proper good quality CV boot - the stretchy ones are in my opinion utter sh**e and don't last.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Half an hours labour is still about £30 at a garage, plus the tenner for the boot. Really is no point swapping boots when you can buy a shaft for that price.

Plus its already wearing anyway, I've seen so many times where a boot has been fitted just to get a car through MOT and a month or so later the joint is knocking...
Thanks given by:
(30-03-2014, 11:21 PM)Toms306 Wrote: 2 year warranty and quick delivery here.

I wouldn't have anything given off that set of cowboys.
Their quality control is terrible and their customer service is even worse.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2014, 01:40 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: Outer CV is removeable (or atleast, it certainly is on XU/XUD 'shafts) making it easy to do the job properly.

Get a proper good quality CV boot - the stretchy ones are in my opinion utter sh**e and don't last.

Ive fitted alot of stretchy boots and they are great quality, I actually have one in my tool box I must check what brand it is. There miles better 5han the fresher vag boots for example which are nearly like plastic and come apart.
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2014, 02:23 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(30-03-2014, 11:21 PM)Toms306 Wrote: 2 year warranty and quick delivery here.

I wouldn't have anything given off that set of cowboys.
Their quality control is terrible and their customer service is even worse.

You can probably make your own tbf... Tongue

I've had shafts from them with no issue though, also rated over on the other forum. 2 years warranty as well.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, try returning them and see how far your 2 year warranty gets you. 3 calipers I had from those lot with manufacturing faults (I don't mean small things, I mean like them screwing the wrong shape and thread bleed nipple into the calipers so they're cross threaded even in the box) and even after being rang, told what the fault was, returning the caliper with a note for them to see, they still sent another 2 calipers out with the exact same issue - even after a supposed check from their technical manager who then claimed they don't send out calipers with bleed nipples fitted (funny, as all three sets arrived with bleed nipples in...))- and that was after days of getting the run around on the phone
When they were returned got the runaround on the phone again for weeks and they never refunded any of the money for the faulty calipers even with proof of delivery of all three back to them, basically just f*cking theft, it's got to the point of small claims court to get a refund for their shoddy goods.

To make it even better, those calipers were replacements for a caliper he'd had from them 6 months earlier that had started leaking from the handbrake mechanism...
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2014, 04:15 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Yeah, try returning them and see how far your 2 year warranty gets you. 3 calipers I had from those lot with manufacturing faults (I don't mean small things, I mean like them screwing the wrong shape and thread bleed nipple into the calipers so they're cross threaded even in the box) and even after being rang, told what the fault was, returning the caliper with a note for them to see, they still sent another 2 calipers out with the exact same issue - even after a supposed check from their technical manager who then claimed they don't send out calipers with bleed nipples fitted (funny, as all three sets arrived with bleed nipples in...))- and that was after days of getting the run around on the phone
When they were returned got the runaround on the phone again for weeks and they never refunded any of the money for the faulty calipers even with proof of delivery of all three back to them, basically just f*cking theft, it's got to the point of small claims court to get a refund for their shoddy goods.

To make it even better, those calipers were replacements for a caliper he'd had from them 6 months earlier that had started leaking from the handbrake mechanism...

Lets hope its not the same guy building the callipers as the driveshafts then. lol
Thanks given by:
It's the same team for warranty and customer service!
Thanks given by:
Yeah but you wont need them if it's don't properly to start with. lol
Thanks given by:
which evidently, it sure as hell wasn't!
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2014, 02:42 PM)ConorTRG Wrote:
(01-04-2014, 01:40 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: Outer CV is removeable (or atleast, it certainly is on XU/XUD 'shafts) making it easy to do the job properly.

Ive fitted alot of stretchy boots and they are great quality, I actually have one in my tool box I must check what brand it is. There miles better 5han the fresher vag boots for example which are nearly like plastic and come apart.

May well depend on manufacturer, like most things. Only had one experience of stretchy boots, and it's been on 1.4 for nearly 2 years now. Can't remember the make but it took some finding.

Incidentally, 'some' of the shafts on TUs are of the 'Spider' type are not seperable from what I remember. Or if they are, they're a pain. Hence, the stretchy boot.

Nobody off here flogging a shaft for a tenner or so?
Thanks given by:
Yep, mine are like that, they're the smaller diameter shafts.
I do have 2 low milage ones of those available from my car if so, as I bought brand new ones for both sides myself.
Thanks given by: