Project Daily Wagon! Y418AKH HDI Estate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Daily Wagon! Y418AKH HDI Estate
Right where to start? At the begging i suppose..

Spotted this on [URL="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-2ltr-HDI-Meridian-Estate-Diesel-MOT-failure-Fail-listed-/301102544271?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=mNWViYIrvKGNirxOmNlJwOs%252BoME%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]E bay[/URL] so decided with it only being down the road(ish) i'd go take a look, the eBay description wasn't sounding very hopeful but i don't mind getting my hands dirty and with work at Euro Car Parts means i can get any parts for it fairly cheaply. So upon going to view it there were a few little niggly bits but the main thing was the rust to the fuel filler area, and the start of rust inside...

[Image: Estate001-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate003-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate005-1.jpg]

Also looking at the MOT paper it needed a fair amount of work to get it through/sorted. MOT failures + Advisorys as follows

1 - Parking brake efficiency below requirements 14%
2 - (filler cap) fuel system component insecure -*Please see pics re this...rotted away, including the inner arch and boot
3 - N/S rear tyre has lump
4 - Bulb gone - (dipped beam)
5 - N/S F anti-roll bar excessive play
6 - N/S F ball joint excessive play
7 - N/S F track rod end ball joint excessive play
8 - Centre (to rear joint clamp) exhaust has major leak of exhaust gasses

Advisories -

Front brake pads starting to wear
One Front brake disk worn, pitted or scored but not excessively
Rear brake disk worn, pitted or scored but not excessively
Rear Reg plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread
Offside rear (inner arch) has slight corrosion.

So with that i mind i made an offer as it was worth the money for parts was okay although i was needing a work horse to get me to and from work for when we move warehouse.

So made an offer after going to view it and voila i bought it home the day after viewing it ready for work to commence....

[Image: Estate007-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate008-1.jpg]

Managed to have a word with the missus dad and he said hell do the welding and can keep the car at the unit while i do the bits to get it through the MOT.

Work began on replacing the filler cap area and the rust on the inside was worse than expected so i managed to cut back the majority of it and make some plates up and weld over it and try keep the integrity of the car...

Will let the pictures do the talking..

[Image: Estate011-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate010-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate009-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate012-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate015-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate016-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate014-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate020-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate021-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate023-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate022-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate024-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate025-1.jpg]
[Image: Estate026-1.jpg]

After all the welding was done i then ground down the weld and used seam sealer for the inside and outside allowed that to dry then sprayed tetroseal all in the arches, now time to look for the arch liners!

[Image: Estate028-1.jpg]

All back in one piece with all round new discs and pads, both TRE's done, both bottom ball joints done, both anti roll bars done and sorted the exhaust leak out all it was is that they had used the old clamp which was knackered and wasn't sealing the join correctly so a new one sorted that. So now the car is practically ready for the MOT.

Needed the tracking doing so took it to be done

[Image: Estate030-1.jpg]

Upon coming home from the tracking i noticed a weird knocking noise on the drivers side which turned out to be the suspension which had gone at the top mount so with the MOT booked in for the Monday i got one off a local chap to me for £20 and got around to fitting it with a mate.

[Image: 8EE1B3698E784D4DB7742CADE87AE769-1.jpg]
[Image: 8B0703DF85F343CD899F60ACEFB3D2EA-1.jpg]
The little one decided she wanted to come out and help so she robbed daddys spanner Wink

[Image: A3669C85637145BEB1AFEE0F0EB41554-1.jpg]

Monday (10th) MOT time!

So took it to a friend of the family whose done all my MOT's since i've owned a car! Showed him Failure MOT paper so he went over it with tootpick comb to make sure everything was fine and i took it home with a fresh 12month ticket even had time for a little cheeky photo!

[Image: 2636E3B4D24F434392D1A31AC6A8DEC3-1.jpg]

Thats it for now but the plans for it soon and funds depending are

- Decat
- Stage 2 (with limited torque)
- New Clutch
- FMIC
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sounds good! I have never seen that much rust around the filler cap. Infact ive never seen any at all! Well done saving it. How much did you actually pay?
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2014, 10:09 PM)SRowell Wrote: Sounds good! I have never seen that much rust around the filler cap. Infact ive never seen any at all! Well done saving it. How much did you actually pay?

The bloke me had some work done that needed both rear arch liners removed and for some reason they werent put back in thus causing the rust to appear.

i paid £230 for it as i thought its worth that in bits atleast if i cant repair it.
Thanks given by:
Yeh thats pretty decent. Worth more than that in aprts and scrap. Doesnt look too shabby either! I paid more for mine and mine was wonky!
Thanks given by:
If your plans are new clutch, why not take that opportunity to put something decent in... Would be silly to put stock in there if you have plans...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Some mad rust there,glad to see you sorted it

now time to enjoy your bargain 306 Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2014, 10:26 PM)SRowell Wrote: Yeh thats pretty decent. Worth more than that in aprts and scrap. Doesnt look too shabby either! I paid more for mine and mine was wonky!

This is true it was bought as a punt and it paid off... Wonky how? Confused

(12-03-2014, 11:28 PM)Tom Wrote: If your plans are new clutch, why not take that opportunity to put something decent in... Would be silly to put stock in there if you have plans...

That was the idea but with money being slightly tighter this month I will be fitting a stock LUK clutch kit some point as I can get it from work new for around £50

(14-03-2014, 03:48 AM)7057sam Wrote: Some mad rust there,glad to see you sorted it

now time to enjoy your bargain 306 Smile

There was and over never really taken on the amount of work that had to be done on this but I'll be honest it is so worth it its a lovely looking motor and well worth the money I spent!
Thanks given by:
Early this week managed to get some time off work and sort out the auxilary belt setup

[Image: 1AF46C03-D986-474C-9EA3-B5E0E20EC036.jpg]

[Image: B4F77976-2975-4B0D-A780-6412030C8DF4.jpg]

[Image: F82A787C-7C18-4C09-A5D0-165974BF4E5F.jpg]

As you can see the pulley rubber Is really bad and grooves in both pulleys...

[Image: ED265A8B-E99A-4DE9-B5A6-8584500E376C.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Still think you should put a decent clutch in it! Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
@tom what do you recommend?

Never really looked into a stage 2 do its a little unclear until I get round to looking into it
Thanks given by:
According to a post by Pro Steve a LUK clutch was fine on one of his customers cars with a stage 2.

I wouldn't bother spending four times the amount you can get your Luk on a paddle clutch.
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2014, 09:24 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: According to a post by Pro Steve a LUK clutch was fine on one of his customers cars with a stage 2.

I wouldn't bother spending four times the amount you can get your Luk on a paddle clutch.

I do remember reading somewhere that a few people have stock LUK clutches that can handle a limited torque stage 2 map
Thanks given by:
Had a little productive morning sunday took a mate over to the local scrapyard to get some bits for his to turn up and find a 306 estate straight ahead of us looks like it had only just been brought in so managed to get bits and pieces off i need list as follows

Passenger Rear Back Liner
Steering Wheel
Loads of fixing screws and plastic clips for the arch liners
Roof bars and all the caps

[Image: IMG_1940.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1941.jpg]

Forgot to take a picture of the new steering wheel fitted but a picture of the tattered old one

[Image: IMG_1942.jpg]

I find the subtle changes do make a difference

Plans for the roof bars are to have them sprayed black along with the other set of cyclones i have

Slow progress really but i want to take my time with it and get it mechanically sound and visually good before ploughing anymore money into it really
Thanks given by:
Right so had a little isse with the car not wanting to start but if you turn the key back and retry it fires first tim.

so out comes PP and a little play for engine faults and any other faults found out that the ECU has only had fault codes cleared twice in all its life which is a bonus! one in 2003 and one is unknown only engine fault code is to do with the clutch switch nothing serious.

Im assuming the ECU is the trouble of it not wanting to fire sometimes...

Fault code picture

[Image: errorECUonestate.png]

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks given by:
Could be a dieing ECU Sad or what about the relay behind the ECU doesn't one of them control power to it, sorry it's a bit sketchy.

I'll see if I can find out more.

Found it, there is a 15pin brown relay. Have you got one of them spare to try?
Thanks given by:
The one behind the ecu if so I always thought that was the fuel relay? I possibly have a spare
Thanks given by:
I think their are three there, glow plug, water heater (black box with two in) and the third closest the body.
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2014, 08:49 PM)JamesG Wrote: Had a little productive morning sunday took a mate over to the local scrapyard to get some bits for his to turn up and find a 306 estate straight ahead of us looks like it had only just been brought in so managed to get bits and pieces off i need list as follows

Steering Wheel

Forgot to take a picture of the new steering wheel fitted but a picture of the tattered old one

Plans for the roof bars are to have them sprayed black along with the other set of cyclones i have

Slow progress really but i want to take my time with it and get it mechanically sound and visually good before ploughing anymore money into it really

Haha I took caliper of it Monday morning! I noticed roof bars had gone. I almost took lights and bumper!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2014, 08:28 AM)DeeTurbo Wrote: I think their are three there, glow plug, water heater (black box with two in) and the third closest the body.

Yeah glow plug which is the black one with green bottom, black box with 2 relays in and the brown on which I assumed was the fuel relay?

Can anyone confirm this?

(21-03-2014, 09:03 AM)kentiiboii Wrote:
(17-03-2014, 08:49 PM)JamesG Wrote: Had a little productive morning sunday took a mate over to the local scrapyard to get some bits for his to turn up and find a 306 estate straight ahead of us looks like it had only just been brought in so managed to get bits and pieces off i need list as follows

Steering Wheel

Haha I took caliper of it Monday morning! I noticed roof bars had gone. I almost took lights and bumper!

Was a nice little find haha and yes I do have crystals and possibly getting a Diablo to break this weekend bud if you need anything shout Smile
Thanks given by:
Yes that box is the glow plug relay mate.

I would like first dibs on everything!
Is it phase 3?
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that fuel pump relay is called the engine managment double relay in the haynes manual. It also powers it. Worth ago if you've got a spare?

Is it a three door, that diablo?
Thanks given by:
Sorry dee turbo already called dibs. :-) there's a few things I'm in need of :-) lol
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2014, 09:29 AM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Yeah, that fuel pump relay is called the engine managment double relay in the haynes manual. It also powers it. Worth ago if you've got a spare?

Is it a three door, that diablo?

I'll have a look may take a trip looms and grab the one of the hdi that was in looms or rob the one off my Diablo just to try it.

Its a 5 door unfortunately only a 1.4 its abit battered but worth breaking

(21-03-2014, 09:47 AM)kentiiboii Wrote: Sorry dee turbo already called dibs. :-) there's a few things I'm in need of :-) lol

Well let me know what you need and I'll let you know as and when I get it
Thanks given by:
Id like boot, side strips, bumpers possible hocky sticks, lights and side skirts please mate
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2014, 02:23 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Id like boot, side strips, bumpers possible hocky sticks, lights and side skirts please mate

That's cool mate front bumpers seen better days and rear bumper has a crack in other than that its fine bud
Thanks given by:
So I've decided I will be getting another engine and rebuilding it ready for summer that's my hope cash and time depending.

Ready for a stage 2

Watch this space
Thanks given by:
Well plans for the other engine to rebuild are on hold need to get this a solid little workhorse for now and with how its going I'm not having much luck.

Needs the following doing

Rear axle bushes replacing and new axle (already sourced just need to collect it)
Clutch and clutch cable
Service
New wishbones up front
Possibly new driveshafts both sides

I did have an intercooler setup lined up off a mate but all the piping got robbed!!!

And with money being tight I'll have to do these bit by bit so not much of an update!
Thanks given by:
Have you seen this, could sort your starting issue?

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22984-po...#pid416161
Thanks given by:
Well scince I replaced the brown relay I've not had a problem since with a starting issue *touch wood*

Wishbone bushes sorted got them for a steal!

[Image: u8ubeqyn.jpg]
[Image: agymu2yj.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Anyone guess what I'm doing this Easter weekend?

[Image: hu3u4yna.jpg]
[Image: va8uruqy.jpg]
[Image: urany3y6.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr_Jekyll & Mr_Hyde Estate Project dr_jekyll 1,282 420,694 13-01-2019, 02:21 PM
Last Post: dr_jekyll
  Project car-now the DAILY!!! bashbarnard 125 50,509 12-03-2017, 09:31 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Matts wagon Matt 21 7,622 19-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Last Post: ginge191