I think wishbone bushes or ball joints ..... looking for confirmation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think wishbone bushes or ball joints ..... looking for confirmation
Got a bit of an issue going on. Not major, more annoying. 1996 405 estate. I've got a clunking that sounds like arb drop links but they're new and I've checked they're fitted correctly. I also have a slight, I'd say pull, but it's more of a lateral movement of the front end if that makes sense, to the right when accelerating, and left when braking or just decelerating, more obvious when towing and / or got weight in the car. The clunk only tends to happen under 30mph and the radio is enough to make it "go away". Also I've got slight wear on the outside of the right (o/s) tyre.

I'm pretty sure the brakes are balanced and I'm not blaming tracking (yet) because of the other symptoms.

Trouble is I don't know how to check wishbone bushes to confirm it.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2014, 06:58 PM)firemoth Wrote: Got a bit of an issue going on. Not major, more annoying. 1996 405 estate. I've got a clunking that sounds like arb drop links but they're new and I've checked they're fitted correctly. I also have a slight, I'd say pull, but it's more of a lateral movement of the front end if that makes sense, to the right when accelerating, and left when braking or just decelerating, more obvious when towing and / or got weight in the car. The clunk only tends to happen under 30mph and the radio is enough to make it "go away". Also I've got slight wear on the outside of the right (o/s) tyre.

I'm pretty sure the brakes are balanced and I'm not blaming tracking (yet) because of the other symptoms.

Trouble is I don't know how to check wishbone bushes to confirm it.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks

I had a 405 lxtd estate for 3 years, no bother with wishbone bushes on mine, but I know the balljoints do wear out---there is a special 4-pronged socket needed to change them. jack car up onto axle stands and get a bar/big screwdriver in between the wishbone and its mounting point-----lever side to side to see if its flopping about (there will be a little movement as its made of rubber)
Thanks given by:
Yeh check the wishbone bushes. I had the same symptoms and have just replaced mine and now its perfect Smile
Thanks given by:
Jack it up, grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock, test for movement Wink
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Powerflex Front Wishbone Bushes gti6man 2 2,087 16-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Last Post: miles
  dummy cv joints pug306driver 10 1,923 28-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Wishbone bushes mattbarker32 0 921 04-08-2016, 12:29 PM