Really stiff gearstick

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really stiff gearstick
After driving my brothers dturbo today I noticed how easily the gear change was, I just assumed mine was normal as tge clutch is really heavy too.
Getting it in too any gear requires a little force and effort, its not crunching etc definitely dont think its the box itself but the linkage or maybe the mount itself?

Not had a chance to look at it yet has anyone else had this before?
Thanks given by:
Mine just doesnt go into first. Its a constant problem. Then again mine is stupidly short, people say wtf when they see it and nobody likes touching it! D:
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2014, 07:20 PM)SRowell Wrote: people say wtf when they see it and nobody likes touching it! D:

lmao
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
You laugh, I had his tip come off in my hand at ace last month!
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2014, 07:53 PM)Grant Wrote: You laugh, I had his tip come off in my hand at ace last month!

To be fair mate you did twist it a lot! Left me bare shaft!
Thanks given by:
Mines always stiff in the morning. Dodgy

Loosens up after a few miles though, and is silky smooth and easy for the rest of the drive then.

No idea why, its got fresh OEM gearbox oil, new pugracing gear links and even a new clutch so its not even like that's dragging....just a 306 'thing' I guess!
Thanks given by:
Im guessing its either the linkage or mount, more the mount though as theres a bit of movement in it putting my foot down and letting it off the gas again.
Either way want it sorted its not very nice to drive now I know its not right, my bro has a dturbo broken in bits not sure if the mount will be tge same
Thanks given by:
The gearbox mount? They're all the same afaik. Mine has a new one of those as well though...
Thanks given by:
Mine is stiff in the mornings too.
Thanks given by:
Yeh im thinking its the gearbox mount, there is movement in my gearstick pooting my foot down on the gas and letting it off again I may be wrong but worth a look it might even be as simple as the gearstick run dry of grease lol
Thanks given by:
Could possibly be the lower engine mount....its the only one I haven't changed on mine and I still get a jerk when putting my foot down... (The innuendoes in this thread are getting silly haha)
Thanks given by:
That is normally a sign if lower engine mount or wishbone bushes.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
so. much. innuendo. i. might. die.
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2014, 11:04 PM)Grant Wrote: That is normally a sign if lower engine mount or wishbone bushes.

Mnes had wishbone bushes too... lol

Only thing it hasn't had is the lower mount....cos its too much of a pita to change lol.
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2014, 11:04 PM)Matt Wrote: so. much. innuendo. i. might. die.

inyourendo!
Thanks given by:
Balls! you need to lube your balls.

My gear changes were stiff and squeaky until I greased the ball thing thats attached to the subframe under the exhaust.

I think they dry out from the heat from the exhaust and they're open to the elements so get shit in them.

Give it a good clean with WD40 and then grease it up.
Thanks given by:
Sounds about right mate will give that a go before I give myself more work thans needed
Thanks given by:
Managed to get some spare time to have a look at this.

The ball under the car was completely dry put ots of grease on it had a look at the linkage to, the joints where old and rusty looking sprayed them with wd and greased them up to, if it werent so hard yo get to I would have whipped it out and gave it a good wire brush and grease.

It has improoved a little will give it a week and regrease it all.

My mounts away like I thought will need to sort that out at somepoint too.

Noticed a big nasty hole under drivers sideskirt while I was under the car I thought it was really clean till now, one job that will need doing before mot!
Thanks given by:
(11-03-2014, 12:58 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(10-03-2014, 11:04 PM)Matt Wrote: so. much. innuendo. i. might. die.

inyoureddoe!

Ftfy. Wink

I was going to post exactly the same thing Matt, actually lol'd at some! lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I bet it's the synchro's. Most 306's have this and it's a nightmare because people force them into gear at too high a speed. My 106 had the same problem and refused to go into 2rd or 3st when it was cold.

Inb4 i saw this was solved. Lol i should start reading posts

Inb5 i never read
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Worth mentioning you can buy a replacement bush for that ball. Was cheap too iirc.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2014, 07:22 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: I bet it's the synchro's. Most 306's have this and it's a nightmare because people force them into gear at too high a speed.

It because dumb bastards put EP or 75w90 oil in and f*ck the syncro cones. Or bend the selector forks after putting the wrong oil in and trying to force it into gear because of it.
With the right oil there's no issues, the gearchange on my MA box was one of the best I've felt on anything I've driven (well, bar a sequential with airshifter Big Grin )
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Mine is hard to get into first and second whilst I am moving at slow speed, just put 2 litres of fresh pug oil in too
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If it's ever had EP oil in, it stays on the synchro cones without a lot of flushing. Couple of changes with a thin ATF sometimes flushes it out.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
I know its old but did you figure out what was it?
Mine also wobbles when putting/releasing gas pedal and its hard To get in 1st at start
Thanks given by:
Wobble will probably mean the engine mounts are shot.
Thanks given by: mangler
(02-04-2018, 10:07 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Wobble will probably mean the engine mounts are shot.

Thanks! Also putting 1st is hard only on engine started, when its rested it is easy to shift.. Does it make sense?
Thanks given by:
How is it going into reverse?

If it's the same it's mostly a worn clutch or cable making the clutch drag.

Wobble is worn out engine mounts.

Stiff movement I've found to be the pivot bush under the gearstick, under the car. Take the bolt out and grease the bolt that's at the bottom of the shaft.

While down there grease the ball that pivots on the subframe lever.
Thanks given by: mangler
(04-04-2018, 09:04 AM)DeeTurbo Wrote: How is it going into reverse?

If it's the same it's mostly a worn clutch or cable making the clutch drag.

Wobble is worn out engine mounts.

Stiff movement I've found to be the pivot bush under the gearstick, under the car. Take the bolt out and grease the bolt that's at the bottom of the  shaft.

While down there grease the ball that pivots on the subframe lever.

Thanks Alot!
My clutch cable is manually adjustable so how much of precision is required in that regulation? lets say 1-5 mm or more?
I have experimented with regulation and it seems to get better with some position..
also I can hear whirling sound when clutch pedal is rested and then if I press it the sound stops so it could be some bearing worn?.. if joints were in need of lubrication would not it be stiff when engine is off? mine shifts good when engine is off, stiffness occurs only when it is running
Cheers!
Thanks given by:
Yes, joints will be stiff all the time if it was them.

Try 2mm adjustment see how that goes.

There are measurements listed in the Haynes manual, I'll see if I can find them.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't engage 1st or 2nd gear (gearstick won't move left) CaptainHair 4 2,354 09-06-2018, 09:44 AM
Last Post: ROBCAT
  stiff lower gears selection Magenta Sunset 3 1,211 15-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Rear beam stiff on one side WILL1000 14 2,392 23-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191