Toms306s Project - Fodge!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toms306s Project - Fodge!
Its still a VAG though lol.........how do you know the new owner didnt ruin it? :think:
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:Its still a VAGaygay though lol.........how do you know the new owner didnt ruin it? :think:

Well, first of all it's not a vag in my eyes. To me, vag is the platform-sharing cars from VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda. The 80 was made when Audi designs were unique, and it shows. The quality is unbelievable, it makes my Skoda look like a Fiat it's that solid, and it's unbelievably smooth and quiet to drive.

Second, I've kept in touch with the new owner through his Audi forum, he's a huge Audi fanboy and he's spent a lot on it, and it's one of 6 Audis he owns. Not the kind to abuse a car Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:
THE_Liam Wrote:How the hell have you got 2 cars on 40 quid a week?!?!

Its not £40 a week, thats just the 'basic' rate if you like, I do various things at weekends to earn money too.

However, I saved a fair amount of money from when I was working....plus due to not so great circumstances, have had 3 lotsof inheritance fairly recently.

I don't mind buying cars as you can 'most' of the money back, I mean I can't lose out ona £400 NAD lol, but when it comes to expensive parts breaking....thats when I realise I really can't afford a VAGaygay tbh.

I know I'll get plenty of 'told you so' but meh, I was still working when I bought the first golf, I wasn't to know what would happen shortly after that.

sorry to hear about you losing family again Sad
if i was you, id sort me self out 1st money wise and leave the golf a lone.
Thanks given by:
Thanks procta, not gonna lie, this year hasn't been great for varios reasons but let's keep this thread for the car. Smile

As for leaving the golf for now....the rents won't have that lol, they're already fed up with it being on stands on the drive. Best thing money wise is to fix and sell I think.
Thanks given by:
Erm.....need help pretty quicly...........I'm now off to buy parts......

I know i need the mani gaskets and oil and filter. But do I need anything else?

Also what should I clean the inlet mani with (thats cheap)??

And lastly, the oil bolt with holes in it (banjo?), do I need to replace that? And do I need to line the holes with anything?

Quick replies appreciated!
Cheers
Thanks given by:
clean with carb cleaner?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
lolsteve Wrote:clean with carb cleaner?

That's expensive though.....although compared to the 100 I just spent at vw trade shop....with discount...not much Haha. Anyway, bought some cheap degreaser stuff so hopefully that'll take the crap off it.
Thanks given by:
White spirit or any solvent
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Paraffin gets carbon off very quickly, leave it soaking in that Wink
Thanks given by:
well tom how we getting on with this?
Thanks given by:
procta Wrote:well tom how we getting on with this?

Waiting for the courier to bring the turbo....still. :problem:

Annoyingly, if it isn't here tomorow, it won't get fitted until next weekend. Sad
Thanks given by:
Couple of pics just to keep it going.....

Plenty of space now.... Big Grin
[attachment=1]

And ocd ftw... Tongue
[attachment=0]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Hate those feckin drive shaft bolts... :evil:
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
nice one tom! see, see how much you are learning!
Thanks given by:
Alee83 Wrote:Hate those feckin drive shaft bolts... :evil:

Yeah you're supposed to take the shaft out for the turbo aswell lol....not if you take it out the top though. Big Grin

And it needs a boot on the otherside....but I'm not doing it lol, don't have the right size spline tool.
Thanks given by:
procta Wrote:nice one tom! see, see how much you are learning!

True, between the golf and the NAD learning loads tbh. Just wish it didn't cost so much to learn stuff!

And as for learning from mistakes...I've put the axle stands on concrete slabs this time. Wink
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:
procta Wrote:nice one tom! see, see how much you are learning!

True, between the golf and the NAD learning loads tbh. Just wish it didn't cost so much to learn stuff!

And as for learning from mistakes...I've put the axle stands on concrete slabs this time. Wink
missed that one tom with the axle stands, what did you do?
yeah you will be as they are different ball came to each other in away. ones basic as f*ck and the other is complex. sort of like me with the 306 and the rover.
once this is back up and running, why not keep the NAD for learning on, or even better build a 1.6 gti out of it? like i did with the rover.
Thanks given by:
The 106 fell off the stands one night lol, lucky it was on sandy driveway or the disc would have shattered. lol

Anyway, totally down to money tbh, if I can afford to insure 2 cars then the nad will stay until it dies probably. Smile
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:The 106 fell off the stands one night lol, lucky it was on sandy driveway or the disc would have shattered. lol

Anyway, totally down to money tbh, if I can afford to insure 2 cars then the nad will stay until it dies probably. Smile

i have always been wary of stands, i put the jack under still so if a stand gives way the jack still holds the car,
Thanks given by:
procta Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:The 106 fell off the stands one night lol, lucky it was on sandy driveway or the disc would have shattered. lol

i have always been wary of stands, i put the jack under still so if a stand gives way the jack still holds the car,

Yeah i do too, but I didn't want to leave the jack over night incase someone stole it lol.
Thanks given by:
Right...the golfs all back together...but now it sounds weird. :/

Now I'm hoping that either -

a) I'm used to the NAD noise which is very different from the golf and theres actually no problem

b) it's knocking its tits off cos there's probably still some degreaser/carb cleaner in the mani - but it doesn't sound like diesel knock to me :?

c)The decat has 'exaggerated' the noise so i never noticed it before (hear it through the exhaust too, so must be engine noise rtaher than anything else in the bay.)

d) somethings f*cked....

So yeah, not the best vids and the phone distorts the noise a bit, but its a clanging noise (not a tinging like normal diesel knock).....and watch for the phone drop fail at the end of the first vid lol.

[Image: Picture001.jpg]

[Image: Picture002.jpg]

edit - f*ck sake....that didnt work. :roll:
Thanks given by:
[Image: th_VIDEO0010.jpg]

[Image: th_VIDEO0011.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cant really hear it on the video mate. Sounds alright to me. Sounds like a derv!
Thanks given by:
It sounds industrial and mechanical like an xud, not like anice refined pd! Confusedhock: and you can hear it on the vid, sounds awful when I rev it, and when the cameras near the exhast.
Thanks given by:
Hmmm well have you checked the rear differential? If you get a reach around in you may be able to fix it with some double ended screws and then tidy it up with some tartan paint.
Thanks given by:
Mate have you still got my long weight?......seems to be taking ages to get here.....
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:Mate have you still got my long weight?......seems to be taking ages to get here.....

lmao Yeh my long stand hasnt arrived yet either! My buly buy on spirit level bubbles hasnt arrived either i just keep losing the damn things! Still at least ive still got my left handed hammer, hole remover and verbal agreement forms.
Thanks given by:
Did you check the knackered blower for any broken blades or other bits? And you flushed and changed the oil?
Thanks given by:
Yep, the only thing actually broken on it was the oil seal, almost no shaft play and definitely no visible damage to fins.....I didn't take it apart though so don't know if anything broke inside.

And yeah I flushed and changed oil and filter......both the sump plug and the oil filter cover were bloody tight though, as though they'd had a lot of pressure on them....but that may have been cos it was cold and I always run the engine before an oil change usually....
Thanks given by:
I'm glad you sorted the oil line out...............there was going to be some serious abuse, you posted a picture of the oil line with the union nut loose (as in the nut that holds the oil line in place so it is just sat there in the adaptor) and then ask how to remove it because you can't get to the nut.............. *facepalm* lmao I think this was made funnier by the fact that everyone posting was suggesting different spanners to undo the oil line that isn't even connected.............haha

At least its back together now, I haven't watched the vids because I am on works computer with no sound so its not like its going to help anything if I do watch them!

Good luck with this and I do hope you get it sorted Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toms306s "Bit Of A 'State" Toms306 227 86,919 12-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191