Optimising idle when running veg?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optimising idle when running veg?
Good evening all.

I am currently attempting to tap into Mattcheese's knowledge regarding this matter, but thought I would open it up for discussion as well.

I'm running my car on 100% SVO because I'm a tight git and it smells nice (I like chips), what I find is that the idle speed gets a bit funky. I think I know why it's doing it, I just don't know how to remedy it. So:

1) Start car up from cold. Idles fine.
2) ~3 minutes later, glow plug relay times out.
3) Temps in the cylinder drop, causing incomplete combustion of veg (which is thicker/colder).
4) This causes big fluctuations in the idle (800-1100rpm), and unburnt veg smoke out the back.
5) Stops once operating temp is reached.

Does anyone have any magical fixes for this, or do I have to stick some pump diesel in to help the viscosity?

Cheers Big Grin
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Mines quite lopey on idle until the engines warmed up a bit.

I find sticking in some 2 stroke helps.

Also running a slightly higher idle (1150RPM~ish) can help on really cold mornings.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
silverzx Wrote:Mines quite lopey on idle until the engines warmed up a bit.

I find sticking in some 2 stroke helps.

Also running a slightly higher idle (1150RPM~ish) can help on really cold mornings.

Yeah I did run a high idle for a bit, but I find it gets really annoying once the engine is warmed up Sad
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
i'm on my phone atm so short answer is make sure yor cold start cable is adjusted correctly, set the cold idle about 1200 rpm and warm 1000 rpm or a bit less if you can, you will always have a lumpy idle on first start up though unless it's middle of summer Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Screw the cold idle in a bit or see if theres any adjustment in the wax stat cable
Thanks given by:
Is there any guides on setting up the cold start as my cables just hanging..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Fit an inline fuel heater

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glow-Plug-Hea ... 975wt_1416

or knock one up yourself out of a glowplug and an empty toilet roll
Thanks given by:
The problem is that the oil is too thick when cold, so really thinning it out is what is needed. 10% unleaded will thin it out.

You can advance the pump a few degrees as well, I've found this to help in the past, also modifying the filter housing by taking the temp operated bypass out and sending all fuel through the diesel heater before it hits the filter. I did this today on my own car. The fuel will get heat more quickly as the bypass has been taken out. (white plastic thing on the side of the filter housing.

You could also fit an inline facet lift pump by the tank to help the injector pump when the goings tough.

I have done over 100K on SVO over the years and TBH just learnt to live with the lumpy idle first thing.Smile
Thanks given by: