205 junior xud

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
205 junior xud
Hi all, been lurking around here for a while now but thought I'd post a thread finally. Unfortunately I've not been taking too many pics as I've been going along but I have a few.

I bought a 205 1.8d as a cheap run around for work as my other car drinks the fuel! Saw said 205 for sale as spares or repairs and managed to pick her up for 480 pound. The car had done a genuine 57k miles since 1993 with heaps of mot certificates and service history, if anything it had been over serviced with very few miles between intervals

[Image: IMAG0255.jpg]

After I had the car I realised it needed a few things fixing, first and foremost taxing it. The car needed the Speedo cable fixing, leaky fuel line, power steering belt loose and the alternator belt was loose so some easy fixes.

I drove the car for 5 days then realised 60bhp is suitable for no one! So ordered this Smile

[Image: IMAG0186.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nice, you staying with the standard turbo or going for something fun?
Thanks given by:
Then the conversion began. The lump going in was a dhy lump (yeah I know :/ ) with 62k on the clock, a/c which would be ripped out and power steering. It was a fairly straight forward swap with the odd niggle getting in the way. I had do space the main coolant pipe as it was too short and would pull against the turbo, the rad housing and fans had to go and brackets knocked up. I had to use the standard 1.8 box as I didn't get an xud box so swapped the fly and clutch over.

A new cam belt and water pump, along with tensioner and idler pullies were installed along with ripping off the a/c compressor and a nee aux belt.
[Image: IMAG0188.jpg]

It took a bit of persuasion to get in with the box on but I had help at this point and the heart transplant was nearly done.
[Image: IMAG0204.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0205.jpg]

Then at this point there was plumbing to be done and some wiring which I have no clue about but I have a friend who does looms for rally and race cars for a living so it was a very easy job for him. As I said earlier the rad was a bit strange to do with very tight clearance by the alternator and I had to buy a boost take off metal collar to plumb the heat exchanger into as the 205 rad only has one bottom inlet.

[Image: IMAG0220.jpg]

Then after a few hickups, such as the immobilized pump and getting the fuel lines on the wrong way round and a leaky injector pipe as my mate said he had tightened it after he cracked it which he didn't! It was all living and breathing. I bought a 306 d turbo down pipe for 15 pound from Euro car parts and knocked up a cheap system using some spare pipe and the rest of the 205 system although it still touches on the gear linkages. I slapped a spare 57i that I had lying around on it and it was good to go.

[Image: IMAG0228.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0269.jpg]

Since this I've bought some gti leather seats which I have given a good clean up but only have a pic from when they went in dirty.
[Image: IMAG0226.jpg]

I think I might keep the denim door cards and blue carpet as it looks pretty Pimp Smile
I also replaced the tape player with a free head unit (keeping it all cheap!)

She then went for an mot and failed on a rottom subframe which I was going to stuff with kitchen towel and spray black but totally forgot about it lol so I had to replace that and bought a new one, sanded it all down, sprayed it and replaced all the bushes and then it passed.

Also I have replaced the gear linkages for some adjustable new ones and it feels much tighter now! I added a boost gauge and water temp gauge tool, I liked the look of the stack ones as they have more of a vintage feel to match the car I think.
[Image: IMAG0268.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0267.jpg]
The boost gauge here is just temporary as I want it where the clock is in the dash but I hear it's a pain in the arse ripping the dash out.

One last thing I did at the weekend was buy some 1.9 gti brakes with braided lines and vented discs and ferodo pads so now it stops a lot better and they just squeeze behind the 13 inch steels with a millimetre to clear!

(25-03-2014, 11:50 PM)306Dan Wrote: Nice, you staying with the standard turbo or going for something fun?

I think for now I'll keep the standard turbo as I've tweaked the pump and waste gate and it feels fairly nippy and when I was between tweaks it was level with my mates e39 525d up until 95 which isn't too bad! but my other car flies past it :p

Might opt for a larger turbo in the future, well I say might but I know I will do :/ but I'll upgrade to a Bosch pump then and make sure I get some forged rods to match as I've seen plenty of these engines throwing a leg out of bed!
Thanks given by:
Looks great Smile

Any plans to run more boost?fmic?different turbo?
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
I'm crying out for a fmic but need an adapter and I'm struggling for room to fit piping and a cooler. I don't mind chopping the bumper a bit as I want to keep it flat arch prison spec Smile but yeah piping will be an issue I think. Got it up to 18 psi now and I think I'll stay there a bit to keep on the safe side.
Thanks given by:
looks a nice install mate, very oem! where you from?
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
From Staffordshire in the Midlands. I want to try to keep it along the sleeper look like my c2 Smile I do love the whole wolf in sheep's clothing thing. I want to get a 2.5 inch mandrel bent system, albeit just the one bend on the 205 lol and then need to sort suspension and intercooler. I'm thinking a lowered gti 1.6 with drum rear beam and spax psx adjustable damping shocks up front and I've already got apex lowering springs which I got from eBay un used for 15 pound Big Grin then want her sitting on c5 alloy 'steels' to keep it looking standard. I would love central locking, electric Windows and maybe fitting some heated seat elements into the front.
Thanks for the positive feedback, any ideas on what else I can do?
Thanks given by:
Bosch pump!

Geta bosch on there, so easy then to tune to 130bhp ish with std turbo AND run on veg....and fmic for sure

Love this project by the way.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Looks epic!

Where abouts in Staffordshire
Thanks given by:
Randomcallerbi have a spare manifold adaptor £30 posted or collect for 25 im only in birmingham
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
Miami xud 205.... It's like dejavu haha

Looks tidy though mate :-)
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Love this, very nice job you've done. This needs big power! Smile
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2014, 07:28 AM)clarkey2010 Wrote: Looks epic!

Where abouts in Staffordshire

I'm in stone buddy

(26-03-2014, 07:17 AM)Piggy Wrote: Bosch pump!

Geta bosch on there, so easy then to tune to 130bhp ish with std turbo AND run on veg....and fmic for sure

Love this project by the way.

Thanks piggy, I've read all through yours and it looks sick. I'd love a Bosch pump but I think I'll hold off for a while. I do notice that most that throw a rod are running gov nodded Bosch pumps though :z I certainly couldn't complain running on veg at that price either!

(26-03-2014, 08:07 AM)td_dan Wrote: Randomcallerbi have a spare manifold adaptor £30 posted or collect for 25 im only in birmingham

I'd take you up on that, I need to hit my post count first to access private messaging first. Does it have a boost comp take off on it? Thanks.
Thanks given by:
Yes mate it does thats fine when your ready or add me on fb - daniel clifton

Current cars
Thanks given by:
Not really an update but invested in some Bosch aero wipers, can't praise them enough over my old ones that barely touched the screen!
[Image: IMAG0271.jpg]

And as you can see getting intercooler piping behind this is gonna be a bit of a squeeze :/
[Image: IMAG0270.jpg]

Also had to sort this mess out on my c2, the exhaust rocker on the first bank of cylinders was pissing oil out the back of the block and running all down to the front. I couldn't find an actual gasket for this and Euro car parts only list a special paste but its worked! It's a right bugger about trying to get the inlet manifold off due to the lack of space down the back to get to the first three cylinders Sad
[Image: IMAG0261.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nice project, got a soft spot for 205's too :-)

If your after a FMIC then dropping the rad and fitting a BMW Intercooler in the gap would keep it looking standard. Quite short pipe runs on an Xud too.
Thanks given by:
Bought a couple of new toys for the 205 this week.

Picked up some stdt clocks which are gonna be a pain to get working with no gti clock loom as it's a base model. Also need to source a top dash that will fit as mine is the split dash.
[Image: IMAG0435.jpg]

Got a front mount intercooler as well, still need an inlet adaptor which I'm chatting to Danny about and some more hoses then I should be good. Gonna be a tight squeeze getting her in, I still can't see a way yet but with the stuff all there I'll make it fit.
[Image: IMAG0432.jpg]

Finally picked up an xud box for the low low price of £10.50 Smile I'll have to swap the diff over from my 205 box and convert the clutch mechanism which I'm still not sure on how to do but I'll pick someone's brain. Can I just slot in the clutch arm and mechanism from the 205 box that I have into the 306 one? Then it will be a new clutch while the box is off and hopefully she will rev a bit less at 70 as it screams its bag off at the moment :z
[Image: IMAG0434.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Check out my thread about the gearbox mate Smile

Cars looking good

Current cars
Thanks given by:
Yeah I've had another look Smile can you give me any pointers when it comes to swapping the clutch arms over? Do you just change the top arm mechanism or the fork inside the bell housing as well? Also how come you had to grind and weld the arm? was it just because it was seized? That's the only bit I am un sure of to get the clutch mechanism working properly :zanother brain pick, what clutch/flywheel setup are you using? I'm running the 205 fly at the moment with the 205 clutch, tbh I think the fly wheels are identical.
Thanks given by:
Keep the standard arm in the box just change the 2 on top of the box themain clutch arm doesnt need touching just the selector arms you will know which ones when there side by side, the grinding and welding was because it had seized

Im using a standard 1.9 fly and clutch setup Smile

Current cars
Thanks given by:
Great looking car! Such a good find! I think winter time ill be looking for something like this tbf.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've got a gti dash loom if you want it. £10 delivered. Not the tidiest but will do the job

Drop me a pm

Use the dt flywheel and a 1.9 Mi 16 clutch which is a push type.
You'll need to swap the diff/clutch arm/clutch fork and gear selectors for the 205 items (if using a 306 dt box)
hdi is push type already so no need to touch the arm/fork, just the diff
I wouldn't let it seem like a massive job and start worrying about things. Just get on with it really. Need any pointers just ask. Done this conversion many many times myself

To fit the intercooler you've got no choice but to lower the rad really.
I used some 20mm x 40mm and some 90' brackets to drop mine. It's still a squeeze.
I'm fitting the gti valance to give me a bit more room behind the bumper so I can fit a bigger front mount and drop the rad further.

I'll get some pics

[Image: 20131004_173858_zps62a09cc4.jpg]

[Image: 20131004_173906_zpsf6b35890.jpg]

[Image: 20131004_180301_zps6f5413ab.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130830-WA0010_zps27377358.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130830-WA0006_zpsfd4eda35.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20130907-WA0000_zps3b9c2573.jpg]

When I drop the rad further I could use this bmw intercooler
Thanks given by:
E39 intercooler is a perfect fit with a dropped rad.
[Image: 20140327_225732_zps82f53bfc.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the help, think I'll drop the rad to get the intercooler piping up and over it and under the 'slam panel' but I think the cooler is too large to take place of the grill and the inlets face outwards so looks like it's gonna have to be bodged in front of the rad behind the bumper somewhere. Hope I get enough cooling without having to cut the bumper or it won't be as stealth/prison spec.
Thanks given by:
It's been a while but project prison is now back on the road. Had more issues a while back with the aux belt shredding and making the cam timing jump a tooth (thankfully 1 only). Cos I was gonna be doing the belt again I thought I'd get a Bosch pump that has had the lda and the gov mod done. I tried for weeks to get her running properly and testing it but to no avail and now with the increased post count to get onto the pm's I can't let the seller know :z

Slapped the Lucas back on and she works fine apart from getting some air in the lines now which I wasn't before so just need to trace the fuel pipes back. Ive got some drilled and grooved discs for cheap I'll lash on the front tomorrow as well.

The next things on the list will be sort the front mount set up but need lots of pipe work and it's more expensive than I thought! Also need to get a proper exhaust and then address the suspension. I've got some apex lowering springs on the cheap but need some new shocks and top mounts, I'm thinking bilsti b4's possibly? Also on the look out for a drum gti rear beam I'll put new shocks and mounts and brakes on which I may have sourced for cheap.

One more thing :x I'm in the market for a reflective pannel on the tail gate (the Peugeot 205 red one) to cover up some of those horrendous Christian stickers. Saying ths t it must look funny boosting away in the church wagon, I even pulled on a fiesta st last night (not the brand new one) which I was surprised about for my current set up.

Any advice on suspension or an exhaust would be good, a place to get cheap solid boost pipe and silicone would be welcome too!
Thanks given by:
Well today I fitted new drilled and grooved discs so she stops a lot better than the old 1.9 rusted gti ones.

Also ordered some bilstein b4's the gas ones and some new top mounts so should hopefully handle a bit better soon when they come. Tomorrow I might attack the stdt dash and try to get myself a rev counter working!
Thanks given by:
Used these guys a lot for all sorts of piping: http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Tomorrow I should have an inline Audi tt fuel filter coming with some more clear fuel line as I'm getting air in from the fuel filter housing since I swapped my pumps back to Lucas. Also got some new solid line to 're pipe under the car as that's well corroded.

The fuel filter I've ordered is just your standard 20vt Audi tt inline jobbie, I take it it's ok to use as I've heard you folks talk about it before. Just want to check it doesn't clog any sooner with it being a filter meant for a petrol, I assume the filters use pretty much the same filter element anyway.
Thanks given by:
So gonna have a productive day today hopefully if the rain holds off.

Lashed up my inline tt filter with some clear line because I have started getting a little air in which I suspect is coming from under the car.

[Image: IMAG0637_1.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0636_1.jpg]

Please ignore the wire lash to the solenoid it's only temporary after the Bosch didn't work.

Bought some mist washer jets which are loads better than the old 205 ones.
[Image: IMAG0638.jpg]

Finally gonna try 're piping the under side of the car, the fuel pipes are alloy with a plastic type coating over them so shouldn't fail for the life time of the car now. Got 4 metres so plenty to work with!
[Image: IMAG0639.jpg]

Also retarded the pump timing a bit earlier as I think when I put the Lucas back on I had her a tad too far advanced.
If I get time this weekend hopefully I can lash up another exhaust temporarily with some old pipe, currently I'm still using the old pea shooter 205 system and I don't think that does her any favours.

No more updates really other than some new discs up front and a manual fan switch, still need pipe work for the intercooler but it costs so much!
Thanks given by:
Looks good, shame about the Bosch problems though... How will you attach the flexi fuel hose to the alloy section as it looks quite big?
Thanks given by: