HELP PLEASE HDI CUTTING OUT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP PLEASE HDI CUTTING OUT
I have recently bought a hdi from a friend. It has since then started cutting out when throttle is fully open on load. i have to turn the ignition off for about 10 seconds then she will fire right back up.

the car has a front mount and apparently remaped.
it has got a boost leak atm (i can hear hissing when boosting)

sorry for the noob post but i am mechanically minded any help appreciated

thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
hi mate,

welcome to the forum, where are you from buddy?

have you tried anything to fix it?

best bet be put it on some diagnostic equipment and see what fault code it comes up with to narrow the search mate if you know someone?

it sounds primary fuel circuit related..

it could be the lift pump in the tank is about dead (most common) wiring fault to lift pump as these fail, high pressure pump, fuel pressure regulator, throttle position sensor i have known to do this aswell (happened to a mates car)

id chance my bets on the lift pump, is it whinning bad mate or is there lots of gold flakes at the bottom of the fuel filter housing?

thanks
Thanks given by:
Im in Conwy N.Wales i cant hear any whining coming from the lift pump im up for trying anythink if i get a few ideas i will be able to have a look this week end
Big Grin

i cant remember the exact fault codes but it was somethink like

egr malfunction

primary fuel circuit malfunction

thanks mate
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2014, 07:39 PM)Graham1989 Wrote: Im in Conwy N.Wales i cant hear any whining coming from the lift pump im up for trying anythink if i get a few ideas i will be able to have a look this week end
Big Grin

thanks mate

ah fair treck then haha...

id say lift pump is it about 3k in third on boost it does it normally?

i would plug it in if you can mate so we have somewhere start rather than guessing?

check the filter in the lift pumps not clogged?

check for gold flakes at bottom of fuel filter housing?

all of the above you can find int he guide section of the forum

thanks
Thanks given by:
Cheers for you help mate all help appreciated
Thanks given by:
let me know how u get on mate, ill keep tabs on this see how you go as you cant private message people until you have twenty posts Smile

rep would be would be appretiated Wink
Thanks given by:
Fuel pressure sensor on pump try change that
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
nice one i will try that too im new to diesels so its a steep learning curve lol
Thanks given by:
There's some helpful info in the link in my sig.

I'd suggest starting with any items you can swap with a known good one, if you know somebody else nearby with a working HDi. Could be high or low pressure fuel circuit, need to get more information from peugeot planet or similar diagnostics if possible.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
A old hdi of mine used to do this, turned out to be clogged cat. Does it do it in every gear? If so decat it.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
it has been de cated thinging of scrapping the mid box too Big Grin
Thanks given by:
This is fuel pressure related, there are a magnitude of causes for this, check the thread poodle linked or on my FAQ section, very common, nothing to worry about as it should be fixable!
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
ye everything seems to be pointing to fuel i love my car just wish i could use her properly Sad
Thanks given by:
right i did a test last night and it seems to be happening if i do a standing start fast launch it cuts out at 40mph in third at 12psi boost (roughly only got a cheap boost guage) does this narrow it down at all ?
Thanks given by:
How much fuel do you keep in the tank? If you're much below a quarter of a tank it could just be down to lift pump starvation. Unlikely, but have seen it quite a lot, could be a cheap fix. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
i am guilty of keeping it quite low tbh Confused
Thanks given by:
If you keep a bit more fuel in there it might solve the problem then. Also, running these dry isn't good for them, maybe lay off the red light roulette lol. I used to do the same, then my HDi wouldn't start one day... £500 later and she's golden. Rolleyes
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: