Gti 6 blown up?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gti 6 blown up?
My 6 decided it wanted to blow upon me the other day, was driving normally and all of a sudden a strong jolt with lots n lots of white smoke. Evan chucked some oil out (unsure where from yet). Isnt dropping oil now, does start just but sounds like a bucket of bolts. Piston 1 3 4 blowing 11's on a compression test but number 2 is 0. Not evan huffing when I pulled the tool away.
It did suck up some water during the floods and died for the night wondering if thats the cause, ideally I need to know what the problem is. Head or bottum end?
Cheers
Thanks given by:
tbh the first thing I would be doing is taking the head off and seeing if a piston is floating around in there. I certainly wouldnt be trying to start it again.
Thanks given by:
Yeah definitely the water getting sucked,bottom end I reckon sounds like mine lol

Does it rapidly over heat aswell,could be a sign the heads gone aswell
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
As said, no way of knowing really till you whip the head off...
You done the right thing initially.
If you can bare to run it for a few minutes, I would watch the header tank/rad to see if it bubbles or smells much
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Cant keep it running long enough to find out, dies shortly after starting. Didnt have any oil pressure or temp issues before it clucked out
Thanks given by:
Does sound bad.

I would whip the head and sump off to investigate further.

Then make a decision.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If the compression test result is literally zero then something quite fundemental has let go.

Was it a tapper? Valve head dropping off would be my best guess if so.

If there's zero compression I wouldn't bother running it upto temperature - just pull the head off and you'll see the issue straight away. Can only really be a bent/broken valve, a holed piston, or a catastrophic head gasket failure to give literally nothing (and even the HG would normally show a small amount of compression)
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Wasnt a tapper, was the smoothest running 6 ive ever seen. Evan had a full rebuild at pug performance 5 years ago but yes im tempted to pull the whole lump out tbh and work on it in the garage
Thanks given by:
Ill be getting on it tomorrow and coming back with an update
Thanks given by:
Water sucked up then bang and loss of compression. Sounds a lot like Matt when he shat a rod! If that's the case, that engine is basically scrap. Usually though if they throw a rod, it comes through the crank case and makes a mess everywhere!!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I'd be underneath it finding out where it dropped the oil from.

My guess is theres a hole somewhere there shouldnt be when something shot out Sad
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
I did think that but it only lost a small amount of oil and its still full of oil now on the dip stick and guage?
Thanks given by:
Odd one but i would definately be whipping the head off to check the lack of compression.

Hope its not terminal
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
This sounds all to familiar.....

I ran mine through a flood, it taped like crazy after. White smoke and wouldn't start. Once dried it was still a tapper, took 2.5k miles for it to shit it's rods
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Hmm, mine never tapped before and tbh it makes about 100 differant noise's when its running now lol
Thanks given by:
Forgot about this thread, Problem turned out to be a 5" by 5" hole in the back of the engine, Lost half a conrod by looks of it along with the oil sprays!
Thanks given by:
Bugger!
Thanks given by:
[Image: 20140320_161139_zps0f411c96.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nice hole you have there. That's a shame
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've got a spare bottom end minus sump
Thanks given by:
Ive got a new engine from pug performance already chap :p