Help please.... Before i burn it.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help please.... Before i burn it.
Righto, Lucas pump failed so got a 2nd had bosch pump, lines and injectors.

Fitted all, finally got timing that i was happy with, all holes line up perfect after turning over a few times.

After a lot of cranking it finally started but there is a horrendous loud knocking noise coming from engine.
cracked injectors and theres diesel coming to them all fine but theres still a horrendous knocking noise, drove up road and seriously down on power and still knocking terribly.

Tappets have recently been set along with valves ground in and new head gasket so only thing can be is injection problem?

Any ideas as to what the hell is wrong?

or fixes, almost at the end of my tether with it!!!
Thanks given by:
how far advanced/retarded is it?

sounds like that needs sorting
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It does sound like Knackered injectors to me. Put the lucas one in for now
Thanks given by:
Are you using the pump bracket that came with the bosch or are you using the lucas bracket?
Did the bosch come off a recently working engine?
I stuck a pump on that had been lying around and it ran like shit, removed and opened it up and it was rusted to fcuk!
Thanks given by:
Using lucas bracket, moved studs though.

Was told it was yeah, told me it was only off 2 weeks, vane pump isnt rusted anyway as it is atleast lifting the fuel
Thanks given by:
You sure the bottom end isn't causing the knocking?
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Definitely not a tooth out on the timing belt? I know you had issues when doin it.
Does adjusting the timing on the pump do anything? Any smoke? Colour?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like no fuel running through. Or not enough... ://
Thanks given by:
Dave = Don't see how it would? was running fine before lucas pump went and as no knocking issues?

Anto - dont think so, as i said ie turned it over a few times by hand and it lined up, checked again after running and all holes lined up perfect?

White smoke but very little, almost as if cold. and a bit of black when revved, boy i bought pump off said it was screwed half a turn...
it reduced knock a bit but still there and hard started, would get a vid but battery gone flat from cranking.... either that or starters f*cked...
Thanks given by:
Have you slackened the 3 nuts on the pump and tried advancing or retarding it?

If that doesnt work, slacken of the union on 1 injector at a time to see if it stops the knocking.
Thanks given by:
(09-03-2014, 12:32 AM)sweeney1987 Wrote: Dave = Don't see how it would? was running fine before lucas pump went and as no knocking issues?

Sorry just read your first post again and missed that!

You sure you used the bosch lines cos it sounds just like when I got my lines mixed?
Thanks given by:
(09-03-2014, 12:56 AM)ConorTRG Wrote: Have you slackened the 3 nuts on the pump and tried advancing or retarding it?

If that doesnt work, slacken of the union on 1 injector at a time to see if it stops the knocking.
Yeap, tried that and still knocking, diesel squirting out of each when slackened

(09-03-2014, 02:10 AM)Dave Wrote:
(09-03-2014, 12:32 AM)sweeney1987 Wrote: Dave = Don't see how it would? was running fine before lucas pump went and as no knocking issues?

Sorry just read your first post again and missed that!

You sure you used the bosch lines cos it sounds just like when I got my lines mixed?

Not 100% now, think theyre right, which line is meant to connect to which injector outlet?
Thanks given by:
Got this order after a quick google:

Timing belt 1 2 3 4 Gearbox

If thats correct then mine too is correct. Stumped
Thanks given by:
I would double check that, find a photo of someone's block.
Thanks given by:
[Image: IMG_20140304_165852.jpg]

Looks like your info is right.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Going to try a different set of injectors today.

Just to be sure thought about pump timing, the studs are meant to be in the more clockwise (right) position for bosch pump fitting yes?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like it might be pre det causing horrendous knock timing out of belt or advance retard on pump? If everything came off running engine it would suggest this
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
new injectors put in and no difference, going to try retiming again, if it doesnt work i guess recheck valve clearences and maybe pressure test...
Thanks given by:
I still think the pump is probably rammed full of rust/ residue and general shit tbh
Thanks given by:
When you blip the throttle does it rev up like its responsive or is it very slow and numb? So to speak. Do you have a hand primer?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(14-03-2014, 07:07 PM)anto Wrote: I still think the pump is probably rammed full of rust/ residue and general shit tbh
Could well be to be honest, guy i bought it off had it full of diesel though..
it wont eventually clear itself if driven will it?...

(14-03-2014, 07:34 PM)Tom Wrote: When you blip the throttle does it rev up like its responsive or is it very slow and numb? So to speak. Do you have a hand primer?

slow and numb id say, no power to it at all like
Thanks given by:
Run it up and prime as you rev and see what happens. Also take the return fuel line off and see if theres fuel coming out when running.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(14-03-2014, 07:45 PM)sweeney1987 Wrote:
(14-03-2014, 07:07 PM)anto Wrote: I still think the pump is probably rammed full of rust/ residue and general shit tbh
Could well be to be honest, guy i bought it off had it full of diesel though..
it wont eventually clear itself if driven will it?...

(14-03-2014, 07:34 PM)Tom Wrote: When you blip the throttle does it rev up like its responsive or is it very slow and numb? So to speak. Do you have a hand primer?

slow and numb id say, no power to it at all like

This is what i found when i opened a pump after it ran like you are describing;
I wouldnt say itl clear itself.

[Image: DSC00178.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cant see the vane pump in that picture though, thats my train of thought atm...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
The vane pump wasnt any better lol
Thanks given by:
Haha mental that it was still running even after trying to shift all that lol !!
Thanks given by:
balls anto, dont be giving me new like that.
Might try rip apart and clean another rusted pump i have and try get it running that way.
cheers lads.
Thanks given by:
If any consolation I'll give ya few Euro for the governor cradle from the pump if you don't get it going.
Thanks given by:
Latest problem, was running ok last weekend but diesel pissing from main shaft.

New seal in, retimed but now theres a constant stream of white smoke(Unburnt diesel?)

any suggestions again o do i just need to keep messing with timing....

How much you offering for a gov cradle seany? ive found 3 pumps here in the hunt for parts....
Thanks given by:
The white smoke can be timing out as well...
Thanks given by: