new road tax system

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new road tax system
I don't know if there's another thread on this, I couldn't find one so please refer me if there is. If not,

Does anybody else think this new proposed system is crap? OK 90% of the time it doesn't make much difference other than I don't put a new disc in every 6/12 months. Although it is a handy reminder it's not a big issue. My gripe is when selling / buying a car, you have to claim a refund on only unused months, and buy for all of the month you're in. So, hypothetically speaking I buy a car on the 2nd of the month, but don't plan to use it for 3 weeks (this isn't really hypothetical. We're buying my wife's first car in advance of passing so we can get a cheap car that needs a few jobs doing)
Anyway, seller loses 28 days of tax, I lose 20 days. Those days are paid for twice.

Now, there are laws on taxes, and the one I'm going off is you cannot be overcharged. If it isn't possible to charge the exact amount it must be less. This is why vat is always rounded down regardless of if it's 0.01p or 0.999p

As well as the government saving money on admin which is their reasoning for it (what's the betting the saving won't be passed on to us) they're going to be making more out of it. Which their being very quiet about. Yes it may be only £15 a car but how many cars are bought and sold every year? That will mount up quite nicely in their back pockets.

And once I insure a car, will it still take 5 days to register so I can tax it? Because I'm pretty sure that writing out post offices is part of the grand plan, at which point we'll be relying on that stupid website which won't tax your car until it's got updated details. V5, insurance and mot.

I'd say rant over, but it isn't. It's absolute rubbish and I for one hope that something comes about to sort this money grabbing scheme. I've had it with the innocent motorist being robbed in broad daylight!
Thanks given by:
why cant you tax it with the V5C the seller gives you like you do now at the post office
Thanks given by:
It doesn't matter who it's taxed by any more as there doesn't have to be an address to send the disc to. Providing the date of taxing and date of transfer of vehicle match up, you will have taxed that car wether it's online or in a post office.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
and there is already a thread here Wink
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-21739.html
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2014, 10:25 PM)cully Wrote: and there is already a thread here Wink
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-21739.html

Dammit. Thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
This has already been covered else where.

But while were on the subject. my car has no tax, ive sold it but the buyer cannot pick the car up till after 5.30pm when post office is closed.

Is it true you dont need insurance document to tax a car now?
Plan was hed insure car in morning and ill go get tax in day ready for his collection, as ill have mot and log book but no insurance papers.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2014, 10:41 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: This has already been covered else where.

But while were on the subject. my car has no tax, ive sold it but the buyer cannot pick the car up till after 5.30pm when post office is closed.

Plan was hed insure car in morning and ill go get tax in day ready for his collection, as ill have mot and log book but no insurance papers.

Correct Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 09:27 AM)Niall Wrote:
(15-03-2014, 10:41 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: This has already been covered else where.

Correct Smile

Wicked that makes life so much easier then. :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Well thats very handy if no ins paper now needed
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I don't think you need much paper work anymore only what the dvla send you if you've owned the car for a while.but unless you've just bought the car then you can use the green slip with insurance papers.
I have heard that they are scrapping tax discs as it will be on computer if your taxed now and that you might have to pay monthly.I don't see why that they have to change when it's all right as it is
Thanks given by: